HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Anyone remember the exact CG spot for this guy? I threw that out a long time ago.

I have more tail weight and turns out my nano-techs are lighter then the zippys. Equalized that basically with pilots, but will have to move the battery forward.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
664mm from the nose or 75mm from where th main wing connects at the leading edge.
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
664mm from the nose or 75mm from where th main wing connects at the leading edge.
Thanks! Going to do a finger balance and see where the battery needs to be Velcro'd down. Forgot where. Right now with the battery in a neutral spot the CG is about 1/3 down the cord. Bit tail heavy.

PS, I fired everything up last night... the motor is pretty loud (at least indoors) but holey white noise batman... I think the AB LEDs perhaps add to it. Not good for performance but was sounding pretty sick. Only did half throttle as it was 3am.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Thanks! Going to do a finger balance and see where the battery needs to be Velcro'd down. Forgot where. Right now with the battery in a neutral spot the CG is about 1/3 down the cord. Bit tail heavy.

PS, I fired everything up last night... the motor is pretty loud (at least indoors) but holey white noise batman... I think the AB LEDs perhaps add to it. Not good for performance but was sounding pretty sick. Only did half throttle as it was 3am.
Mine sounded far louder inside in the video than on my work stand. I'm almost afraid I killed all the white noise making ability of this air-frame when I cleaned up the intake and exhaust. Might have to borrow your afterburner idea!
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:00 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
Mine sounded far louder inside in the video than on my work stand. I'm almost afraid I killed all the white noise making ability of this air-frame when I cleaned up the intake and exhaust. Might have to borrow your afterburner idea!
Oh yeah I took the opposite route, shes a dirty girl. Behind the fan is a layer of aluminum tape for a reflector, stick down LEDs which are bumpy and criss-crossing over each other through the air stream to mix red and yellow. On top of that I slapped down some clear packing tape to hold it in place (still have to trim some of it back).

Before the fan I opened back up the main landing gear holes I previously covered with packing tape to dump turbulent air onto the fan blades, and be cheater holes obviously for the higher power air needs at low speed.

Definitely not shooting for top speed records.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Landing Gear??

anyone using the stock landing gear on a plane heavier than 2.5kg?

any other suggestions for landing gear otherwise?

I was considering these...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oy_Wheels.html
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:46 PM
Italia, Puglia, Porto Cesareo
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
I am very willing to buy this jet.
can anyone tell me how many kv is the motor stock?
the original stock model flies well? the fan can push right? or need to fly fast upgarde?
the size of the plane are sufficient or too small? (meaning, in the air you see right?)
I recommended buying this jet?
Matty001 is offline Find More Posts by Matty001
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:57 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty001 View Post
I am very willing to buy this jet.
can anyone tell me how many kv is the motor stock?
the original stock model flies well? the fan can push right? or need to fly fast upgarde?
the size of the plane are sufficient or too small? (meaning, in the air you see right?)
I recommended buying this jet?
Not sure the stock KV, but I would estimate it around 2600-2700kv. It flies pretty good stock if you keep the weight down. Fast enough if you are new to jets.

It is very visible in the air, in fact it is a slightly larger airframe then many other 70mm, which makes it easy to see but a touch slower as it is draggier. To get great top speed you will need to up the power set-up, but try it out of the box if you buy a ARF and see what you more you would want.
It isn't 1:1 in power like Nitro might claim but mine flew good.

I flew mine stock last year. No upgrades. It flew great without landing gear this way as the jet was really light. It's incredibly easy to land, lots of float.

Already posted once or twice in this thread but the only hornet flight vid I have (and it's bone stock as shipped from Nitroplanes with an addition of the spectrum ar600 rx)

Exceed F-18 Super Hornet 70mm EDF (stock ARF) (3 min 15 sec)

I recommend the plane, it's my favourite in my fleet. My poor Parkzone planes aren't getting the love (or the beating) they used too.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:32 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
I think i am going to part this out due to lack of interest from other purchasers. I will save all my servos and sell fan/motor/esc/gear things like that. If anyone has any interest let me know i will let you guys have first go at it since you all helped me so much.

motor/fan: E-flite BL15 3200kv in the Delta V 69mm fan
esc: E-flight Pro switching 80amp

send me a message if you have an offer otherwise i will be posting it to the classifieds.

Sucks to take such a hit on this bc it was a joy to build and fly but the gear is something i need personally and they just don't live up to the challenge of this planes weight. Gonna put the money i get into my Zero and/or get a FMS 1.4M FW190. Thanks again for all your help guys!
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:24 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Dan, why not try some HK retracts? Lot's of servoless retracts are better than the exceed set. In fact from the sounds of it, almost all of them!
Grab something over capacity for safety margin.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
752 Posts
better retracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Dan, why not try some HK retracts? Lot's of servoless retracts are better than the exceed set. In fact from the sounds of it, almost all of them!
Grab something over capacity for safety margin.
+1. With some bigger ply for a foundation.
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:45 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
its not the retracts really. Surprisingly the retracts themselves have been a non-issue. For me its more so the struts. As they are now its already hard enough for me to not tip. Mix that with the fact i can get 10 minutes plus out of the same batteries in my warbirds and its just a more enjoyable experience for me to go that route. Im gonna keep the air frame hanging around in case i decide to do the CS10 some time down the road. But for now this is what i have decided to do.

I really am not taking as much of a hit as i originally anticipated. On the 1.4M warbirds i like, i use the MG servos in the ailerons for added safety so i will have a home for some servos. Pretty much my 3 HS55s will be the ones not reused.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:03 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
its not the retracts really. Surprisingly the retracts themselves have been a non-issue. For me its more so the struts. As they are now its already hard enough for me to not tip. Mix that with the fact i can get 10 minutes plus out of the same batteries in my warbirds and its just a more enjoyable experience for me to go that route. Im gonna keep the air frame hanging around in case i decide to do the CS10 some time down the road. But for now this is what i have decided to do.

I really am not taking as much of a hit as i originally anticipated. On the 1.4M warbirds i like, i use the MG servos in the ailerons for added safety so i will have a home for some servos. Pretty much my 3 HS55s will be the ones not reused.
Right on Brother, I like my warbirds too, it's different. In any case when the warbirds get even bigger and faster and 5S becomes normal you got the right motor/fan for the F-18. BTW, shipped that ESC, a bit later than I said I would before though, new kids slowed me down. lol Glad you are keeping the airframe.

Also can't argue about the stance of the landing gear, which is why I took mine off (even the non retracts are bad). Not scale, the real mains basically fold in half and go wide. The narrow track with what is available at the moment from scale positioning of the landing gear just doesn't work all that well yet.

Landing gear was a no-joy for me too, and it's a notable thing too for everyone else, the real enjoyment comes from a belly lander set-up for a lot of people.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, MD, Nottingham
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I think i am going to part this out due to lack of interest from other purchasers.
Does this mean you are going to sell the airframe? I'd be interested in buying that from you. I live on the east coast usa.
Thx for your time.
sheerkon is offline Find More Posts by sheerkon
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:26 AM
United States, MD, Nottingham
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Crap nevermind.. just saw you other post.
Take care.
sheerkon is offline Find More Posts by sheerkon