HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:34 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Ha-ha, I will be using EXACTLY the same batteries as you. I'm not kidding, lol. They are sitting right here.

My ONLY problem is trying to find an ESC that isn't huge )or cost a boatload like castle creations) that can handle 125-150A. I have two Hobbywing 150A ESC's, but they are enormous, and I don't think it will fit in the center fuselage of this F-18. The reason I want to use a high Amp. ESC is for the Amp draw the MB-1 creates running 5S (100-125A). Here's my ESC: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8920

Rugflyer, what timing settings did you have using the MB-1 on 5S (I'm assuming you had the whole Sapac rotor/70mm combo) that created 125A?

I wonder if I kept the timing on low/medium, if a 100A ESC would be enough. People seem to be drawing anywhere from 100-125A with the MB-1 on 5S.
T-Cat, I hear ya..the MB-1(rotor &70mm combo) numbers I listed above were done with a Turnigy 100A K-Force with the timing set at 22.5 degrees. I also changed to a hard cut-off with the K-Force programmer. I tried every timing & ESC setting in the book and "Flying Frank" here on rcgroups said that this was the only combination that seemed to work for him.

There are some compatibility issues when using the HobbyWing/Turnigy ESC's with the Sapac MB-1 at 5S & 6S. It's called high RPM Stutter, when you you ramp up the throttle, the MB-1 starts to hiccup & stutter at about 1/2 to 2/3's throttle then clears up at max throttle.
When flying my "The Wings Maker Panther DF-032" with this 5S setup Flying Frank recommended I still got some HV cutoff now & again using the 100A K-force ESC, so I guess I'll go with the CC 125A ESC if I go to 5S on the F/A-18...
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Last edited by RugFlyer; Jan 02, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:44 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
Thanks RugFlyer, I remember talking with Frank a little about that. I wonder what is causing the stuttering issue when using the Hobbywing/Turnigy/Exceed ESC's. I may have to use the Castle Creations as well. They seem to be great, but just out of my price range. Looks like I'll have to save for one.

The bad thing about using the Turnigy (or similar) ESC with the MB-1 on 5S is that with the timing on a higher setting should increase heat and Amp draw. That's a loose/loose situation. I wonder if that's part of the reason some people experience heat problems with the Sapac 70mm combo. The increase amp draw also stresses the battery more, and fly time suffers as well, none of which I'm willing to sacrifice to that extreme. Well, this will be my first time using Castle products. I hope I'm satisfied with the product for the price.

Thanks a ton for the great advice. I hope you post some build pics, or flight info. when you get this jet.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:52 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Thanks RugFlyer, I remember talking with Frank a little about that. I wonder what is causing the stuttering issue when using the Hobbywing/Turnigy/Exceed ESC's. I may have to use the Castle Creations as well. They seem to be great, but just out of my price range. Looks like I'll have to save for one.

The bad thing about using the Turnigy (or similar) ESC with the MB-1 on 5S is that with the timing on a higher setting should increase heat and Amp draw. That's a loose/loose situation. I wonder if that's part of the reason some people experience heat problems with the Sapac 70mm combo. The increase amp draw also stresses the battery more, and fly time suffers as well, none of which I'm willing to sacrifice to that extreme. Well, this will be my first time using Castle products. I hope I'm satisfied with the product for the price.

Thanks a ton for the great advice. I hope you post some build pics, or flight info. when you get this jet.
Hey no problem T...I thought the same thing since I started out with Low timing originally to keep the amps & heat down! BTW, 4S is OK with Turnigy ESC's. Just gets funky @ 5s.

I talked with Chuck @ www.chuckshobbies.com (Great Guy & a sponsor on this Forum)at length & he has several customers flying MB-1's on 5S w/ Castle Creations 125A ESC's and he has had No complaints! He gave me a price break on two for my dual MB-1/5S, SU-34...
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Last edited by RugFlyer; Jan 02, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
Hmm......I may have to give him a call then. I have ordered a few things from him before, and his service was fantastic and quick. I have never ordered ESC's from him though. I wonder if he's willing to work a little on the price if I buy a couple as well. Thanks again!
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:28 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
2,866 Posts
T-Cat, remember if you guys go 5s or larger 4s like a 3300 or so to check control rods & servos. The added weight will take a toll on those. Make sure the elevator control rods do not bow with pressure on the elevator like on the T-50. If so a CF tube over the control rod will take care of that problem. You might need to go MG servos for the elevator if the stock ones are week.

I might just have to order one of these. The Dimond Back looks great.

Whoever puts the gear doors on post pics & even video if ya can.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:25 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
I got 72oz of thrust with a MB1 and sapac rotor on 5s (not full charged) and 80 amps.

I'll test again but 4.5pds out of a 70mm fan is pretty decent so hopefully I'll have the same amp draw.

I tested mine on an hk 190amp 7s esc, could it be the bigger the ESC less amps have to be applied?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
T-Cat, remember if you guys go 5s or larger 4s like a 3300 or so to check control rods & servos. The added weight will take a toll on those. Make sure the elevator control rods do not bow with pressure on the elevator like on the T-50. If so a CF tube over the control rod will take care of that problem. You might need to go MG servos for the elevator if the stock ones are week.

I might just have to order one of these. The Dimond Back looks great.

Whoever puts the gear doors on post pics & even video if ya can.
Colorado, how are you man??? I hope your holidays were great. It's good to hear from you, and thank you for the advice. I'll be taking it into account. I plan on using metal gear servos, and using a small piece of fuel tubing around the clevises to secure them. I have some carbon fibers laying around as well if need be. Thanks again.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:40 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Bajora
So you think it could handle taking off and landing in grass
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:19 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
Bajora
So you think it could handle taking off and landing in grass
I know some of you will always ask this question! :}

I won't venture a guess. Too many variables as far as whether your field is bumpy or if the grass is short enough, etc

Personnally, I do not even try to fly any of my EDFs off grass, even the larger 90mm ones. I do not think most of them are really designed for it and there are usually plenty of places to fly off a hard surface if you do a little research. My 2 cents.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
I just got my Jolly Rogers kit! I'm very impressed. It looks amazing, and some of my favorite color combos is black and yellow. This was the natural chide . Everything looks to be damage free.

However, (there normally is at least one "however" ) I only received ONE exhaust tail cone. As we all know, an F-18 has TWO. So, I am curious as to how nitroplanes will deal with this. It's a small matter, but need to be corrected for me to complete the kit. I paid for two haha. Nitroplanes has been great to me in the past, so I'm hoping they follow through.

Andy, if nitroplanes doesn't follow through, can I get a tailcone directly from you in any way?

Andy has done a great job with this jet. It has exactly what I was looking for. There is a carbon spar throughout the both wings that appear to go almost all the way to the wingtip. Also, it did come with two canopies, one single and one double seat. I'm excited to get building within the coming week. However, I'm waiting on an ESC AND hopefully a tailcone .
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,501 Posts
Looking forward to photos of the color scheme you bought T-Cat
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
Thanks! I'll be taking photos either tonight or Wednesday and post them up.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:06 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,024 Posts
Does the ESC mount for good cooling? Just curious because my I thinking of using existing components and I think my ICE75 will be close with the 2w-20 and HET 6904 on 4s.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:54 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
My f18 ships out tomorrow and should be here this weekend along with all the parts for it to!!

T-cat - excited to see your jolly rogers f18, I was going to go with that scheme but there was something telling me to go with the blue angels. Either way its going to be a great plane.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,575 Posts
Excellent!! Congrats j3! Between all of us in this thread we will have pictures of all three color schemes . I can't wait to see others own this jet, as it's always fun to see the building skills and mods. I'll try to post pics as soon as I can of my jet. Also, I almost went with the Blue Angels jet as well, but decided with the jolly. It's true, all the color schemes on this jet are fantastic. I'd love to own all three .