HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I just took my gear out, since my ESC stick down about 3 mm lower than the lowest point of the airframe i am going to epoxy a small piece of CF tube right in front of it, parallel with the wing, so there is a rounded edge in front of it and not the sharp points of my ESC's heat sink.

Now that i took the gear out i am extremely tail heavy even with the batteries in...did you all go with the suggested 75mm CG or further back? (i know this answer is already in the thread i was hoping for a quick reply bc i am working on it right now)

*****update*****

Okay please let me know your opinion bc i am still fairly new to making sure my CG is correct. It balances VERY sturdy at 80mm (propper battery placement required) If it pitches nose up while on the CG machine the nose stays up but the plane does not lose balance. If the nose pitches down the tail is heavy enough to level it out, but again, stays balanced on the machine. Is this a sign of being a TAD tail heavy or is this okay as long as one end or the other is not overly weighted. Maybe when it gets this close is when you get to personal preference?
Might try using a bec as I have in mine with a 3s 450mah helped the balance and no esc failure concerns.It's been my experience that when there is no wind "80mm" CG makes for some more "Maneuverable" flying at the sacrifice of high speed tracking. That said I do fly much more often at the 75mm cg, for what it's worth!
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jul 2012
534 Posts
X- are you planning to hand launch it?
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:52 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
X- are you planning to hand launch it?
Ya, that or i may try the fixed gear to get a little more nose weight. I lost 210g from retracts and their wires.

I cant believe how light the airframe is with no batt or retracts.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:07 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
534 Posts
Hand launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Ya, that or i may try the fixed gear to get a little more nose weight. I lost 210g from retracts and their wires.

I cant believe how light the airframe is with no batt or retracts.
I'm sure plenty of guys here are hand launching this bird and can give you better cg guidance. In my experience hand launching an edf, you want it a bit tail heavy (IMHO). You may be right on.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Touch-n-go

Just thought I would share...
Our beloved F-18
VFA-103 Jolly Rogers - Super Hornet - Close up Touch and Go's! (3 min 11 sec)
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
210 Posts
"T n G's"

Loved it "Wash" - forget a Carnival cruise; I'd be in my glory perched in the CAG seat watching Superbugs make traps on one of your carriers for a week's vacation !!! I'm wishing Canada would take "the plunge" on buying some E models to replace our A's/B's. Alas; we're driving down the rocky road of the F-35.
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
Just thought I would share...
Our beloved F-18
MAN! That is AWESOME!
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF P-47 "Snafu"
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,976 Posts
Hey guys...thanks for the responses about what that side piece was all about in the fuselage. I will get the wings and servo wires all done first, then the retracts.

Quick question: I was going thru the parts last night and found 2 not-so-good things.
BOTH the right wing and stabilizer are badly warped. They are bowed like the shape of a Volkswagon Beetle! I am trying to come up with a way to get them back to a flat shape....at least to match the opposite side. These are just slight warps and will take a good bit of pressure to return to proper shape. I am a bit aggravated at finding them this far out of shape.

Has anyone else found theirs like this? My main worry...IF I can get them flattened out at all.......is that I know how EPO tends to go BACK to it's original shape, so the parts might never stay in proper shape.

I am thinking about just ordering new parts, but that doesn't seem right for a new plane. The rest of the parts are great. Just my normal luck........
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:01 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
I have one wing straight and one bent downward from the factory (nice for a $200.00 plane). At 1st I was worried but it did not make that much of a difference at all in flight. You might want to put a few heavy books on it for a while and it should flatten out.
I'm flying with it still.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
534 Posts
Mine are both warped as well (toward the outer ends). Came that way. I tried flattening them out too, but to no avail. Don't seem to effect flight any.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
Actually if they are both down it will fly like FIREFOX!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:19 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Actually if they are both down it will fly like FIREFOX!
Ill need to paint a little Clint Eastwood pilot.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
Think about it but in Russian LOL.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,595 Posts
If someone can make a big (85" - 95") two piece (plus covers) plug for me of this jet I can have some 85 - 95" long fiberglass basic kits made between 350 - 450usd + shipping bulk freight (meaning if you have a grey hound close you will save big on shipping)

New composite building technologies and techniques being developed here in the great ol US (where there's a will there's a way) make this available

I just need plugs and its been hell trying to find a cnc company that's helpful...

this is one of my favorite jets, I can't wait till end of next year...video of touch and goes sold me....

Please PM if you know someone who can do a 2 piece plug that big...or if you know of a foam carver that can help out

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
QUESTION: ESC to Battery Leads

Expecting delivery of this bird in the next couple of days.
Hope someone can help/clarify...
Assuming that the esc-battery leads need to be extended so the esc can sit in the "vented" location under the fuse. Will the extended run from esc to battery be short enough not to cause added ripple voltage or is the addition of capacitors needed?

In other words - can I just extend the leads and get on with life?
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab