5,354 Posts
Here is my airboat:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897622

Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Hi guys! Newbie on the RCGroups!
I am too experimenting with 'useless' things around the house to do RC airboats.
My first challenge: cardboard and soda bottles.
See video here -->
Home Made RC Airboat from recycled materials (4 min 24 sec)

Then tried a bigger motor/ESC and hull: plastic milk containers -->
Home Made RC Airboat from recycled materials v.1.1 (1 min 3 sec)
Was not good in water, but excellent sliding on the street.

Then my son asked me to do an RC Airboat for him. So we agreed on using his RC18MT RC truck parts to build the airboat. And decided to try something new: baking pan/cookie tray -->
Home Made RC Airboat using cookie baking tray (3 min 27 sec)
As other folks, I incorporate, paper clips, hot glue as bulding materials.
This latest iteration is more stable. I am thinking on using a bigger 'food tray' with my other bigger motor.
However, it looks like I do have a design issue: the faster I accelerate, the bigger the angle at which the front part of the boat wants to go. Not sure how to fix this...I will appreciate any idea from the Masters on this forum....
Tronzie is offline Find More Posts by Tronzie
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronzie View Post
Hi guys! Newbie on the RCGroups!
I am too experimenting with 'useless' things around the house to do RC airboats.
My first challenge: cardboard and soda bottles.
See video here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLZ-4...layer_embedded

Then tried a bigger motor/ESC and hull: plastic milk containers -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JYoRgevx4c Was not good in water, but excellent sliding on the street.

Then my son asked me to do an RC Airboat for him. So we agreed on using his RC18MT RC truck parts to build the airboat. And decided to try something new: baking pan/cookie tray --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWvwr3s31zs As other folks, I incorporate, paper clips, hot glue as bulding materials.
This latest iteration is more stable. I am thinking on using a bigger 'food tray' with my other bigger motor.
However, it looks like I do have a design issue: the faster I accelerate, the bigger the angle at which the front part of the boat wants to go. Not sure how to fix this...I will appreciate any idea from the Masters on this forum....
Very cool. How did you make the reverse on the prop? Is it a car ESC?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Yes, ESC is from RC truck, brushless 5400kv motor, 30A ESC with reverse, and 2200 20C 7.4v lipo.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Quick newbie question: when using an APC 9x6 propeller the ESC gets hot at full throttle. Motor (1100 outrunner) is almost cool. ESC is 30A, battery is 11.1v lipo. Getting an ESC with more capacity (lets say 60A), would solve ESC temperature issue? My fear, is that the ESC burns while in the middle of the lake, unable to recover it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,075 Posts
Nice work! Is that an aluminum pan? What's the cage made of? Any difference between front/rear facing prop? Does it take on any water?
Regarding lift, why not try adding an elevator off the top of the cage? Or add it to the nose of hull? Or add a small front aerofoil? Or a vector engine? I just made a full vector engine that I'll try on an airboat after my kite adventures.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=26
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jan 11, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Yes, aluminum pan. Rubermaid, and sealed with hot glue, and sillicone. I have only used front facing prop. At high speed may take some water when the 'nose' starts to go down. As you can see, most of the weight is 2/3 back. Will try some kind of elevator mod later...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:53 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
My thoughts on what the issue may be.

Thrust angle is very important. You are using the weight of the gear to achieve the angle on the bow. Once on plane, the weight isn't as much of an issue and the thrust angle comes into play more. The current angle is probably pulling the nose down into the water as the prop want's to go skyward.

Angle the motor toward the nose of the boat. Target an area about 4 feet in front of the boat to start. Adjust for performance from there. You may have to give side angle as well but its usually not as big of an issue for boats as it is for planes.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Ok. I have angled the motor down as sugested. I will try to test it tomorrow, and let you know. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Well, improved somewhat. But still not happy. Specially, after I built a 'foamie' that was really good.

This is a pic of the 'Cookie Barnacle' as I called it:

This was another failed attempt with aluminum trays: 'The Fatty'

Then, that night, frustrated, I found some foam laying around in the garage, and the 'Lightning Trash' was born: This is it! Finally the performance I was looking for!

Short video:
Home Made RC Airboat from recycled materials v.2.0 (1 min 17 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
Balsa taste like chicken!
USA, MS, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
490 Posts
I have a few thoughts on the "turkey" pans. I sanded strakes into mine, which I see the pans can't have. I tried mine with and without the strakes, better performance with them. They help it get on plane faster and with less effort (My .02). IDK, I've only made 2 airboats so, somebody with more experience would know better then me.

Tronzie, Nice! The pans are a very clever! Just like the ones here that used plastic bottles!

Charger
A74Charger is offline Find More Posts by A74Charger
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Charger, actually my first 2 "hull" were plastic bottles. Videos at the top of the page.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Post Mortem video of 'The Fatty' airboat...
Home Made RC Airboat from recycled materials v.1.2 (2 min 53 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:24 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,721 Posts
if the back of the air boat isn't sharp and is arbitrarily less than 90 Deg to the water the water coming off the back sucks the tail down.

Fold the back of the baking pan to 90 degrees and as sharp as possible

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au