Joined Mar 2012
917 Posts
Yes. Sorry for not being more specific.
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,921 Posts
[QUOTE=Maximilionalpha;24164797]What I've done to reinforce the cockpit of mine, was to soak fibreglass cloth soaked in resin and lined the cockpit all the way up to the nose. It's lightweight and dries to a very strong finish.[/QUOTE

Thats and intersting mod.
As someone that had replaced the fuse twice in the two years or so that I have been flying the RP I can appreciate the need to re-inforce that area of the plane.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Maiden flight today.

My wife bought me a RP for valentines day.

WOW!
I love this plane!

Thank you all for your help, you did not even know it. As I read this group's posts it taught me enough that the maiden of my new RP went off without a hitch. Well there was one hitch, I hit my spotter on the third flight, as I am not use to how long it glides before landing. The other times I landed I had to go for a walk to retrieve it.

I did not realize that there was so much work in setting it up. At times it felt like I was setting up a heli.

1) Ensuring all the control surfaces were at neutral mechanically.
2) Dialling in the control surfaces with sub trim.
3) Using a AccuThrow to make sure the control surfaces were moving the right amount.
4) Making sure the CG was right.

Two hours later, I was satisfied with the results. There is a little problem with the elevator but I will fix it next time I am out. I thought I had it set at neutral but it is up a tiny bit, I had to trim that out while flying.

Thank you all about telling me the RP will sometimes want to loop after hand tossing it when applying full throttle. I was prepared for this and everything worked out right.

I set the timer so it turns on and off after 25% of throttle is input. After 2:30 I stopped the flights and after charging I now know I could have extended my flights to 5:00 minutes of motor run time. I was using the 1300's recommended by parkzone.

It was a great day!

Thanks again guys for making it such a great day!

Robin.
YelKiteFlyer is offline Find More Posts by YelKiteFlyer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelKiteFlyer View Post

WOW!
I love this plane!

Thank you all for your help, you did not even know it. As I read this group's posts it taught me enough that the maiden of my new RP went off without a hitch. Well there was one hitch, I hit my spotter on the third flight, as I am not use to how long it glides before landing. The other times I landed I had to go for a walk to retrieve it.

I did not realize that there was so much work in setting it up. At times it felt like I was setting up a heli.

3) Using a AccuThrow to make sure the control surfaces were moving the right amount.

Two hours later, I was satisfied with the results. There is a little problem with the elevator but I will fix it next time I am out. I thought I had it set at neutral but it is up a tiny bit, I had to trim that out while flying.

Thank you all about telling me the RP will sometimes want to loop after hand tossing it when applying full throttle. I was prepared for this and everything worked out right.

I set the timer so it turns on and off after 25% of throttle is input. After 2:30 I stopped the flights and after charging I now know I could have extended my flights to 5:00 minutes of motor run time. I was using the 1300's recommended by parkzone.

It was a great day!

Robin.
Congratulations on the new RP
your gonna love it.
I find it a relaxing change of pace from my other planes.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:

WOW!
I love this plane!

It was a great day!

Robin.
2hrs from box to sky?

strange.

as mine arrived in the post i put it straight in the car, used the supplied charger to charge the suplied battery and charged it on the way to the field. built the radian pro, poped in the battery and flew straight from my hands.
of course i checked that the surfaces were all responding correctly and everything was secure. but thats it.

congrats anyway. youll have so much fun with it.

i was flying yesterday against my brother and his radian1. they are so close in performance and so much fun.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
2hrs from box to sky?

strange.

as mine arrived in the post i put it straight in the car, used the supplied charger to charge the suplied battery and charged it on the way to the field. built the radian pro, poped in the battery and flew straight from my hands.
of course i checked that the surfaces were all responding correctly and everything was secure. but thats it.

congrats anyway. youll have so much fun with it.

i was flying yesterday against my brother and his radian1. they are so close in performance and so much fun.
i will venture a guess 75% of that was programming the radio features. I know I took a lot of time to get my Crow and reflex set up and balance the deflections on my ailerons and such. it's all a matter of your comfort level of putting the plane into the air for a maiden flight. I haven't needed to change much programming since the initial flights
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Two hours from box to sky, incuding radio programming sounds good to me.

YelKiteFlyer,

What radio are you using?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2011
46 Posts
Quote:

WOW!
I love this plane!

It was a great day!

Robin.
Congrats! It's great for sailing right out of the box...using a 2200 mAh battery, I've gotten 45 minute flights in 10 mph winds and thermals, so I can surf into the wind while hunting for the next good thermal.

Cheers!
flatsphere is offline Find More Posts by flatsphere
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:24 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

YelKiteFlyer,

I am using the dx8 and yes I did download the program for the RP.

What I did not like was that one aileron was moving 20 mm up and down and the other was only moving 10 mm. I knew there was a problem. The right aileron I had to screw in the connector as far as it would go, I am a bit concerned about that. Is servo really centered or is there another problem? It is moving correctly now.

The flaps were off a little about 1 mm down. And they were only moving about 10 mm for full flaps. So I used sub trim to get them even, then used travel adjustment so they moved the proper amount.

The rudder was off about 3 mm from center and I knew I would be making right hand turns for ever! I screwed in the connector to straighten that out. The movement was correct though.

I set everything to the high rates settings, as I did not want to go through the entire routine for low rates. I ran out of patience setting everything up and my wife had heard enough out of me.

I did not even set d/r or expo.

I was tired and miserable by the end of the process, next time I will set up low rates. Maybe... I really don't want to go through that whole process again.

It was all worth it! The flying was fantastic, I think I even hit a bottom of a thermal, there were hawks circling about 700 ft above where I was flying. I only took it up to 200 - 250 ft. and I always flew it upwind of me. BTW, that is another thank you to you guys. Flying it upwind kept me out of a lot of trouble. I have to keep in mind just to take baby steps, I want to come home with the plane.

It is spitting out here and suppose to rain later, so no flying today.
But tomorrow looks good, I can't wait to get out there again.

Robin.
PS. I'm hooked, line and sinker.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsphere View Post
Congrats! It's great for sailing right out of the box...using a 2200 mAh battery, I've gotten 45 minute flights in 10 mph winds and thermals, so I can surf into the wind while hunting for the next good thermal.

Cheers!
Dx8 and the explanation is in my last post.

What does your CG look like when you use the 2200's? I have a few of those for the trex 450.

Robin
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:18 PM
Canada, BC, Aldergrove
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

YelKiteFlyer,

No, I put together the plane up the day before, then it was just 2 hours to set up the plane. I explained it in my last post.

Robin
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Pro remake status

Cannot call this a rebuild any longer. When I was ordering the wing set I went ahead and ordered the fuse and horizontal.
Done so far:
Did fuse stiffening similar to Mr. Naton.
Added bamboo skewer to vertical fin.
Removed cowl and inserted a left and right skewer from nose back to wing .
Stiffened fuse between cock pit and wing using left and right skewers in turtle deck.

These are all places my original Pro broke.

Since I have not read of any non impact failures of the wing I will not stiffen that.(no tape no non stock carbon tube in the wing).
I do have two 12 inch wing sections that if I can get a longer carbon tube and lengthen the wing span by 20 inches. Roughly 20% increase in wing area for 1% extra weight.
I am increasing the size of the battery. The old one is only 15C and the controller is pushing to run 6 servos so switching to a 40 Amp controll3er with a 3 A battery eliminator.
Installing my new 8 ch radio instead of old 6 channel.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:47 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Sounds very sensible since you have to move everything over to it. The only thing I would personally skip is the wing extension
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Sounds very sensible since you have to move everything over to it. The only thing I would personally skip is the wing extension
Yeah the wing extension is the very last thing I will do and then on as a what if.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:44 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Yeah the wing extension is the very last thing I will do and then on as a what if.
One of the reasons i would skip it is you not only have the weakness of the joint to extend it, you have the lack of a similar increase in Stab area for control AND then you end up with a stretch in only one direction so you have a short coupled model anyway. You could certainly buy the replacement foam parts for something like the Mystique or some other larger powered glider and move your gear over
RCG Plus Member