SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:45 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Will, thanks and Reno, Good luck getting it back up! I have no doubts it will fly again.

I had 5 total flights, 2 on this guy and 3 on my A-10. All were GREAT! I noticed on my last flight, with the A-10, when i put the gear up the nose gear stayed down. Put them down and back up to see if it was stuck, nothing. Brought it in on the first circle around the park. The battery i put in is a little bigger, little higher C rating, than the rest and it unplugged the wire for the e-retract. Plugged it in, went back up and it was a perfect flight. I did a couple touch and goes on that flight too, it was good!

After a post-flight inspection of the F-18, i noticed the main gear on the pilots left side was loose. I looked at it though and the glue that holds the gear mount in broke lose. Easy fix. Will re-glue that piece and wait for another day of good weather.

All-in-all, today was great! Hope i can have some more of these before it gets too cold.

I purchased the FMS 1.4m Zero from BH recently also. I am going to do the same 2x 2s in series set up like on my F-18. I am going to have to get a few more batteries so they don't compete over the "2" packs i have currently. I have a build log started in my blig if you wanna see pics of it. It should be a blast to fly also.

Last but not least. I went to Houston over the weekend to see the Blue Angels at Wings Over Houston. GREAT airshow! I have not been to one that good in a while. My only complaint was Fat Albert didn't do use its JATO. Got to see the F-22 for the first time too, that was BAD ACE!!!! TONS ove WWII planes including one of three flying F&F Tigercats!!! Also got the inside tour of a B-17...Can't believe they fit TEN guys in each of those on every mission! WOW! I got some pics and will add those to my blog later as well as some videos too.

Hope all is well with you guys and your planes! Peace.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:06 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
xfatdannx- sounds like you had a good day at the field! Glad you saw that loose gear before she took a spill.

Talking about your batteries... twin 2s 3300 nano's in series, are you charging them in series too?
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
no, at least not at this time. the reasoning behind that was to not have to buy a new charger. I check them after they come off the charger though to make sure they are at the same charge. my charger now only does 2s and 3s.

PS. i got pics up in my blog from the airshow. videos are coming in slowly too. just depends on which ones will actually upload to youtube (some have issues for one reason or another)
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
I've never charged more than one at a time (on the same charger) but I know theres a way to do it. I think it involves a larger balance board. I'm sure I could find it on YouTube or probably even here.

I need to buy some more lipo's for this hornet and I was thinking I could save a few bucks by using twin 2s batteries. Just don't want to inhibit charging at the field since I have only 2 chargers.
Last edited by Rangerfan; Nov 02, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:23 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
i don't charge at the field but i do only one at a time. i am going to do the same set up in my Zero when i get it up too.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:44 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
751 Posts
Put a few flights in this afternoon. Got to be my favorite edf that I've ever flown.

Highly recommend flaps! Just floats in like a trainer.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Yes I have 15 flights on my F/A-18 now and surprisingly, I am now liking this plane even more than the Habu, which I previously had the same HET power system in. And I liked the Habu a lot. But the few things I did NOT like about the Habu are not an issue on the F/A-18 (so far anyway). Like for example the Habu was trickier to land. There was a pretty darn fine line between overflaring, and not flaring enough leading to a big bounce back up in the air -- even on some seemingly low-decent-rate touchdowns, frustratingly. But I haven't had a bounced landing yet in the F/A-18. Don't know if it's something to do with the wheels I'm using (not the stock wheels), or the airframe...but once it touches the pavement, it sticks.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:00 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,330 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Cyclone 4100kv w/a HET fan in this one? I'm not sure if I should go for the 4100kv or go for the Cyclone 3700kv? I will be running a HET fan for certain, so any extra info would be great. This kit is great and all the info in the thread is very useful!
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:47 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,330 Posts
Well, I have been doing a little research on the CS 10 blade. I hate too sound "uninformed" but what is the real advantage of this fan? From the set-up's I read up on it seems the gains are minimal? The one I item I came across that was a constant was "the sound". I like to have a good sound but I like speed and power more! Can I get the speed from this fan with a lower amp draw? The set-up I would run if I went this route would be a Cyclone IR500 2800 w/the 10 blade CS fan on 4S. Any help from people with this set-up or fan would be great, Thanx in advance!!
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:10 AM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Successful Maiden!

Finally got to fly the F-18 this morning. Easy hand launch, very stable flight. Not overly impressed with my 2W25/CS10 power combo. Sounds great though. Looking forward to some more flights, but rain killed the fun today.
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Finally got to fly the F-18 this morning. Easy hand launch, very stable flight. Not overly impressed with my 2W25/CS10 power combo. Sounds great though. Looking forward to some more flights, but rain killed the fun today.
4, 5, or 6s? I heard this set up is best at 5 and 6 but will work on 4.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Question guys: I had a little mishap when the nose gear servo stuck on the T/O roll. I knocked the nose and wing tip off the plane. Easy fix. I went to the field today and every thing worked except the motor spins but no power at all? I'm sure it is the fact they all the blades are missing LOL. Hub is there but not one Blade! Where they went is a mystery to me!
Is there a fan they will fit (and work with) the stock setup or do i have to buy the whole EDF setup from Nitro planes?
Thanks
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:55 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
4, 5, or 6s? I heard this set up is best at 5 and 6 but will work on 4.
4s 3300 nano. Its 1034W on the bench, and 955W in the airframe. Its no dog, just not as much thrust as I expected. Gonna play with esc settings and see if I can wake her up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Question guys: I had a little mishap when the nose gear servo stuck on the T/O roll. I knocked the nose and wing tip off the plane. Easy fix. I went to the field today and every thing worked except the motor spins but no power at all? I'm sure it is the fact they all the blades are missing LOL. Hub is there but not one Blade! Where they went is a mystery to me!
Is there a fan they will fit (and work with) the stock setup or do i have to buy the whole EDF setup from Nitro planes?
Thanks
PM me your address and I will send you one.
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:29 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Thanks
i would have just given you mine but i sent it to Reno when he had an issue with his. Unfortunately i can not answer your question.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Thanks. Perhaps some one knows of something or wants to sell one!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16