HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a question for all of you experienced thermal chasers if you don't mind. What are realistic wind conditions that someone can fly the Radian Pro without losing it to the possible wind velocity monster? From what I understand you should have CG a bit forward? I've seen some of the Old Radian posts on wind speeds, but I'm curious about this new bird. Can it handle 20km/h (12.4mph), 30km/h (18.6mph), or possibly 40km/h (24.9 mph) or more? I realize it is foam, but I'm curious what some of you have achieved or dared to experiment with.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

If this has already been discussed...sorry for repeating....
rcmarky is offline Find More Posts by rcmarky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
Hobby King Orange Receivers

I not sure if anyone is interested, but Hobby King just notified me they have a new shipment of Orange Receivers and the satellite receivers in stock.....order now or wait until the next stock order.

Bill
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Last edited by BillyP52; Dec 29, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
I don't giveup till it crashes
Claremore, Ok.
Joined May 2007
499 Posts
Packin' the pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
I take mine apart.
I used the box it came In and sliced the top of the box on 3 sides so one side is like a hinge.
When I get to the airfield the first thing I do is take the wings out of box followed by The fuselage. I then plug the right wing aileron and flaps into the 4 pin connectors I nstalled then I put wing in fuselage and screw it snug. I grab the left slide slide the wing spar n and connect this wing to the other 4 pin. Then I put in fuselage. I then grab the elevator and slide that not place followed. I connect the servo rod to the horn then tape the elevator in place. I do a pre flight check and give it a toss.. Takes just a few minutes and all goes back in box. I Velcro the top of box down so it can sit flat or on its side..
I put the wing screws in 2 litle holes in the foam I drilled out.

If yu want pictures let me know
Yea, KK, I would like to see your setup. I'm just waiting for my 4 pin deans to get here and that will cut the time for assembly, then I need to come up with a transport method.

NCH, that's clever, may try that also, got any better photos. I have both Rad v1 & Rad v2.

Have only flown the Pro 4 times, 2 thermal hunting, 2 test programing flights, my field is close, so have transported assembled so far, but have other fields I want to fly at.

Anybody else have a different way of transport?

mm
Mr. Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Mike
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post

NCH, that's clever, may try that also, got any better photos. I have both Rad v1 & Rad v2.

m
I'll try to get some better photos when I get a chance to get it outside.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarky View Post
Hey guys,
I have a question for all of you experienced thermal chasers if you don't mind. What are realistic wind conditions that someone can fly the Radian Pro without losing it to the possible wind velocity monster? From what I understand you should have CG a bit forward? I've seen some of the Old Radian posts on wind speeds, but I'm curious about this new bird. Can it handle 20km/h (12.4mph), 30km/h (18.6mph), or possibly 40km/h (24.9 mph) or more? I realize it is foam, but I'm curious what some of you have achieved or dared to experiment with.

hey,i Maidened mine yesterday ,She loves wind...have alot of throws on your TX and make sure shes abit nose heavy for wind penetration...And if you can fly decently,you'll have now Prob..Get some Altitude..i got about 600-800ft in about 30 secs...So get high directly into the wind and cut your throttle.. and always remember what way the wind is blowing from. I found that she slowed down big time, pretty much too a stop and just hanging in the wind with those winds...But still get headway with throttle..
Id fly her in 40km/h easily lol
you;ll love it...
Winds yesterday were 25km/h with gust of 35 ish..Landing was abit hairy a few times
Check it out...
Radian Pro Maiden Flight (6 min 59 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Dec 29, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:29 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
hey,i Maidened mine yesterday ,She loves wind...have alot of throws on your TX and make sure shes abit nose heavy for wind penetration...And if you can fly decently,you'll have now Prob..Get some Altitude..i got about 600-800ft in about 30 secs...So get high directly into the wind and cut your throttle.. and always remember what way the wind is blowing from. I found that she slowed down big time, pretty much too a stop and just hanging in the wind with those winds...But still get headway with throttle..
Id fly her in 40km/h easily lol
you;ll love it...
Winds yesterday were 25km/h with gust of 35 ish..Landing was abit hairy a few times
Check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebfd...layer_embedded
Thank you sir, I think I will. We get some strong 30 - 40 km/h chinook winds from the west every once in a while in the winter which is a double bonus because it warms up to around 5 - 10C so you don't freeze your.....well...you know...hands

I'm messing around with some gyros as well. One set on the pitch and the other on yaw. If for nothing else it will be for *&$# and giggles. I've used them on my other planes with success, so I'm chomping at the bit to give this puppy a go!!

Nice video by the way...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
USA, IN, Floyds Knobs
Joined Dec 2009
41 Posts
Thanks for that video. Now after having seen this video and others, I can say my stock Radian Pro does *not* have any power issues. When I launched mine into the wind, it was 300 yards away before I could grab the transmitter!
ancjr is offline Find More Posts by ancjr
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:40 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,Yea if you want the gyros would be cool too mess with with...Not sure if you read the other tread..But having Rudder mixed with AIL is great..you hear me talking about it in the vid.
i had it on the AIL d/r at first untill i tried flying it with the left stick...i can,but its much easier with it mixed. I have the UM 4 Site if i want too use the rudder ALOT
Check my Blog for what ive done too the Pro..Good luck
and have fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
Friends,

Do you experienced Radian-Pro pilots remove the wings for transport to and from the flying field, or do you keep the wings attached to the fuse during transport in a car?

If you keep the wings attached during transport in a car or small minivan, do you have any tips for somone like me who is trying to figure out how to securely transport the R-P to & from the field?

(Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it!)

Thanks!

Kevin
Here's my method. I used the original box and cut open the top. I stiffened the top by doubling it with cardboard from the shipping box. I used packaging tape to make straps to hold the fuse and wings in place. I put tape face to face where to touches the foam so it doesn't stick to the foam. I taped the box to the shipping foam all around the edge and it's pretty strong. I use several packaging tape flaps to hold the lid down when closed. I put tape on the cardboard where I use the tape flaps so when opening and closing the box the tape doesn't tear up the cardboard. I fold over the end of the flaps about 1/4" so I can easily lift the tape flaps.

I even enlarged the transmitter hole so the DX6i will fit in the box.

The fuse is missing from the pics because I was working on it but it does fit.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Question you may not be able to answer >>>

When gliding on air power alone/thermal or otherwise; how do you determine servo power usage vs. remaining battery life? O.K., used the motor to get to altitude and that is a fair known value of battery usage by viewing the timer on my Dx7; however, once the motor is shutdown, the servos continue to use energy as you stick control the bird. How do you estimate battery usage from servos alone?

I am wondering how long I can stay aloft at altitiude without motor power, on servos alone.....and still be able to control the Pro from let down to set down.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
When gliding on air power alone/thermal or otherwise; how do you determine servo power usage vs. remaining battery life? O.K., used the motor to get to altitude and that is a fair known value of battery usage by viewing the timer on my Dx7; however, once the motor is shutdown, the servos continue to use energy as you stick control the bird. How do you estimate battery usage from servos alone?

I am wondering how long I can stay aloft at altitiude without motor power, on servos alone.....and still be able to control the Pro from let down to set down.
The best I can tell you is fly it for a time you determine (power on) with a Tx watch or wrist watch and bring it down and find out how much battery you have left. I always forget to either turn on or off the Tx clock. Be nice to have a Tx that does it for you as some do.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:28 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've flown in wind at least 25 mph with gusts even higher. I put the Radian together behind my car so the wings don't break. After the flight I either fly it again or take it apart. I can't set it down. I just hold it by the nose into the wind until I get behind the car. I have an EagleTree logger and the Radian can fly over 55 mph in a dive. But don't use the elevate at that speed. Just cut the engine and it will slow very quickly. Also, stay up wind and land BEFORE you run out of battery. You'll need power to penetrate the wind to land. Either catch it or land close so you can get to it before it blows away. Above about 15 mph it might not stay on the ground.
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
If you fly to LVC you have probably used about 75% of the battery's capacity. Given a 1000mah battery (for example) that leaves 250 mah left before the lipo gets down into the 3v per cell permanent damage zone. As a guess I'd say average throttle off power usage in the Radian Pro is somewhere around 250-500 mah (depending on servo loads). So with the example battery that means roughly 1/2 to 1 hour of flight time after LVC before the battery is at risk of damage.

But note...the bec will continue to power the rx and servos long after the battery has hit 3v per cell so there is really no danger of losing control, just a risk of permanent damage to the lipo.

.......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
I've flown in wind at least 25 mph with gusts even higher. I put the Radian together behind my car so the wings don't break. After the flight I either fly it again or take it apart. I can't set it down. I just hold it by the nose into the wind until I get behind the car. I have an EagleTree logger and the Radian can fly over 55 mph in a dive. But don't use the elevate at that speed. Just cut the engine and it will slow very quickly. Also, stay up wind and land BEFORE you run out of battery. You'll need power to penetrate the wind to land. Either catch it or land close so you can get to it before it blows away. Above about 15 mph it might not stay on the ground.
I wonder how fast its going at 1:45 Mark?..He must of had a Spotter with Binoculars or somethng .theres no way he could get that form where hes too..Insane video...
Fourth of July Handcart Gulch (6 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:33 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I wonder how fast its going at 1:45 Mark?..He must of had a Spotter with Binoculars or somethng .theres no way he could get that form where hes too..Insane video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHpZS5B4vE
It's hard to say. I use the GoPro Hero HD and the video can be deceiving. The video will show you miles away...at least what seems to be miles away...while the whole time you are doing nothing different than before. He's probably got an easy visual of it. Then again...I could be right out to lunch! I'm curious how fast he gets also. Looks like a great place to fly, not to mention an awesome video.