HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:05 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,163 Posts
why spend $160 on that small bench, when you can build a 4'x8' table 3 1/2 foot tall using MDF, sand-ply and straight dimensional lumber for under $100. 2 years later, it still has less than a 1/16" variation over its 8 foot length and less than .050" over the 4' side down the entire length of the table.

invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:27 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape View Post
Looks good to me for the price.
I payed alot more for benches.
http://www.advancedmachinery.com/pro...bench-1151.cfm
I got one for $400 years ago.
You find these on sale.
HA, 600 bucks I don't think so!
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:44 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
why spend $160 on that small bench, when you can build a 4'x8' table 3 1/2 foot tall using MDF, sand-ply and straight dimensional lumber for under $100. 2 years later, it still has less than a 1/16" variation over its 8 foot length and less than .050" over the 4' side down the entire length of the table.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

I have a couple of other ho made benches in my garage but I like the Harbor freight bench best for assembly because it has the flattest and smoothest work surface.
some benches have shaper/router, scroll saw and drill press. one is my lay out and cutting bench then I have a hot wire cutter bench.
only thing about MDF is it blisters easy if it gets wet. a nice flat solid door OTOH makes a really good work surface
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
HA, 600 bucks I don't think so!
You can pick them up at auction cheap.

I like invertmast bench.

One of these go with it nice.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/DETAIL92xl.html
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Last edited by scrape; Nov 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:19 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
HA!
Na I will stick with the one I got on sale at Harbor freight for 59 bucks

I also want this little work bench too

Last edited by RogueTitan; Nov 21, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:35 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Because you wait for a sale and pick one up for $100. And it goes together in about 30 minutes from the time you get home.

I also have 4 benches I have built. 1 is wood frame, steel top. 1 is wood frame, wood top, with an easily replaceable top surface. And 2 are wood frame, wood top, but without the replaceable top surface. 1 of them is covered in laminate. Not all are for model building.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:59 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
If you have a Sam's Club close, they have a nice workbench with a 1.75inch thick hard wood top and very sturdy steel legs. Seem to remember them being $199.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=101756#desc

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
If you can... look into some basic DIY Store kitchen cabinets. I have two sets. Level them and put 2x4 frame with 3/4" plywood to sit on top. Flat and level as can be. Some upside down ceiling tiles on top of that and your good to go. Cheap and lots of closeable storage.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:19 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,387 Posts
Just an observation, Joe. With that bench, you are very soon going to stack everything you have under it, and then not be able to find anything. I had a neighbor that refurbished his kitchen, and glomed on to every cabinet that he had. Outfitted my whole garage, and that was at least 20 years ago.k

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:41 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Les,

True enough... Sam's also has these roller cabinets that fit under that bench. You could get one and put your stools under the other side to keep from stuffing lots of junk in the open space.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...489&navAction=

I've almost pulled the trigger several times on one of these bench and cabinet combos several times. At some point I probably will pick them up.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:21 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Different strokes for different folks I guess

I have a couple of other ho made benches in my garage but I like the Harbor freight bench best for assembly because it has the flattest and smoothest work surface.
some benches have shaper/router, scroll saw and drill press. one is my lay out and cutting bench then I have a hot wire cutter bench.
only thing about MDF is it blisters easy if it gets wet. a nice flat solid door OTOH makes a really good work surface

Hence the Reason i said sandply Or MDF. the MDF does blister if its wet, unless you seal the surface with a poly-U or sanding sealer.

on the other hand, Sandply is about the same price, can get wet w/o warping or blistering and is still soft enough to be able to press T-pins into. And it is pretty smooth straight from the supply source. And if you get a blob of Ca/epoxy on it, you can knock it down w/ some 80 grit on a sanding bar w/o ruining the flatness of the ply.

Most people don't need a bench 8' long, but I had to build that bench for a specific project that has a 10' long fuselage.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:26 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
best dad gum asembly cart ever...

this is an archery bow maintenance doohickey that I turned into an airplane assembly tray/cart and the legs is one of those portable keyboard stands with two bungee cords holding the tray to the stand. the cradles are made from 1/2" thick pink owens corning foam which are removable and fit inside the tray
can also be used as a portable field stand, I cut a piece of 1/4" louon plywood the dimensions of the top of the tray and use it as a lid for transportation the two bungees secure it to the top of the tray so the contents of the tray don't spill out.

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,668 Posts
25% off

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/...ing_coupon.jpg
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
yep I am going to use mine tomorrow after we feast
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
You can't really sit under that HF bench can you? Looks like it is a sit next to bench with the drawers and little to no overhang.

I also have one of those HF wooden tool boxes, the wood is pretty soft so it gather dings quickly, but it works OK. Certainly not a Gerstner. I have the tools for my milling machine in it though I am almost out of room, should have gotten the bigger version.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot