HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
According to the specs it should noyt draw more than 43A.

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
Spec.
Kv: 2800 rpm/v
Voltage: 14.8(4s)
No load Current: 2.8A
Max Current: 43A
Max Power: 630W
Shaft Size : 4mm
Shaft Length: 16mm
Dimension: 34mm x 28mm
Thrust: 1200g
Weight: 97g

Do you think it will hold it?

That's a good question, I think it all depends on how much extra heat is being created from the extra load of the fan. I think the spec is based on what is expected performance from a regular fan, not necessarily the max it can handle. For example people run 5S on some of these motors with traditional fan types and the motors cope well, as long as the cooling is there and the ESC is up to the job.
Will the L2855-2800 be reliable with the CS70-10 fan? Guess I'll find out!
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
According to the specs it should noyt draw more than 43A.

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
Spec.
Kv: 2800 rpm/v
Voltage: 14.8(4s)
No load Current: 2.8A
Max Current: 43A
Max Power: 630W
Shaft Size : 4mm
Shaft Length: 16mm
Dimension: 34mm x 28mm
Thrust: 1200g
Weight: 97g

Do you think it will hold it?
The motor will hold and work fine but the load voltage in this data is kinda low....the thrust and amps will go up...around 60ish amps...3lbs - ish thrust IIRC
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Will the L2855-2800 be reliable with the CS70-10 fan? Guess I'll find out!
Can't wait to see how it does. I had the same motor and fan ready to go in but held off bc if other threads i read. Supposedly these motors WILL work but the stress of this set up dramatically decreases their life span. In the CS10 thread they tested all sorts of motors and there is no ONE motor that is best. Just depends on what you are looking for. The good thing about these L2855's is they are cheap, bad thing is they take forever to ship from China. When i got mine in the mail i had forgot that i even ordered it.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:57 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Was this your first run-up in the fixture? How fast did you increase the throttle?

Those plastic EDF shrouds are relatively easy to flex and deform. If you raise the throttle gradually, you will be able to detect if the blades are rubbing at a lower RPM. When mounting the unit, I suggest doing it with the lip ring installed as a brace to minimize the chance of the duct flexing.

You also do not need to go to full power to balance, just enough where vibration starts to happen, and then consistently return to that setting during the balancing process.
Just now getting back to this thread. This was the first run up. I increased the throttle slowly up to about half and then back down. Then slowly up to full and then back down. Then on the third try at about 3/4 throttle the fan blade flew off. What do you mean by "lip ring" ? Do you mean the entire foam ring the EDF sits in? There is a picture of my test rig on the "Balancing an EDF using a cell phone" thread. It's either the last page or second to last.

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:04 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
I shredded my hand testing a CS10 fan earlier. Been having problems either with the grub screws not being tight enough/slipping/sloppy drill holes, or the housing distorted striking the fan blade at RPM. Not sure which. Testing it in the plane and it's not striking the shroud but it's slipping on the motor shaft. I really like collets better.
In any case I learned a valuable lesson on how dangerous these fans become if they let go!

I also learned any test jig when spooling up the motor/fan, the fan shroud should be fully supported like it is in the plane or it will bend and distort and cause a blade strike too.

What's your set-up? Still have the stock exceed fan/motor, just plug her in and go. Not super powerful. (you may have it if is enough fan/motor for you)
I'm determined to get this Change Sun 10 blader working than start messing with a 12 blade later myself.
Right now I think it's slipping because the amps are down, not where I thought it would be for a static test (30amps on 2800kv lol).
I have pics at the end of the "balancing an EDF with a cell phone" thread. It appears that I need to modify the mounting system to somehow fully support the fan shroud. Do you still have the stock fan/motor? I would gladly by it from you.

WTN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:30 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
i still got my eflite motor and fan if you are interested in that.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:53 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
So this is the stock unit that came with the F18? If so, send me a PM with a price that you want. It will ship to 77099, Houston, TX. The Nitroplanes site is out of stock for the fan unit.

WTN
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:49 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I replied to your PM, but I do not know if anything was sent. Let me know here if you did not receive my message.

WTN
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:01 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Got some more flight testing this past weekend, the camera has a hard time with this color scheme! For anyone interested the wing has no spar gong through the fuse! Of course I don't have the added weight of retracts either!

Walts New 70mm F18 (3 min 58 sec)

Walts New F18 Part2 (4 min 49 sec)
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3rd-dem; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:21 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
For anyone interested the wing has no spar gong through the fuse! Of course I don't have the added weight of retracts either!
Here is my blog, check my pics to see how i added the spar all the way through.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Just now getting back to this thread. This was the first run up. I increased the throttle slowly up to about half and then back down. Then slowly up to full and then back down. Then on the third try at about 3/4 throttle the fan blade flew off. What do you mean by "lip ring" ? Do you mean the entire foam ring the EDF sits in? There is a picture of my test rig on the "Balancing an EDF using a cell phone" thread. It's either the last page or second to last.

WTN
I see what you mean by a "Lip Ring". The stock RTF F18 EDF has no lip ring at all.

WTN
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
I incorporated the lip on the CS10 in this one;
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:43 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
I incorporated the lip on the CS10 in this one;
is that the same setup that you had the videos of a couple posts ago?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
yes it is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:36 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
yes it is.
nice work. looks like she flies nicely too. Wish i would have had some luck with my retracts but i've already moved on :\