Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Hi all,

I would like to know something before buying the kit version.

Do the holes for the landing gears/servos less retracts are already pre cutted? Or no holes at all?

Thx!
Yes. They are precut.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Herk- nice work. You'll enjoy the peace of mind knowing that the retracts are as solid as they can be now. I've only got a few flights in on mine so far but its proven (to me) to be much improved.

Also, are yours much quieter than the stock ones were? Mine are nearly silent.
No, of the retracts that I have, the E-flite retracts are actually a little louder than the Exceed ones. I have another set of E-flite 10-15 tricycle retracts in another plane, and I did a YouTube video showing them in action. This is what they sound like:

Chuck glider transformed to RC plane with retractable landing gear (5 min 12 sec)

The set of E-flite retracts that I put in my F/A-18 sound the same as the set in that video.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:39 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Finally installed the E-flite nose retract in my F/A-18. I shouldn't have put it off so long. This morning, the wobbly/dodgy stock nose strut sent my model suddenly careening off the runway on takeoff roll, and when it hit the edge of the grass at almost takeoff speed, it not only tore out the nose retract (well, that kind of did me a favor...), but it broke the nose of the jet clean off, near the front of the retract well.

To prep for installing the E-flite nose retract, I dremeled down the foam underneath where the torn-out plywood mounts were....excavating all the way down to the "floor" (where the center of the old retract sat). Then I dremeled down another 1/8" to make room for the 1/8"-thick, one-piece plywood mount that I cut.

I found that the stock servo pocket for the nosewheel steering worked perfect. I hot-glued an HS-45 servo in there (my favorite servo to use for nosewheel steering) and hooked it up to the retract's steering linkage using one of the pushrod/clevis parts supplied with the F/A-18 kit for the optional rudders...which was the perfect length (photo).

I just came back from a test flight (actually I flew two flights). Everything worked perfectly. Nice to finally have rock-solid retracts all around. And steady/reliable ground steering.
Excellent work on the nosegear, I
did the same to my F4 and will install a pushrod on my F-18 as well.
will3kgt is online now Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
can a push rod be used with the stock nose gear or is it just how the eflite branded one is made?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,703 Posts
No, you can't use a pushrod with the stock nose gear, because it doesn't have that sliding mechanism that the E-flite unit has to prevent compressing force against the rod. So it depends on the flex of the pull-pull wire.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Kinda odd the amount of noise in them. The set I put in the f18 are new so I figured that eflite replaced something to make them quieter. My older e flites are quite noisy too.
Last edited by Rangerfan; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
65 Posts
Hey Rangerfan, are you talking about the kit version without the retracts or the one with the retracts? I've been looking at this plane for a while.
Drahcir is offline Find More Posts by Drahcir
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahcir View Post
Hey Rangerfan, are you talking about the kit version without the retracts or the one with the retracts? I've been looking at this plane for a while.
Both versions should have the retract mounts and bays pre-cut.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:41 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahcir View Post
You'll get probably a 50/50 opinion split on the stock retracts from those that have tried them. IMHO, I think they are too flimsy for the weight of this plane. Once I put a better power system in, naturally a bigger battery is needed. The increased weight is just too much for these retracts (IMHO).

Herk1 and I (and probably some others) both put the eflites in and I personally think they're a much better option. Much more solid (strength) and the quality of the electronics are superior. It was fairly simple to do. Not much modification is needed.

From Nitroplanes, I think the kit is around $80 and the kit with retracts is around $150? The eflites are about $120. So, about $50 more to go with the eflites from the beginning.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others are using the stock retracts. Some without problems. Some with.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
i think flaps would help alleviate some of the gear issue i have had. plane moving slower would have less energy therefor less stress on touch down.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
i think flaps would help alleviate some of the gear issue i have had. plane moving slower would have less energy therefor less stress on touch down.
Certainly would agree with that.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
do you guys have troubles with the eflite retracts with the wheels being closer together.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
do you guys have troubles with the eflite retracts with the wheels being closer together.
I haven't. I mod'd them a bit to push them out a bit. I used the wheels that were included for the fixed gear.

Unless you move the mains to the wings, you'll always have a narrow stance. I figured I would just have to teach myself to land with both mains touching down at the same time (which actually is what you want to do anyway, I just need to improve) .

Flaps certainly do help with this.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
cool thanks for the tip. i really want the eflite nose gear but i am not sure if i want the whole set.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
cool thanks for the tip. i really want the eflite nose gear but i am not sure if i want the whole set.
The other advantage that the eflite nose gear has is that it steers with a pushrod instead of the "always sloppy" (always for me) pull-pull wire arrangement. I found that the ground handling is improved with the better steering set-up. Still have to taxi slowly as the mains are still pretty narrow.