HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v9climber View Post
Has anyone set up the pro with the DX6i instructions successfully? I have checked and rechecked all the settings as detailed and still having an issue with Crow. Flaps work fine, but when I go to engage Crow one Aile deflects up and the other down.. like it was make a turn. So I ask has anyone had the setup as per the Horizon Hobby support page work? I have gone through the setup at least 5 times and have it set per the instructions and no luck with Crow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just as a reference all other surfaces move correctly. Thanks
I am having exactly this same issue, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Planes to compare against?`

I have been avidly reading this thread and it's predecessor. The last couple of days, people have been mentioning how tight the equipment area is. I was planning to make this plane convertible to FPV at some point and retire my EasyStar. I have mounted cameras on a number of planes and a full house design really appeals to me. What other planes are there in this category? How does a Multiplex EasyGlider compare, I would modify it to use flaps to level the comparison.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
FZS
eFred
Punta Gorda, FL USA
Joined Mar 2004
52 Posts
The Radian Pro has dissapointing performance

I sold my Radian to a buddy so I could buy the Radian Pro. We have been flying them together for the past two days and my conclusion is the Radian is much better design than the Radian Pro. The Radian Pro has a smaller motor, producing about 2/3 the power of the Radian (18amps FP Radian versus 12 Amps FP Radian Pro). This makes for a very wimpy climb that requires pilot attention continiously to prevent it from 'falling off' the climb. Note, both Radians use the same battery, ESC and Prop.

In my humble opinion, the Pro should have been equipped with a more powerful motor, not less powerful.

Power off soaring the Pro is able to do some tighter turns into a thermal but it seems to have a poor glide ratio?? Wind has been up the past two days, so I'm not sure which of the two is a better duration ship. For sure, the Radian is much easier on the pilot, whereas the Pro requires constant pilot attention.

I have had a Multiplex Easy Glider for a 2-3 years and its a much better performer than the Pro.

Bottom line: I'll probably unload my Radian Pro and go back to the Radian.
FZS is offline Find More Posts by FZS
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaum View Post
I am having exactly this same issue, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Well I am just waiting till more people who have a DX6i try the support page set up. Thanks to Mike I got it to work but not through the mixes. Have it basically 2 seperate switch throws.

Matt from Horizon Hobby please take a look at this setup and tell us what is wrong. Thanks in advance
v9climber is offline Find More Posts by v9climber
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:26 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,243 Posts
FZS,

The Pro uses the same motor as the original, so you must have a problem somewhere. I would check out the battery first, and make sure it's getting a full charge. Don't be afraid to call Product Support to help get it sorted out.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
FZS
eFred
Punta Gorda, FL USA
Joined Mar 2004
52 Posts
Dave

We had two Radian Pro's and several Radians on the bench this morning. All agreed the Pro's motor looked smaller/different. The power comparison test was done with the same battery and ampmeter (fully charged 25C 1300 mah 3s and Medusa Power Analyzer). Same props on all Radians and Radian Pros.

I'll pull a motor and take a pic when I get a chance.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:03 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,408 Posts
.....I was right, I sort of knew that the Radian PRO is borderline underpowered.....

C'mon Horizon, live a little and give us more power....
98% of us who buy the RadianPRO do not do Contests/competitions.....

p.s.
the EZ Glider PRO, with a eFlite Power-10 motor and 3s-2200mah
can go vertical easily WOT "without crapping out while still climbing"
we want similiar performance....if its too much power,
dont use full throttle....but its nice if its there....

:-)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:18 PM
I don't giveup till it crashes
Claremore, Ok.
Joined May 2007
499 Posts
Hi all, picked up the Pro last evening from the LHS, open box and inspected everything, one aileron was slightly warped, not enough to be a problem, after sitting in a warm room overnight, it de-warped on it's own.

What I discovered this morning when setting everything up was, the Rud would not recenter, give right rud - release stick, rud would be app 1/4" to the right, give left rud - release stick, rud would be app 1/4" to the left, would not recenter. After some investigation discovered the 'control rods' were binding in the 'sleeves' where they make the bend into the servo bay about 3" from the end of the sleeves, after fixing the rud, I checked the Ele and it was doing the same, just not as bad, only about 1/16" to 1/8" out of center. I tried several things to loosen them up to no avail.

What I ended up doing was replacing them with smaller control rods, the stock control rods are .045" dia, I dug around and came up with some smaller rods, .030" dia, cut them to length and soldered on dubro clevises, same style clevises I used on the original Radian to get rid of the thumb screws. All is working better now.

Anyone programed a JR 8103 radio with crow, reflex and camber yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Too cold and windy to fly today, tomorrow looks better. Will give flight report after.

mm
Mr. Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Mike
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Wing exchange

I am in the fortunate position of being retired, and working in my LHS just for fun.
It doesn't pay much, but I get all the Balsa wood I can eat!!.

I own a Radian, and when the Radian Pro arrived last week I checked the wing against my 'old' Radian: In a word; completely different.

The Pro has a convex wing root (in plan view), not the dovetail joiner of the MK1. The fuselage has a built in plastic piece which connects to the wing panel retainer, and acts as wing rod locator in the fuse, which will of course transfer some wing load to the fuselage.

The wing thickness less on the Pro, but the chord is about the same.
I was going to order just a wing set to convert mine to a Pro, which no doubt others were thinking too. The only similarities I see are the motor mount, the canopy and the horizontal stab. "All else is mystery"!

Just my observations.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:35 PM
FZS
eFred
Punta Gorda, FL USA
Joined Mar 2004
52 Posts
Motor pics from Radian pro (mm)
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZS View Post
Motor pics from Radian pro (mm)
How do these measurements compare with the original Radian motor?
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:07 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
FZS,

The Pro uses the same motor as the original, so you must have a problem somewhere. I would check out the battery first, and make sure it's getting a full charge. Don't be afraid to call Product Support to help get it sorted out.
i don't know about the "Stat's" of the two motors but the motor in the Radian Pro "Looks" nothing like the motor in the Radian

if you check my un-boxing vid out i point this out and show the difference

as for flying though, i have had no trouble getting the Pro up to my desired height to start searching for thermals, i haven't had the Radian with me for comparison as i'm so wrapped with the Pro

the Pro isn't the Radian and handles nothing like the Radian, it flies like a full house glider, which i believe is what we all asked for

i have had 4 outing with mine now, one of those i found some great thermals and the Pro was great to fly

i think some people expect too much from a relatively cheap "Foam" glider for me this bird rocks everyone to their own i guess

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
Quote:
I sold my Radian to a buddy so I could buy the Radian Pro. We have been flying them together for the past two days and my conclusion is the Radian is much better design than the Radian Pro. The Radian Pro has a smaller motor, producing about 2/3 the power of the Radian (18amps FP Radian versus 12 Amps FP Radian Pro). This makes for a very wimpy climb that requires pilot attention continiously to prevent it from 'falling off' the climb. Note, both Radians use the same battery, ESC and Prop.

In my humble opinion, the Pro should have been equipped with a more powerful motor, not less powerful.

Power off soaring the Pro is able to do some tighter turns into a thermal but it seems to have a poor glide ratio?? Wind has been up the past two days, so I'm not sure which of the two is a better duration ship. For sure, the Radian is much easier on the pilot, whereas the Pro requires constant pilot attention.

I have had a Multiplex Easy Glider for a 2-3 years and its a much better performer than the Pro.

Bottom line: I'll probably unload my Radian Pro and go back to the Radian.

This is quite surprising news about the motor as the video from Horizon says it is the same motor. It should be pulling about 18 amps. I think you have a problem with your motor.

I would contact product support and see if maybe some of them got the wrong motor.

This is the product overview - At 6:19 they say it is the same power system as the original, so you have a problem of some kind on yours if it is only pulling 12 amps at full throttle. You should be pulling about 18-19 amps on the bench with a fully charged 3S battery.

HorizonHobby.com Preview - ParkZone Radian Pro (7 min 40 sec)

If you do have the right motor and prop, then I would suspect your battery is having a problem leading to too much voltage drop. I would try it with a different battery pack. There is definately something wrong.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 25, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
gpm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
13 Posts
motor current draw

Quote:
The Radian Pro has a smaller motor, producing about 2/3 the power of the Radian (18amps FP Radian versus 12 Amps FP Radian Pro).
Sounds like your motor might be suspect ?
I've had the pro out for about 9 flights now, and using the hyperion emeter and rdu, the average static current draw at launch is usually 19.6A/233w, using Rhino 3S 1850 cells. This varies slightly depending upon the IR of what battery pack I'm using.
(ps, the supplied pack has quite high IR, measures about 30mohm, the Rhino's are between 3 to 6mohm, haven't even bothered to use the parkzone 1300......)
gpm is offline Find More Posts by gpm
Last edited by gpm; Nov 25, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:02 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
This is quite surprising news about the motor as the video from Horizon says it is the same motor. It should be pulling about 18 amps. I think you have a problem with your motor.

I would contact product support and see if maybe some of them got the wrong motor.

This is the product overview - At 6:19 they say it is the same power system as the original, so you have a problem of some kind on yours if it is only pulling 12 amps at full throttle. You should be pulling about 18 amps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDVpYsK9kww

Or you have a problem with the battery that you are getting to much voltage drop. I would try it with a different battery pack. There is definately something wrong.
In that same video they also stated that you could not interchange the wings either but everyone is talking like they are going to.
DoomsDay is online now Find More Posts by DoomsDay