HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
thats what i was gonna do if i got the 262...dual cs10! I have the PZ gunfighter with the power 10...that motor ROCKS! i upgraded to a 50amp FMS esc and the PZ t28 prop...pulls 36 amps peak and has unlimited vert. i fly inverted at less than a foot off the ground, my dad thinks im nuts haha. he just got the PZ wildcat, pretty sturdy little plane, would also be a cool plane with power 10

hey reno...did yours say to balance at 75mm? and did you balance with the gear down or up or do you use gear?
If you're a belly lander guy try out the MAS props. You have to ream the centers of the props to fit and are heavier than the PZ stuff but they are indestructible and have a very nice blend of vertical and speed while pulling less amps than the PZ 3 blade stuff (seems to be more efficient). Sounds like your a 2 blade prop guy but if you switch look no farther than the Master Air Screw props.

(picture staying on topic) lol
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
i would love to rock the 4 blade actually. They amps pulled would be too high for the motor...the power 10 is rated at 32 amp and as i stated i am pulling 36 peak already...I think its fine for now but i would love another wing or airframe to add mechanical retracts to.
xfatdannx is online now Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
For anyone maidening this plane, I just want to report when I maidened mine it had a roll to the right even though the control surfaces looked level, I trimmed it out on the radio, it came down with uneven surfaces. I shaved the paint off my wings and used a lot of 5 minute epoxy on install. After the second and third flight and a couple high G positive maneuvers the plane was less scary (rigidity?) and maybe "broke in". Been really easy to fly since and I could return the surfaces mechanically to even. Got to be the wings in my case.
If your good enough do a nice high speed loop up high with lots of elevator pulling out (3 mistakes high). Save it for the second battery is what I did.
I'm pretty new to EDF so part if it might be learning curve, but part was definitely some kind of rigidity break in that made my plane fly better. Weird I know.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
i got all my travel programmed down to 60% or less depending on which surface it is. I have not even thought about programming DRs. I am not going to use high rates until i cut all the control surfaces off and replace the stock foam "hinge" with plastic dubro hinges. If you look the rudder has those but i HAD to cut those out to make them move.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
The foam hinges are actually holding out fine, the control horns that are glued on is still solid but a bad idea IMO. I'll be replacing those with a sandwich type that connects to the top of the control surface also. I stripped the paint where they go with great planes foam CA but it seems like if and when they break from the faom, the plane is going in. I was shocked when building the plane and looked for extra pieces that where not there.
At the speeds I fly at, so far I've been pretty trusting of live hinges so far. I inspect it regularly, and that might be all the difference. If you cut and mod the hinges straight away though, all the better. Agreed.

I'm not a low rates guy though ever. I use the whole stick, and at slow speed it's nice to have the authority when the air flow is spongy (no prop blast to save your skin). might be twitchy at speed though but program some expo with full throws if that is what you are used too. You might need all the surface travel in a slow corner or a correction on a botched take off.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
i will maiden first but i will not do high level rates until i have the plastic hinges.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
i will maiden first but i will not do high level rates until i have the plastic hinges.
What holes are you using in the control horns?

I'm not maxed out. With all the stock junk, starting with the ailerons, at the servo second bottom hole out of a possible possible 6. Aileron at the horn, second bottom out of a possible 4 holes.
Elevator, 3rd hole from the bottom out of a possible 6 (servo), second bottom at the control horn on the elevator out of a possible 4 (horn).

Low rates would scare me, full stick is used in tight maneuvers and full elevator in a slow speed corner for brief moment sometimes, say lining up for an approach.
I've never understood low rates but I understand we all fly differently. If it's out of trust of the live hinge I would say reconsider, you may need the travel if only for a brief moment of surprise.

Also better than using the TX to limit servo travel, mechanically limit the travel allowing the servo to go through its travel. Better feel. More precise. Use the mech. linkages before allowing the programming to rely on short throw. It's a crutch that will do you wrong if something glitches. And it eliminates the need for expo.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
Again this is all set up for maiden so things could change after the first flight, but i noticed when i had the rates above 60% (on the elevator anyway) the stabs were bending up or down depending on the way i was going, not just the control surface. also turned down the ailerons bc it seemed the hinges were being stressed.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Again this is all set up for maiden so things could change after the first flight, but i noticed when i had the rates above 60% (on the elevator anyway) the stabs were bending up or down depending on the way i was going, not just the control surface. also turned down the ailerons bc it seemed the hinges were being stressed.
Sounds like new plane syndrome. It will loosen up and get better. Maybe that was the trouble I had initially... In hindsight I would work that in. Crack 'em.

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt, you are being more vigilant than I was with mine by a long shot. I also don't know your flying style or area, I fly at 830ft above sea level where a paper airplane goes for a mile. From what I can see you are doing just fine!

Go fly it!!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Hello gentlemen,
Here's a video of my bellylander version of my F-18 with 10-bladed CS motor.
The vid was made with my wingman's tablet & his seven year old was filming..It's still worth watching.
Will TRYING TO SCORE !!! (2 min 52 sec)
will3kgt is online now Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Thankyou. Gotta keep my skills sharp when defending the parks on this side of Lake Erie.
will3kgt is online now Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
i think i got TNS...Remember those Shaq commercials? Taco Neck Syndrome
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
That was epic Will. Loved it!
You bet, Lake Erie has constant patrol for bogies on both sides. We can all sleep a little better!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
To anyone with the rudder mod: Does it make much of a difference?
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime