HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Well as long as we are off-topic (heh-heh) I remember going to Disneyland in Ca. back in 1960 after 8th grade graduation and watching a Cox demo and guy flew three of the Cox Circus planes at one time. A handle in each hand and one in his teeth. I got one that summer and never could get it to leave the ground without a crash soon following as I was immediately dizzy. LOL

67 in May.
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,790 Posts
I did get to see that show in '60 or '61 I believe, but I was already flying FF with my dad by then. We weren't into CL so much, but I had built a few for fun, (and of course I learned CL on a PT-19). I also got to watch most of the CL comp at the '63 NATS at Los Alamitos, (when we weren't flying our FF events), which included everything from carrier landing to speed events, (which was absolutely amazing to watch). That was way more impressive to me than the DLand show was. Though it was a good show, I was hyper about the rides and couldn't wait for it to be over, (what can I say...I was 8 and it was Disneyland...no sittin' down watchin' silly shows for me...I wanted to go on rides!!!).
I must admit, as much fun as that all was, I really like my RP and never seem to get enough stick time. Though just a hunk of foam, it's a blast to fly, (thought I would get back on-subject so I won't get yelled at!).

Sonny
sonny1 is online now Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I did get to see that show in '60 or '61 I believe, but I was already flying FF with my dad by then. We weren't into CL so much, but I had built a few for fun, (and of course I learned CL on a PT-19). I also got to watch most of the CL comp at the '63 NATS at Los Alamitos, (when we weren't flying our FF events), which included everything from carrier landing to speed events, (which was absolutely amazing to watch). That was way more impressive to me than the DLand show was. Though it was a good show, I was hyper about the rides and couldn't wait for it to be over, (what can I say...I was 8 and it was Disneyland...no sittin' down watchin' silly shows for me...I wanted to go on rides!!!).
I must admit, as much fun as that all was, I really like my RP and never seem to get enough stick time. Though just a hunk of foam, it's a blast to fly, (thought I would get back on-subject so I won't get yelled at!).

Sonny
Sonny to bounce back off topic and then back on.
I too started with a PT-19 when I was a kid. For some unknown reason I still had the box from it. Prolly for naustalgic reasons up until a few years ago. I was cleaning out the garage and I found what was the last remaining piece of the front of the fusealage with a now very rusty and frozen cox .049 engine attached. As I tossed it in the garbage with a fond rememberance of one of the things from my youth that had brought me so much joy I was bounced back to earth and reminded that of how far that journey in RC has taken me. Now back onto subject. That as you refer to hunk of foam was the first larger then ultra micro plane that I purchased. Two war birds , two foam 3D planes and now an Assassin combat wing later it still remains as a plane that is near and dear to me. I made what I hope is a successful repair to the cracks in the firewall last night and am hoping to have her back up in the air today at the flying field, She is a nice break from the stresses of high speed 70-80 mph combat wing flying and I love showing up an hour or so earlier then the other guys and tossing her up for a couple of long relaxing flights.

One another subject on the Radian Pro I have a question.
Over the last few months as a result of a few other times crashing and or hard landings and having to replace the prop and spinner now when I let off the throttle and glide the folding prop does not fold down and the prop either is freewheeling at a slow speed and or the motor is not all of the way off. It is hard to tell. I have checked my throttle trim and it seems to be set right. Any ideas of what else I should check ?
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:43 AM
Port Elizabeth. South Africa
Joined Aug 2010
192 Posts
To get the CG at 77mm will it be necessary to add to weight to the tail? With the battery all the way in the CG won't balance at 77mm.
WaynejG is online now Find More Posts by WaynejG
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:58 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynejG View Post
To get the CG at 77mm will it be necessary to add to weight to the tail? With the battery all the way in the CG won't balance at 77mm.
Yup. A quarter taped to the tail did the trick on mine.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:37 PM
Port Elizabeth. South Africa
Joined Aug 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yup. A quarter taped to the tail did the trick on mine.

Joel
Cool thanks. Thought mine was bent LOL
WaynejG is online now Find More Posts by WaynejG
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:14 AM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
It works for me too! The arms on the aileron servos are swept forward about 45 degrees, and that provides a decent aileron differential. None is programmed in the radio. May as well add that on the flaps, the arm is swept back about 40 degrees, and that allows me to get almost 90 degree flaps.
I did the measurements on a clean setup;
LAL 26 degrees swept forward
RAL 36 degrees swept forward

L FLAP 95 degrees swept backwards
R FLAP 80 degrees sweep backwards

Before is start digging into this, does everyone agree on the settings?
Ailerons = 45 degrees forward swept.
Flaps = 40 degrees backward swept.
I do not want to change the arm settings and then have to do it again!

Thank you for helping me with this issue!
Robin
YelKiteFlyer is offline Find More Posts by YelKiteFlyer
Last edited by YelKiteFlyer; Mar 17, 2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:20 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelKiteFlyer View Post
I do not want to change the arm settings and then have to do it again
I don't think there will be much agreement on the numbers, other than the aileron should be swept forward and the flaps backwards. It's going to vary depending on which holes are used on the servo arms and horns, as well on how much flap deflection people desire. The important thing is that they are the same on both sides. I'm using the outer holes on all 4 servo arms. On the aileron horns it is the second closest hole to the wing, and on the flap horns it is the second from being furthest out. Other people's will be different.

The ten degree difference between the aileron arms doesn't surprise me at all, as mine were even worse. On the flap that is 95 degrees...does that mean it is past horizontal and 5 degrees up into the wing? The numbers you have given definitely show how casually the arms were initially installed.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:25 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
I don't think there will be much agreement on the numbers, other than the aileron should be swept forward and the flaps backwards. It's going to vary depending on which holes are used on the servo arms and horns, as well on how much flap deflection people desire. The important thing is that they are the same on both sides. I'm using the outer holes on all 4 servo arms. On the aileron horns it is the second closest hole to the wing, and on the flap horns it is the second from being furthest out. Other people's will be different.

The ten degree difference between the aileron arms doesn't surprise me at all, as mine were even worse. On the flap that is 95 degrees...does that mean it is past horizontal and 5 degrees up into the wing? The numbers you have given definitely show how casually the arms were initially installed.
I will most likely use your figures. Your RP's ailerons and flaps work.

1) I feel the numbers at the outside ranges would mean a lot. My reasoning.
The Ailerons should be 15 mm up and 12 mm down, by the book. My left aileron only had a maximum travel of 11 mm down at 150% on the radio. My right aileron did have a little more to go. The LAL arm on the servo is at 26 degrees and my RAL is at 36 degrees. Therefore I should move the LAL to at least 36 degrees to get the little bit extra throw. You have said the ailerons should be at a 45 degree forward swept. Since your ailerons work correctly then I should move them both to 45 degrees.

2) The measurements might be off. They are both backward swept, so I must have read the protractor wrong, in other words turned it around! If you need I can take pictures.

I have a few other questions coming with pictures.

It is sunny with a few clouds at 9C with 15 k winds and my RP and I are inside.
What a shame..
Robin.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:46 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Pictures with questions.

All,
I have taken a few pictures and have concerns regarding them.

Item 1
Left Wing:The body of the servo starts at 9 1/2 inches from the body.
Right Wing:The body of the servo starts at 9 inches from the body.

Does this difference matter?

Item 2
Left Flap:The control rod is tilted towards the body of the plane.
RightFlap:The control rod is tilted away the body of the plane.

To me, I would think that the control rods should be at 90 degrees to the top of the servo. Does this matter?

I am frustrated, I am new to this and it is driving me crazy. I do not even know if what I am looking at is correct or not. Are the control rods at an angle because of the airflow over the wing area and its interaction with the flap? Are the servos at diffent lengths to offset the torque of the electric motor?

I am becoming tired of thinking, if you know what I mean and I know squat.
Robin
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,310 Posts
Item #1 the flap servos are a different distance from the fuse so the servo shafts point in the same direction so both flaps move down when using a Y harness on the RX. You will notice that the aileron servos are mounted as a mirror image of each other, this is why the ail move in opposite directions.

#2 as long as the linkage doesn't bind then don't worry about it, no one will notice when it's in the air.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Item1
As Bob said the aileron servos are mirror images of each other because they move in opposite directions. The Flap servos are not mirror images because they move in the same direction. The difference in the two is to try to get the weight of the center of the servo more or less the same on each wing. On my plane, I needed to tape a quarter to one wing to get the lateral balance correct.

Item2
Yours look the same as mine did when it came out of the box. All you need to do is undo the clevis, pull the z-bend out of the servo arm, and put it in from the opposite side. Then the direction of pull will be straighter.

Is there an excuse for such sloppy assembly? The short answer is yes. If you were making 10c per plane to assemble them, and you had to supply your own glue, and you had a family to feed, you would probably slap them together without too much thought for the end user's frustration. All the elements of a great plane are there, but we must make some changes before it is truly RTF.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Item1
As Bob said the aileron servos are mirror images of each other because they move in opposite directions. The Flap servos are not mirror images because they move in the same direction. The difference in the two is to try to get the weight of the center of the servo more or less the same on each wing. On my plane, I needed to tape a quarter to one wing to get the lateral balance correct.

Item2
Yours look the same as mine did when it came out of the box. All you need to do is undo the clevis, pull the z-bend out of the servo arm, and put it in from the opposite side. Then the direction of pull will be straighter.

Is there an excuse for such sloppy assembly? The short answer is yes. If you were making 10c per plane to assemble them, and you had to supply your own glue, and you had a family to feed, you would probably slap them together without too much thought for the end user's frustration. All the elements of a great plane are there, but we must make some changes before it is truly RTF.
Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,560 Posts
Anybody have a skylark dianmu OSD on there radian?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
This is how I approached the off set angle...... hope its not a mistake

TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit