HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:38 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Question for you guys adding the carbon to the wings...Are you able to maintain the anhedral that is built into the jet, or are you ending up with "flat" wings?

FWIW...I have about 50 flights on my f18 now. I built my jet entirely with foamtac. I do mostly scale/sport style of flying, but I dont hesitate to come out of dive WOT. At the right angle, you can see the wings flexing like crazy, but "knock on wood lol", no problems so far. That being said, I am using no LG, "belly lander", running a HET/CS10 set up at about 1000W, Nanotech 3300, and have a RTF weight of 1260 grams.

Of course, YMMV!
Yeah I'm the same, no spar. I sanded off the paint and epoxied the hell out of it. I'm certain the strongest part of my wing is indeed the glued wing root. I know it works like this from crashing my F-4 and breaking the wings everywhere but the glued wing root.
I've seen vid of wings coming off but suspect it may be a case of glue over paint.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
brown - black (-)
orange - red (+)
yellow - white (signal)
Fred,

Thank you.

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:18 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Hope this works:

Right and left rod to fuse. And then my model (Wife for 40 years)

Showing how strong the CB Rod is .

WTN
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:53 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Yeah I'm the same, no spar. I sanded off the paint and epoxied the hell out of it. I'm certain the strongest part of my wing is indeed the glued wing root. I know it works like this from crashing my F-4 and breaking the wings everywhere but the glued wing root.
I've seen vid of wings coming off but suspect it may be a case of glue over paint.

Cant wait to see vids of yours flying with the afterburner mod. Are you using the HK kit?
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
I hate to ask. But what plane in the Clear View Sim works like this F18?

IE: No rudders.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:04 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,448 Posts
There is a clearview model F-86 Sabre, I think it is based on the 50mm EDF, from memory I got it from the links to either Ken's and Gary's sites. It is elevator and aileron only.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:57 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
244 Posts
Just to add to the comments about glueing wings on; and I totally agree to scuffing up the EPO foam first before applying epoxy (actually regardless of the foam type I do this) On all my builds after the glue cures I run medium CA around the entire area to seep into small cracks and such. No "real" weight added and it gives me peace of mind.
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:43 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
I've been sanding the paint off the foam ever since I had wing
come off in mid flight.(64mm F-18).
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:23 PM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
659 Posts
I think this is the same plane ,They are sold as maxthrust here in uk

Maxthrust f-18 super hornet changesun 70mm fan 1750 watts 72 amps 6s nanotech 3300 (3 min 36 sec)
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
A couple things I found to work, especially when not adding the spar, remove the paint at the joint, packing tape works great for this, and poke holes into both joints so the epoxy "grabs". Done it this way with all of mine and have not lost a wing!!
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Can someone tell me what size CF tube I should use to reinforce the control rods? I measure 1.2mm diameter for the rods.

Thanks,

WTN
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunna View Post
I think this is the same plane ,They are sold as maxthrust here in uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj6g-RrcP2Y
WOW!!! Just LOVE that sound!!!

I will put the same fan in mine but on 4S 3300mAh 30C and 3000Kv motor. I hope it will perform and sound like yours.

How is vertical climbing with you set up?
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:31 AM
scunna
Joined May 2007
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
WOW!!! Just LOVE that sound!!!

I will put the same fan in mine but on 4S 3300mAh 30C and 3000Kv motor. I hope it will perform and sound like yours.

How is vertical climbing with you set up?
The thrust is nearly 1-1 .I now have 9 changesun fan models l. if you think that sounds good ,listen to the sound of this

Fly Fly mirage 70 mm changesun 10 blade fan Eflite bl-32 motor 6s 4500 45c nanotech (2 min 43 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:34 AM
scunna
Joined May 2007
659 Posts
These are some of my best sounding 70 mm jets
LX A-10 Changesun 70mm fans Bl-32 motors 5S 8000ma 20-50 c lipo AUW 8.5 pounds (0 min 0 sec)

Lx F-22 Raptor changesun 10 blade 70mm fan Bl-32 motor 5s 4000 45-90c 4 mins wot (4 min 53 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:09 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Cant wait to see vids of yours flying with the afterburner mod. Are you using the HK kit?
Yep, got the HK EDF lighting kit but only running the Throttle/Tail Light channel (afterburners)
I used aluminum tape I had left over after installing a gas dryer for inside reflection and used two yellow and two red LED strips inside also (from hobby partz). The combo of yellow/red admittedly really does look like fire.

I'm not planning on getting her in the air until march, jan/feb is terrible winter weather here, not much fun.
Also between my new aquarium build, this F-18, and twins born on dec.23rd I've got my hands full. Honestly if I have enough time, full flying stabs and variable nozzles are going on before march too. I have it worked out I think.
Like to get as much done on the plane as I can this winter, than flying again when the temperature and wind gets a bit nicer here.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno