HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
What retracts are you gonna use? Eflite 90 degree
Picked up a set from HK that I have used before. I'll see if I can find a link.
RustySpork is offline Find More Posts by RustySpork
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:55 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
I have a complete pushrod set from mine as I used better control horns and Parkzone pushrods with the carbon reinforcement. I will send them to you, but I suggest that you upgrade to a better quality hardware.
I got some coming from someone else already. i just wanted to the rudder rods for flaps.

Thanks!
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
Warbird NUT!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
Picked up a set from HK that I have used before. I'll see if I can find a link.
Just head to hobby shop and get pitch adjustment links for a trex 450... will work like a charm. wont have to worry about them stripping out like ive read somewhere before.
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:04 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Nice maiden RC30! Sounds great and fast!

I also agree about the cheepy pushrods, I used parkzone stryker rods. Way stronger without the flex.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Warbird NUT!
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Thanks techno... i also installed a square hollow carbon rod in the wings thru the fuselage. the way the wings get attached... I was not confident in how strong that joint would be. We were guesstimating somewhere in the 70mph range.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:06 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,674 Posts
E-flite retract install

I took off the broken stock retracts from my plane and....wow, just wow. These so-called "Metal Electric Retracts" (says Nitroplanes) are plastic, not metal, and that plastic is an extremely fragile, cheap-feeling plastic. And the plastic parts that make up the plastic retract are so ill-fitting and loose that the whole thing rattles with a ton of slop when you shake it. It reminds me of one of those ultra-cheap kid's toys at the dollar store.

So I set aside the "dollar-store" retracts, and installed some E-flite retracts that I had on hand. They are not the rotating ones, however. To make it so they retract all the way into the existing retract wells, I put the wire struts in a vise and bent them back...kind of in a scale-like fashion for an F/A-18. This also serves to keep down the height of the main gear when extended.

I was concerned about the gear height, because before I swapped out the gear, I measured the incidence of the wing when the plane is sitting on the extended (stock) landing gear, with struts compressed. Oddly enough, it was actually a little higher at the trailing edge of the wing (16 cm) than the leading edge (15.4 cm). I didn't want to make that "backwards" situation any worse, so in addition to bending the E-flite wire struts, I ripped out the retract mounts (those inadequate "chicklet"-sized bits of wood) and dremeled down the foam 1/8" before installing new ply retract mounts, and I mounted the wheels on the struts for as short of a strut length as possible (even whittling a little foam from the fore of the wheel well).

The end result was that the wheels retract fully into the wells even though they don't rotate. So if I wanted to try installing the gear doors, they could close completely. Plus, the struts have that scale-like back-bend. And the incidence of the wing remained exactly the same (i.e., still a bit "backwards"!).

I also fashioned more secure, U-shaped retract mounts from lite plywood, to replace the inadequate "chicklets" (two of which came right off easily). To make room for the base of the "U", I carved a groove in the foam (see photo where one of my new mounts is being inserted into the groove, and the other is outside).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
Warbird NUT!
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Nice job! Those legs look way more stout than the "oleo" struts that come with it. I omitted the retracts because I fly off a grass runway, and because of all the problems I have seen on this forum about them. IMHO... Your retracts look way more functional.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:15 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jul 2012
534 Posts
Herk1: kudos for trying the eflite set. Looks much better than the stock setup. Can you post some pics of how you configured the nose and steering?
I've got a set of the eflites still in the box and was planning them for a different model but after seeing that, may change my mind.
Thanks!
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,674 Posts
I haven't done the nose retract yet, and frankly I dread doing it because of the way Horizon/E-flite designed their nose-retract screwdown flanges "upside-down" from the way common-sense dictates that it should be, and from the way every other brand does it. I had to change the main-gear retracts on my F/A-18 because they broke right away, but for now I'm not in a rush to change the nose retract unless the looseness really causes difficulty in ground handling, or unless it also breaks or ceases functioning. I've only done one takeoff so far, so it's too soon to judge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
141 Posts
Crappy weather lately. No flying.

Got the flaps and rudders squared away, got the wing spar ready. Waiting on retracts for final assembly.
RustySpork is offline Find More Posts by RustySpork
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:20 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
Crappy weather lately. No flying.
You can say that again! Thats why i have been paint my other plane! haha Almost done. i will link you to my blog when its done. You can see the progress over there if you haven't already.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Any time I have off its been really windy. Too windy for this bird. Just got my new motor in the mail yesterday though. Time to bench test this sunday Parts are all in, time to rip into the stocker for upgrades finally.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
926 Posts
which motor?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,674 Posts
Just got back from test-flying the E-flite main-gear retracts in my F/A-18. Flew two batteries for two landings. The retracts worked great...landings were pleasantly uneventful. The E-flite retracts are the best, solid as a rock.

On another subject: is anybody doing anything to ventilate the battery compartment? There is an outlet (the opening for the wiring) but there is no inlet. My batteries are getting too warm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Just got back from test-flying the E-flite main-gear retracts in my F/A-18. Flew two batteries for two landings. The retracts worked great...landings were pleasantly uneventful. The E-flite retracts are the best, solid as a rock.

On another subject: is anybody doing anything to ventilate the battery compartment? There is an outlet (the opening for the wiring) but there is no inlet. My batteries are getting too warm.
After a long (and painful ) delay, I have started my build. I cut out a piece of 1.5" EPP the shape of the nose retract bay, tapering it off at the back, toward the battery bay. I then cut a U shape out of the rear of the retract doors, and glued them in place. Then I cut a hole through the wall that separates the battery bay from the retract bay. Im hoping this will be a crude NACA style duct to help cool the Lipo.

Got my fan balanced as well as I could, and it sounds fantastic. Hope it sounds even better in the airframe.

CS10/70
HET 2W25
HW Platinum 80A
Nano-Puff 3300 35C

Getting 64 amps and 924 watts with the intake lip on. Still have some work to do, but getting really stoked to get her airborne now!
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w