HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,902 Posts
RENO
I bet with the wheels up(or none at all) there would be a fair speed increase. I know they are vastly different planes but there was a 19 MPH difference wheels up and down on my ME 262 today. The Guys here will tell you about the hand launch.
M3A
I will be looking into the tubes as you guys wring the plane out more.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
Merlin,
Thanks for posting. I purchased this jet a couple of weeks ago and it is resting nicely just waiting for it's maiden. I also have stock set up as I wanted to see how it flys before replacing items and I have plenty of the same batteries on hand that you used. Those numbers seem fine to me. But I'm a prop warbird pilot just getting introduced to jets. So what do I know? As I don't have an asphalt runway near by I will be hand launching on a great grass field. Hope it goes well Any one with help on how to hand launch this bird will be appreciated. Is it similar to launch as the PZ-51 etc.
Walt's Exceed Rc F18 70mm Setup (4 min 18 sec)

Exceed F-18 70mm EDF (3 min 15 sec)

3rd-dem is running a 1000W+ 4s setup while Ispintechno is running the stock setup if I remember correctly. Both seem to hand launch very easy. (They may just make it look easy )
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
WOW! They do make it look simple... I sometimes hand launch my PZ stuff, depending on the depth of grass. These videos are easing my fears of something "crazy" happening at take off. Getting more excited about the maiden. Thanks again Merlin and M3ATp10w.
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
WOW! They do make it look simple... I sometimes hand launch my PZ stuff, depending on the depth of grass. These videos are easing my fears of something "crazy" happening at take off. Getting more excited about the maiden. Thanks again Merlin and M3ATp10w.
I hand launch this F-18 exactly the same way I hand launch my Parkzone F4U Corsair, throttle up, firm but not hard toss at a slight up angle. I let the EDF do the work. (full throttle run up for a second until you feel it pull in your hand, then cock back and toss)
I would say the F-18 is just as easy as my parkzone plane with only one difference, if there is any cross breeze or the the throw isn't wings flat it will roll straight away and you need your hand quickly on the aileron by then to make a solid correction (meaning good amount/full aileron for split second). She is not as stable that way but still a sweetheart to hand launch. A slight upward throw seems to make it fly right away as air passes under the wings and the canards (well I call them that). I'm a throw with the right hand, left hand on the throttle guy and quickly after tossing get my fingers on the elevator/ailerons as soon as I let go. Not the best way but I don't trust my left for hand launching. My left is pretty useless.

I run zippy 2800 30C packs on the bone stock ARF set-up currently. All landing gear cavities are totally empty with the door covers on. Underneath the plane is covered in a slippery layer of packing tape including the mains to keep the bottom more of a flying surface. There is no reason to keep the mains open with the stock setup for cheater holes, the intakes are plenty big. I also did this to let the plane slide on the grass with out catching/tearing foam.
I only get about 41 amps, 630 watts peak from my plane. Big RPM difference compared to Walts if you listen to the two!! (I've watched all his video's, his F-18 kicks ass and he's a great pilot) I love his high alphas.
Merlin's numbers look impressive compared to mine, might be the difference between lipos doing that. Not sure mine goes 75mph, I would say a bit slower maybe.

I also unplugged the nose wheel servo to the RX as it does nothing but take away energy. My F-18 is a 3 channel lol (but as light as possible)

Anyway, putting in a CS10 fan with a custom variable exhaust this fall (if it works on the bench), the bifurcated exhaust openings on this bird looks too big for 70mm I think too. Good for thrust (easy hand launch) but a dog on top end.

But in closing this F-18 is a pussycat to hand launch. Don't stress out, the whole airframe is a floater for HLing and landing. I imagine with high power she will need just the lightest of tosses.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 16, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Totally stock Plane with a 4S 40C 4S. Fixed gear hanging in the breeze.
MERLIN
Merlin, What mah are these batteries? That voltage drop isn't too bad depending on how big these batts are.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
Merlin, What mah are these batteries? That voltage drop isn't too bad depending on how big these batts are.
Sky Lipo 3300 MAH. Only about 6 total flights on it .All in this plane.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Anyway, putting in a CS10 fan with a custom variable exhaust this fall

(I do think this is the next logical step in EDFs.....figure it out, I'll buy one.)
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
I hand launch this F-18 exactly the same way I hand launch my Parkzone F4U.
Thanks! Great description..This plane will be rockin' 'n' rollin' on Saturday. Is it Saturday yet
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Sky Lipo 3300 MAH. Only about 6 total flights on it .All in this plane.
Thanks! I was hoping they were a smaller battery, but some higher C rating nanotechs should have no issue with that setup. The battery in that test was running down to 3.5v per cell during the last full throttle pass, which is as low as I'd want to go with it.

I can't wait to try it out! If only HK would get my ordered items in stock.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
As a belly lander I am trying to illiminate weight. So I recently decided to remove the gear. For the life of me I cannot remove the front gear. I removed the four screws and tried gently to pry the gear out. I pried harder and harder and It WILL NOT budge. Short of destroying the front of the plane is there glue of some alien force holding the gear in the fuselage?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,966 Posts
What kind of gear do you have, the fixed or the retract?

Even with the added weight of the gear, this plane will belly-land just fine.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post

(I do think this is the next logical step in EDFs.....figure it out, I'll buy one.)
If it works all you will need is a hobby knife, several small hinges, glue, and a bag of rubber bands from the dollar store. Maybe some slippery paper for the inside feathers of the nozzle (so add scissors to the mix).
You will be able to apply it to any EDF until it gets copied in factory form (which would make me happy). I hope it works, a win for all. It's not my only idea so it's a do it your self in an hour thing.
Following the KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
update:

1. Shaved a little under the ESC for more room for the wires. The heat shrink near the back is where we took all the plastic off the extension connectors, connected the plugs, soldered them together, and then heat shrink. This got rid of excess bulk and was a great idea my dad had.

2.Landing gear installed.

3. Shaved a little area in battery bay. This allows the batteries to fit snug and also allows them to slide forward a little making it easier to achieve CoG.

4. Series connector i made and new batteries. Batteries will have EC3s tomorrow but the single end has EC5 which is what the ESC has.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
What kind of gear do you have, the fixed or the retract?

Even with the added weight of the gear, this plane will belly-land just fine.
I have electric retracts. I guess I will reinstall the mains as I cannot remove the front gear and I don't want to damage the fuse attempting to get it out. Without the mains and only the front gear the CG is way off. I guess glue or something else is bonding the retract housing to the fuselage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post

Logical and already proven to work, there's a thread where someone from Sweden did this with a servo and it worked.

I asked him if he was willing to kit and sell and he's not wanting to get into it.

I'd be up for an exhaust too.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771