HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:03 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
well it is a bench
if you want something you can put your feet completely underneath maybe you should be looking at a desk or a table
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:03 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
" am almost out of room, should have gotten the bigger version. "

It doesn't matter what size you get, you will consume all of the space in it, and still need more. You should see my two car garage. If my wife complains enough, I will move things around so she can get it.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Capital Region, NY
Joined Nov 2006
75 Posts
EAA Standard Bench Plans

I have built a variant of this. Works well. Level/true it up and slap a solid core door on it. for $20. Simple, quick, easy...

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
ScottV is offline Find More Posts by ScottV
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2010
394 Posts
I like things to be "permanent", and for building airplanes, you NEED a bench that will lay flat and stay flat.

So my way was to start with an all-steel bench such as this one:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EDS...78?Pid=search#

The advantage to that is that it's really easy to shim a leg if you have to in order to make sure that it's PERFECTLY flat and level.
Once you do that, you have a table base that will never move or twist on you because steel will never move due to humidity or temperature.

Then the next step is to lay a cheap hollow core door on it (maybe $25). The flatness of the metal table will give you the foundation you need, and the hollow core door will give you the extended size you want for building even large aircraft.

The final magic comes when you cut a piece of drywall to fit the hollow core door all the way to it's edges in one piece.
What you have then is a perfectly flat table that will stay flat, and you have a great surface (the drywall) that not only takes pins very securely, but is cheap and easily replaceable after a year or two of scarring it up.

That's what I've been doing for better than 30 years of building, and I've never built a warped or crooked wing.

By the way, about that hollow core door versus solid core door...
Not only is a hollow core door a fraction of the cost of a solid core door, but a hollow core door is much less prone to warping or twisting with the kind of humidity often found in a garage. It will stay flatter than a solid core door over time. Really; the cheaper way is the better way in this instance.

Also, if you have a tendency to lean up against your table and the door slides a little on the metal bench, you could drill just two holes up through the metal bench and put a couple of short screws up into the door to hold in from sliding.

Lastly, if you look at that metal bench I linked, you can see that it's real easy to add aftermarket drawers underneath the tabletop, put a board across the leg supports so you have a shelf underneath, and a pegboard on the wall behind the bench will hold all the tools you need to build pretty much anything.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Treeline is online now Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Sounds good to me.

Les
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline View Post
Once you do that, you have a table base that will never move or twist on you because steel will never move due to humidity or temperature.

Steel, as is the case with almost all substances, does indeed move with temperature changes.

Sometimes we lose sight of the practical fact that 'good enough' trumps 'perfect' in almost every case.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
"Steel, as is the case with almost all substances, does indeed move with temperature changes."

And frequently a lot more than most. In my past life I was designing heated compression presses for hi-tech laminates. These were 4 post things with 4" diameter posts. We had to provide water cooling to the moveable plates of the press to keep them from expanding and jamming against the posts when heated.

Les
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:40 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Trust me as a Welder Fitter I know how steel is effected by variation in temperatures and it does expand and contract probably as much as wood does

if wood is properly kiln dried before used for construction the chances of it warping is highly unlikely.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:29 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
guys,

Anyone have any experience withthis bench?
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html

Can it be used for building or if it cannot as is, what needs to eb done to it to make it useable (besides throwing it away and gettting a real bench !)

any input pros/ cons would be appreciated.

thanks

Frank
I bet it would work OK for moderate duty, if you added a blemmed hollow core door to the upper surface for more building room. The stock bench size of about 60 by about 20 is too small for me.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Good Idea

if you need more work surface sure throw a door up on top of the bench

I also liked the work bench plans for the solid core door top Scott v posted
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:52 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
The workbench is now on sale for $159.00, $40 off the original price...
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html

Check out other holiday sales...
http://www.harborfreight.com/faceboo...campaign=4810b
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Workbench Binge!

What a coincidence! I have been putting together my dream workshop for the last month, little did I realize this thread had been started. I dont know where to begin:

It all started when I went to sears to exchange an old screwdriver, then I spotted these http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1291474520890 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G24 I put 2 of the 8' benches and 1 72" on Layaway. In the mean time a friend sent me a link to the Harbor freight workbenches, I was skeptical but went and checked them out, the only one they had on display was in the stockroom covered with junk and pretty beat up. I bought one anyway to see for myself. I got it for $136 with tax, It was on sale for $160 and I had a 20% off coupon. When I opened the well packed box I was amazed at what I saw, for the money you cant go wrong. After I assembled it (I used titebond on all joints) I was really impressed. I cancelled the Layaway for the 72" bench at sears, it was flimsy and expensive compared to the HF bench. I couldnt stop myself, I have 4 of the HF benches bolted and shimmed level together. It is now a 10' by 40" massive and very sturdy workbench. The HF benches are made from White Mahogany, aka: Malaysian Oak, aka: Rubber Tree Wood! It is in the Maple family, tough as nails! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubberwood I finally paid off my layaway for the 2 8' benches and again was impressed, I have since bought 3 more. I have 4 together for a super massive 8'X8' workbench. Now I need to decide on what plane I am going to build this winter.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Last edited by Victory Pete; Dec 04, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:07 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
"Now I need to decide on what plane I am going to build this winter."

It really needs to be a big one, to do justice to the workspace. Sure wish I had the much room. These days, my wife insists on getting her car in the garage, and I even have to roll my table saw back into the corner.

Les
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:06 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
dang Pete you haVE $1200.00+ in work benches there dude
Nice to be you
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
dang Pete you haVE $1200.00+ in work benches there dude
Nice to be you
Every one was bought on sale and with special coupons. I bet in total I saved about $700. Otherwise I never would have "Pulled The Machine Gun Trigger". I also use the workshop for my businesses. I bet I can write most of it off.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)