HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:57 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerkon View Post
Does this mean you are going to sell the airframe? I'd be interested in buying that from you. I live on the east coast usa.
Thx for your time.
honestly i would be willing too but its just too big to ship..in the end you would prolly be better off getting the kit from NP, unless you were looking for the blue angel scheme. then still get one from NP and paint it
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:57 AM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Well,

Just spent one hour with a follow up post .

And there it goes.
Been a few days, but I was so disgusted, I set the build project aside and went to other projects. While I was gluing the main wings on, the aileron on the left wing fell off. Just great. I was thinking about hinges, but I just went and ordered a new wing from Nitro. Now I am thinking, are these that fragile? Should I back them up with hinges, or maybe they are not designed to be hinged? Of course the left wing is now firmly glued on, so I will have to cut it out - plus I have the CF rod to contend with. Gee, this is fun.

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
i never had problems with my foam pressed hinges but if i were you i would just go with plastic hinges. would be way easier and more reliable.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:45 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
I was looking at this pic and thinking, if they would mount the retracts at a 30*-40* angle they may be able to pull of a more scale look and a WAY more reliable gear in general. Notice in this pic the wheels are wider than the vertical stabs, where as in our model, the gear are about as wide as the stabs if not a little more narrow. Also i think a scale model would sit a little lower to the ground than our model. Just an observation i made.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:44 AM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
i never had problems with my foam pressed hinges but if i were you i would just go with plastic hinges. would be way easier and more reliable.
So, this is doable? I have seen some small plastic hinges at the LHS.

Two per side? Screw and glue?

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I was looking at this pic and thinking, if they would mount the retracts at a 30*-40* angle they may be able to pull of a more scale look and a WAY more reliable gear in general. Notice in this pic the wheels are wider than the vertical stabs, where as in our model, the gear are about as wide as the stabs if not a little more narrow. Also i think a scale model would sit a little lower to the ground than our model. Just an observation i made.
you're right on the gear...

Makes me think we can put a shim on one side of the gear for a wider stance and it'll still fold up into the wheel spaces.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
So, this is doable? I have seen some small plastic hinges at the LHS.

Two per side? Screw and glue?

WTN
Easy to do actually. I did it on a few planes bc their foam hinges looked no good. I also did it for the rudder on this plane. On this plane i would go 3 each side just bc there is more force exerted on it than a slower prop plane.

Quote:
you're right on the gear...

Makes me think we can put a shim on one side of the gear for a wider stance and it'll still fold up into the wheel spaces.
possible, but you would probably have to shave the wheel wells a little bit. not a huge deal. The other thing that comes to mind is the shaft that connects the strut to the retract, thats the part on mine that had the most issue. May not be strong enough if not vertical, but that comes down to your planes weight.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Can you buy this plane anywhere other than nitroplanes? NP just has ridiculous shipping costs to Australia.
Mesher is offline Find More Posts by Mesher
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:03 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,396 Posts
Try; www.x-flight.com.hk
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:12 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,041 Posts
Would Hong Kong be any better?

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...=1&new=&more=&
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:24 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,396 Posts
I am yet to pull the trigger on the F-18 70mm but when I looked at the shipping it was only about $30.00.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
I am yet to pull the trigger on the F-18 70mm but when I looked at the shipping it was only about $30.00.
Cool thx I'll have a look!
Mesher is offline Find More Posts by Mesher
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2007
22 Posts
Agreed totally, ridiculous shipping charge and took 3 weeks to arrived.
gilera180 is offline Find More Posts by gilera180
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
238 Posts
I just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my Exceed RC F/A-18F Super Hornet while I'm at work on a 12 hour "watch" at my US Navy squadron VFA-87.
Specs for my jet:

>RCLander 68mm DPS 2200KV 6S EDF unit
>80A Detrum ESC with 5A BEC
>Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 6S battery
>2 RCLander LS-2 metal gear servos for elevators, 2 Detrum 9g standard servos for ailerons, and 2 stock old plane servos for rudders
>Maxilights custom lights kit

More information in my blog. Hope you like!
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:29 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Good Ol' Oceana.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83