SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Max, where do you get this info? Look at the cowling of the Radian and Radian Pro.... they are the same part. There is a huge built-in offset.
Are you suggesting 3 degrees more down thrust and 2 degrees more right thrust??? Where is it that you got 3 and 2 degrees as being "the proper adjustments"

Enquiring minds need to know.

Alan
Are you serious? Just because the offset is built into the cowling does that mean that there is no need to make any further adjustments, because the factory has sent you a perfectly aligned fuselage? And you've never heard of the 3/3? But personally, I prefer 3/2. But, in all honesty, the P-factor goes much deeper than what little tidbit of advice I've given in regards to the motor offset. We'd have to get into wing incidence/neutralizing propwash...yada yada yada.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Last edited by Maximilionalpha; Feb 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:46 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
thanks

Thanks guys!

Just checking in case my new battery and esc doesn't help the climb.
the angles are correct on the cowling but would not have done anything if it wasn't. Done too much already to an airframe that is already too heavy. Should have gotten something newer but the Radian(s) are still the biggest bang for your buck.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Mooes, can you tell me what kind of recorder you are using? I want something exactly like that. Thanks.
I use a GPS module called "GPS Logger" from a company called SM-Modellbau here in Germany (sorry, the entire website is in German, but with Google Translate, it's pretty readable: translated website). They provide a bunch of different very small and lightweight sensors that also provide live telemetry for Jeti Duplex, Multiplex M-Link, and Graupner HoTT systems. If you just want logs that you can examine after your flight, you can use pretty much any small GPS logger (if I remember correctly, this issue has come up a couple times in this thread and people mentioned some specific products, so you may want to try searching the thread for those posts). They will also be quite a bit cheaper.
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:31 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
I just bought another radian yesterday I can't wait to start long range soaring I'm going to be putting a 300mw 1.3ghz tx and a skylark dianmu osd on it. And of course dragonlink and rmrc 700 camera with a pan and tilt.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooes View Post
I use a GPS module called "GPS Logger" from a company called SM-Modellbau here in Germany (sorry, the entire website is in German, but with Google Translate, it's pretty readable: translated website). They provide a bunch of different very small and lightweight sensors that also provide live telemetry for Jeti Duplex, Multiplex M-Link, and Graupner HoTT systems. If you just want logs that you can examine after your flight, you can use pretty much any small GPS logger (if I remember correctly, this issue has come up a couple times in this thread and people mentioned some specific products, so you may want to try searching the thread for those posts). They will also be quite a bit cheaper.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep on looking.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:23 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
The firewall has the offset built in.
Hello JumpySticks, haven't heard from you for a while. I'm glad to hear you are still flying. If I remember correctly, you had some kind of a GPS logger in your plane that could produce plots in Google Earth. Can you tell us what type it is?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:25 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep on looking.
JumpySticks suggested this particular model & this is what I picked up, fits PERFECT in the flight deck even with a 2200mAh batt:

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730...ps+data+logger
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hello JumpySticks, haven't heard from you for a while. I'm glad to hear you are still flying. If I remember correctly, you had some kind of a GPS logger in your plane that could produce plots in Google Earth. Can you tell us what type it is?
Haven't been flying much due to weather. I'm actually glad we're getting a winter this year, to kill off the mosquitoes and stuff.

Yes I'm still using the Canmore logger, and it works great.

If anyone is interested in what it can do, check the blog.

Mine is velcroed under the canopy, behind the air scoop and runs every flight....because you never know what the next launch will bring!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:14 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
JumpySticks suggested this particular model & this is what I picked up, fits PERFECT in the flight deck even with a 2200mAh batt:

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730...ps+data+logger
That looks pretty nice. How does it do with altitude? I am not really looking for something to give me 6 inch accuracy, just a general idea of the altitude during the flight.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:07 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That looks pretty nice. How does it do with altitude? I am not really looking for something to give me 6 inch accuracy, just a general idea of the altitude during the flight.
Check out some of the google earth plots. I think it's plenty accurate for our purposes. If it was not, then the flight path would jump all over the place, but it comes out very smooth.

Attached is an example. After it zooms in, hit "edit" and select "show elevation profile". The flight profile is as good as any that I see posted here. The google earth display is really the best I have seen anywhere.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:44 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
It works GREAT for altitude.... and than some! The software allows you to customize what information will be displayed, I think. It's been awhile since I've flown with the data logger, you'll have to confirm with Jumpy or visit the website:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

Just make sure "Absolute" is selected in the Track Options & Waypoint Options when you're ready to convert your file
Last edited by rcoconut; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Words added
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:21 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Help

I know I am asking a lot here but if someone could help. I know, I do not even know the right questions to ask, but I am trying. And you guys that know something will get a laugh out of it all!

I have a DX8.
What I need.

1) A picture of what the reflex looks like on the control surfaces.

2) Measurements of the movement of the control surfaces when reflex is activated.

Then I can set it up right.

Also;

I have set my plane set up in high rates as per the manuals values. All the switches were at 0.

Questions: When using low rates.
3) Do you program each control surface with each switch?
So if you wanted low rates on all control surfaces you would have to throw the RUDD D/R, the AIL D/R and the ELEV D/R switches. Is this statement correct?
4) There are 3 way switches for these D/R switches but the manual only has one value, do you set it up for value 1 or 2 on the switch?

I need an old guy that knows something to help another old guy (me) that does not know anything.

Thanks,
Robin
YelKiteFlyer is offline Find More Posts by YelKiteFlyer
Last edited by YelKiteFlyer; Mar 02, 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added pictures of Reflex on DX8 @ join of flaps & ailerons.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:54 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
It's not much but you may have to press pause so you can get a look at what Reflex looks like. Fast forward to 1:09 and take a look at the right wing 'cause the left wing is blocked by his arm:

Radian Pro DX8 setup (1 min 31 sec)

I too use a DX8 & have her setup with Flaps, Crow, Reflex & Camber, but I do not have measurements for any of those profiles. I do know for Camber I have 'em set down the width of the control surface, not much, I believe somebody mentioned 1/8"?? But I can't remember.

For me I don't have my RP setup on Dual Rates but I know a few others here do so hopefully they'll help you out more.

On my aircraft that I utilize Dual Rates, for me it's easier to have ALL control surfaces on one Switch for High & Low Rates. But I think it's whatever you like & feel comfortable with. I personally don't like switching 3 different switches to go from Low to High Rates and visa versa.

So to answer question #3 you may program each control surface to it's own switch, which would make your statment correct, "you would have to throw the RUDD D/R, the AIL D/R and the ELE D/R switches" Or you can do like i stated above, place 'em ALL on one switch. For my type of style of flying I'm good with 'em all being on one switch.

Good luck & I know guys will be chiming in that will be a lot more helpful with your radio setup.
Last edited by rcoconut; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: words added