HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
Expecting delivery of this bird in the next couple of days.
Hope someone can help/clarify...
Assuming that the esc-battery leads need to be extended so the esc can sit in the "vented" location under the fuse. Will the extended run from esc to battery be short enough not to cause added ripple voltage or is the addition of capacitors needed?

In other words - can I just extend the leads and get on with life?
I don't see why not. I added length to my esc leads to get from battery compartment to the belly cooling vents. No problems that I'm aware of.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:45 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
washab's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I don't see why not. I added length to my esc leads to get from battery compartment to the belly cooling vents. No problems that I'm aware of.
Ranger
Thanks. Just had some curiosity about it. Maybe over-thinking the process...
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Washab- What set up do you have planned for yours?
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:14 AM
advanced n00b
xfatdannx's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Washab, part of the reason inwent with 2 2s batteries was bc i needed an extension for the leads coming off the ESC. This meant i had to make a connector to hook 2 batteries up in series and gave me the added length of lead wire needed to make it from battery to ESC. I have had no issues with ith either. I dont think there would be any problem adding a little bit of length to the ESC leads.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
washab's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Washab- What set up do you have planned for yours?
I have a 10 blade aluminum alloy fan unit from HK already sitting around:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1200watt.html

Hobbywing 100A ESC
3300 4S 40C bat
TP mg servos already in my stock as well.

I ran this up on the bench. It was putting out 1040 watts, pulling 77 amps.
I don't care much for having a rocket but figured since I already have these components I'll give it a try. Going to reinforce the heck out of everything as I've read here that some have lost wings.
I'll just fly it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle all the time but nice to know you have that extra punch.

Should have that nice wooosh sound at least.
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Last edited by washab; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:30 AM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
washab's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Washab, part of the reason inwent with 2 2s batteries was bc i needed an extension for the leads coming off the ESC. This meant i had to make a connector to hook 2 batteries up in series and gave me the added length of lead wire needed to make it from battery to ESC. I have had no issues with ith either. I dont think there would be any problem adding a little bit of length to the ESC leads.
thanks for the input. i'll take all into consideration. scheduled delivery for tomorrow
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
I have a 10 blade aluminum alloy fan unit from HK already sitting around:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1200watt.html

Hobbywing 100A ESC
3300 4S 40C bat
TP mg servos already in my stock as well.

I ran this up on the bench. It was putting out 1040 watts, pulling 77 amps.
I don't care much for having a rocket but figured since I already have these components I'll give it a try. Going to reinforce the heck out of everything as I've read here that some have lost wings.
I'll just fly it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle all the time but nice to know you have that extra punch.

Should have that nice wooosh sound at least.
That should rock. I think you'll probably like it
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:58 PM
Defender of the park sky
Ispintechno's Avatar
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
January is my build month, taking some time off work to raise babies. Shot a quick vid of the immediate mods but I've done lots of drawings and mulled over full flying stabs and have the parts too. That will be after.

Exceed F-18E Super Hornet LED Afterburner/Motor Fan change part 1 (2 min 39 sec)
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Has anyone put retracts directly onto the wing on this one? I know it would be the furthest thing from scale but I'm guessing it would greatly improve ground handling. Perhaps you could hide them with ordanance or drop tanks?
Just a thought.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:40 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
January is my build month, taking some time off work to raise babies. Shot a quick vid of the immediate mods but I've done lots of drawings and mulled over full flying stabs and have the parts too. That will be after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4-lcQcTFY
Keep us posted on how this turns out. Interested in the full stabs idea!
And good luck with the babies! Future RC pilots!
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Defender of the park sky
Ispintechno's Avatar
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Keep us posted on how this turns out. Interested in the full stabs idea!
And good luck with the babies! Future RC pilots!
Will do! And thanks!
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
advanced n00b
xfatdannx's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Started getting cold and windy here lately. haven't gone out in two weeks
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
will3kgt's Avatar
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Will do! And thanks!
Good luck with the builds. The CS fan will serve you well defending your side of the lake.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
washab's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Exceed F-18 Delivered

So I got a delivery of this plane the other day ($80 kit version):

1. I did not luck up and get the retracts as a couple here said they did with the $80 kit. No biggie, got what I paid for anyway.

2. This kit version's fuse was already glued-up. Will save me on some glue efforts but now I need to engineer getting a reinforcement CF rod in the correct place for the wings.

3. Didn't see any wing tip rails??? Should I have gotten some

I do like the workmanship on this bird. Can't beat it for an $80 airframe. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Rangerfan's Avatar
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
So I got a delivery of this plane the other day ($80 kit version):

1. I did not luck up and get the retracts as a couple here said they did with the $80 kit. No biggie, got what I paid for anyway.

2. This kit version's fuse was already glued-up. Will save me on some glue efforts but now I need to engineer getting a reinforcement CF rod in the correct place for the wings.

3. Didn't see any wing tip rails??? Should I have gotten some

I do like the workmanship on this bird. Can't beat it for an $80 airframe. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.
I think the wing tip rails have the sidewinder missles on them. If you want rails without missles, I think you'll have to fabricate some from ply or balsa.

You gonna go with landing gear or go football style?
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New! $129 Nitro Planes Rc Landers 70MM F-16D EDF Jet With Retracts FlyBoyTha1 Foamy EDFs 49 Jun 20, 2009 05:58 PM
Discussion Starmax/Exceed RC/Topgun F18-C 70mm what Fan does it use? Stuart B Foamy EDFs 0 May 16, 2009 12:39 PM
New Product New!!! Exceed RC F-22 Raptor 70mm Ducted Fan RC Jet nitroplanes Nitro Planes 9 Apr 19, 2009 08:06 AM
Cool *** UPDATE *** New Version 2 70mm Exceed RC F/A-18C EDF Jet + NEW MOD VIDEO nitroplanes Nitro Planes 2 Mar 20, 2009 05:57 PM