HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
You can buy a set of rare earth metal magnets at a craft stores such as Michaels or Jo-Ann for the cost of postage.
I didn't know this. Thank you!
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
973 Posts
Do people on the stock set up have as much of an issue with the retracts as i have had? I am curious if my set up with bigger batteries was maybe too much weight for them to handle.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Hey Ranger, I'll take whatever you have as far as retracts/gear for the F18. I sent you a few messages but they aren't showing as sent for some reason. I can paypal/cash/money order. Looking to get this bird up! So long as Nitroplanes send me a WORKING ESC....I keep hearing more and more problems with them sending broken items. Too bad, they have a good selection, but if you can't get what you pay for then whats the point.

Also fatdann, I would be willing to bet I am the one that contacted you on craiglist, interested in your F18 gear related items as well. That is, if your willing to sell just those.

Also, can any of you suggest a $60ish or less set of gear that would work with this bird? 3mm pref.
Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
973 Posts
Cool. Glad to see you found the site. Like a said, LOTS of information in here

Shoot me a message on here about the retract. I use Cox for e-mail and they have had a HUGE outage of e-mail service lately. Any residential account using cox.net (which mine is) is down since sat and with stay down "until further notice".
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:38 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubieman View Post
Hey Ranger, I'll take whatever you have as far as retracts/gear for the F18. I sent you a few messages but they aren't showing as sent for some reason. I can paypal/cash/money order. Looking to get this bird up! So long as Nitroplanes send me a WORKING ESC....I keep hearing more and more problems with them sending broken items. Too bad, they have a good selection, but if you can't get what you pay for then whats the point.

Also fatdann, I would be willing to bet I am the one that contacted you on craiglist, interested in your F18 gear related items as well. That is, if your willing to sell just those.

Also, can any of you suggest a $60ish or less set of gear that would work with this bird? 3mm pref.
PM'd.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
BUILD cont.

Got a chance to get more done today:

CF tube added through the fuse
Dremel slots in the wing for reinforement
Glue surfaces sanded
Servos dry fitted
Ran some of the wiring

To be honest, I enjoy the building/modeling part just as much as flying
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
BUILD cont.

Decided to do the rudder mod.
Everything is dry fit stage right now...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Do people on the stock set up have as much of an issue with the retracts as i have had? I am curious if my set up with bigger batteries was maybe too much weight for them to handle.
I think that's exactly it. They're designed for the weight of a 2200 and most fly on a 3000 or bigger battery.

The first one I had of these was a receiver ready bird and I maidened it with a 2200. That was a great (but short) flight. I then flew on a 3000 with lead on the tail to create the same balance point. Crushed the retracts on the almost greased landing.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
Got a chance to get more done today:

CF tube added through the fuse
Dremel slots in the wing for reinforement
Glue surfaces sanded
Servos dry fitted
Ran some of the wiring

To be honest, I enjoy the building/modeling part just as much as flying
Curious to see that you made your own carbon-rod installation. There's already hollow carbon rod installed in the wings, along with a molded channel in the fuselage. All I had to do was find the right diameter carbon rod, install it in the channel, then slide the wings on lined up with the installed rods.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:23 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
973 Posts
Quote:
Curious to see that you made your own carbon-rod installation. There's already hollow carbon rod installed in the wings, along with a molded channel in the fuselage. All I had to do was find the right diameter carbon rod, install it in the channel, then slide the wings on lined up with the installed rods.
i did the same thing with a little epoxy to it so its not going any where.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:30 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
The 2 of these that I have gotten had the carbon rod at different levels in the wing, not letting the halves line up!
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Fred,
Yeah, I think I saw your post earlier in this thread and considered that. Being that I got a little hotter setup I figured the "extra" security mod that I saw someone else here do early in the thread would be helpful.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,941 Posts
You could do both for really solid reinforcement
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, MD, Nottingham
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Does anyone other than Nitroplanes sell this plane? It seems they are fresh out of stock on the airframe only kit. I already have the electronics needed, so I didnt want to spend the extra money on parts I dont need.
sheerkon is offline Find More Posts by sheerkon