SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:50 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Well guys. It made it to the classifieds...I dunno if i will be able to sell it though since i can only do LPU without parting it out...we'll see i guess.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:09 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Well guys. It made it to the classifieds...I dunno if i will be able to sell it though since i can only do LPU without parting it out...we'll see i guess.
X- say it ain't so!
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
I doubt any one will buy it off here. I will not ship it and i pretty much talk to everyone from my area who is on here.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Bring it to a Elic fly-in. There is always a guy with bucks at those things
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Herk - did you angle the pin/skewer rod? Think I'm gonna try this. Gotta get a few more magnets and perhaps some carbon fiber rods to make some pins.
No, I made them 90 degrees to the surface of the tank pylon that they stick out of.

I have redone it with magnet+magnet instead of a magnet+washer and I think it's strong enough to hold now. I also made sure to get the magnets perfectly flush to each other, by gluing the second magnet in while attached to the first (had to be very careful not to put too much epoxy in the pocket before doing so).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
777 Posts
one query, will this F-18 take 6S 3300mah battery with 2W30....? too heavy?

What is the "best" KV motor setup with 4S 3300mah or 4000mah with CS10 blade 70mm fan? Can advise?
viperviper is offline Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hi guys,
I am a bit late to the party here, but I just received my F-18 KIT today from Nitro.
It is beautiful, not a scratch anywhere. For $80 I am quite impressed.

The funny part is....I received BOTH fixed and retract gears?! This is just the airframe only version? I didn't realize it came with both single and dual cockpits/canopies and I also got DOUBLE ordance! 2 sets of each gas tanks, missiles, etc. This box was jammed full of stuff.

It's the Jolly Rogers version.

I shall keep reviewing this entire thread (as I always do with each model I build) and hope to glean out the most important mods and info.

I am so happy I finally decided to hit the buy button. It was somewhere near the beginning of this thread that some of you were telling me to give in and do it. I just had to wait....but I'm finally here!!!

BTW.....I have done the magnet to magnet attachment of wing ordance on some of my other 70mm jets and they have held on well. The only thing I do different is: I glue my magnets to a short piece of wooden dowel, then glue the dowel into the foam. Gives a much sturdier mount for the magnet and helps me get the precise depth I need vs pushing into the squichy foam with just glue.

Happy flying guys.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post

What is the "best" KV motor setup with 4S 3300mah or 4000mah with CS10 blade 70mm fan? Can advise?
I would venture to guess that 6S might be a bit too heavy.

I'm running a 4S 3300 in mine but on the E-flite 3600 kv motor on their V-15 fan. I would imagine that would be too high (kv) for the CS10 though.

I also had to add and ounce and a half to the tail with the 3300 4S.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Hi guys,
I am a bit late to the party here, but I just received my F-18 KIT today from Nitro.
It is beautiful, not a scratch anywhere. For $80 I am quite impressed.

The funny part is....I received BOTH fixed and retract gears?! This is just the airframe only version? I didn't realize it came with both single and dual cockpits/canopies and I also got DOUBLE ordance! 2 sets of each gas tanks, missiles, etc. This box was jammed full of stuff.

It's the Jolly Rogers version.

I shall keep reviewing this entire thread (as I always do with each model I build) and hope to glean out the most important mods and info.

I am so happy I finally decided to hit the buy button. It was somewhere near the beginning of this thread that some of you were telling me to give in and do it. I just had to wait....but I'm finally here!!!

BTW.....I have done the magnet to magnet attachment of wing ordance on some of my other 70mm jets and they have held on well. The only thing I do different is: I glue my magnets to a short piece of wooden dowel, then glue the dowel into the foam. Gives a much sturdier mount for the magnet and helps me get the precise depth I need vs pushing into the squichy foam with just glue.

Happy flying guys.
Ken
CSI...$80?????
I've been eye-balling this airframe only kit for some time now and haven't seen it at that price. Link PLEASE...
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
140 Posts
$85....http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a718-redviper-kit.html

They put it on sale from time to time for as low as $75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post

Im running a 2w25 with the CS/10 with good results. I thought you already had this jet, viper?
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Yep, $80.60....sorry about that extra .60!
I believe the electric retracts they included was somehow an oversight.
Still, a great deal for a very nice airframe.

I am definitely using a wemo 70mm minifan. I have a few motor options in stock to use here: HET 2W-20, HET 2W-18, and a Cyclone CS480-2500-32EDF I believe is meant for 6s. I can't find much info about the Cyclone. It's a beautiful motor with standoff mount like Don's wicked motors.

Not sure which motor is my best bet with this airframe? They are all brand new, meant for other projects that have been pushed back in the build line!

Question: On the airframe I found the side frames next to the main gear retracts are not glued to the fuselage. What is the reason for this? Am I supposed to do some work in this area before I glue them in place?

That's it for now, thanks a bunch for any and all help guys,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I would venture to guess that 6S might be a bit too heavy.

I'm running a 4S 3300 in mine but on the E-flite 3600 kv motor on their V-15 fan. I would imagine that would be too high (kv) for the CS10 though.

I also had to add and ounce and a half to the tail with the 3300 4S.
I've run nano 65c 3300 (21.5oz) in mine with the pack all the way to the back and a cyclone power 2500kv motor...balances all right..

Sink rate is faster but if it were done with flaps (see ranger fans sick set up) it would land like it was a 2200mah 4s battery.

I would use flaps if you're going to use 3300mah pack

Also, the speed is stupid....I just can't stay off the go stick and I fly mine with that motor\fan with smaller packs
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post

Question: On the airframe I found the side frames next to the main gear retracts are not glued to the fuselage. What is the reason for this? Am I supposed to do some work in this area before I glue them in place?
i installed aileron servos first and ran the wire under those pieces. Then glued them in after i ran the wire. I think its just to save you from having a larger hole? I am not sure WHY but thats what i did.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:44 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
If you were looking for the kit with fixed gear, looks like it is out of stock now! I just went over there to look at some pics and thats what NP site says.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
i installed aileron servos first and ran the wire under those pieces. Then glued them in after i ran the wire. I think its just to save you from having a larger hole? I am not sure WHY but thats what i did.
I think Dann's right on. If you do your retracts first before putting the wings on, you'll have a difficult time running your aileron and flap servo wires up and underneath the retract motors to reach the wiring bay in the center of the fuse.