Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:07 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
I'm afraid I bought the wrong glider.
What do you want it to do that it will not do?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:13 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
It's not really responsive aileron wise and does not like speed. The wings flex too much doing so. I really didn't do my reasurch, just bought it on a whim cause my dad had gotten one. Guess what I'm looking for is a straight wing glider that rolls cleanly. But for putting around the sky I guess it's a nice flyer.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:29 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2005
301 Posts
My RP is one of my first planes as I came from heli's and quads. I like the fact that I can just run it up and then float it back down. So much more relaxing than heli's. Is it really meant to be a speedy, rolling type of glider?

Paul
ppridday is offline Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
From my experience, no.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:37 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Myko,
By now I have about 50 flights with mine and I feel pretty much like you do.

from past experience this thread is frequented by contributors that hold the RP in some sort of holy status.

Criticize it too loud and the flame-throwers come out ...

The problem with us who buy the first glider is that we don't know what to expect.
Personally, I'll keep the RP while it lasts but will not replace it with the same make or type of glider.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
I'm afraid I bought the wrong glider.
From your comments I agree. Gloders are meant to be flown slowly and smoothly, not yanked around the sky at high speed. Perhaps a hot-liner would be more to your liking.

I saw a guy flying this one just yesterday and was favorably impressed. It would go like a BOH but could also glide nicely. Constriction is nice too - fiberglass fuselage and sheeted balsa wings.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-kunlun-2000e.html
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
From your comments I agree. Gloders are meant to be flown slowly and smoothly, not yanked around the sky at high speed.
Hi Dave,
I agree with the SMOOTHLY part of your comment, but having seen many other gliders slice through the air at amazing speeds with grace, I cannot agree with the SLOWLY part of your statement.

Maybe you were trying to say that the RP is meant to be flown smoothly and slowly?

Brgds,
Danny
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:28 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
It's not really responsive aileron wise and does not like speed. The wings flex too much doing so. I really didn't do my reasurch, just bought it on a whim cause my dad had gotten one. Guess what I'm looking for is a straight wing glider that rolls cleanly. But for putting around the sky I guess it's a nice flyer.
Yes, you bought the wrong glider.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Dave,
I agree with the SMOOTHLY part of your comment, but having seen many other gliders slice through the air at amazing speeds with grace, I cannot agree with the SLOWLY part of your statement.

Maybe you were trying to say that the RP is meant to be flown smoothly and slowly?

Brgds,
Danny
I meant what I said. Gliders, including the Radian, CAN be flown at high speed on the slopes but that is not their forte. If that is what you want go for a hot-liner, which the Radian is not, but there is no point in arguing over semantics. Buy whatever suits your flying style.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Dave,
I've not flown the RP on a slope, and given the strength of the winds we get (the cape of Good Hope is not called the Cape of Storms for nothing) I'm not going to try it either.

I'm saving for a glider that is designed for slope soaring, not constructed of foam.

The RP is relegated to lazy flying, catching thermals in the hot hours of the day.

Brgds,
Danny
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
From your comments I agree. Gloders are meant to be flown slowly and smoothly, not yanked around the sky at high speed. Perhaps a hot-liner would be more to your liking.

I saw a guy flying this one just yesterday and was favorably impressed. It would go like a BOH but could also glide nicely. Constriction is nice too - fiberglass fuselage and sheeted balsa wings.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-kunlun-2000e.html
Wow, great reccomendatiton. It's cheap and is exactly what I want out of a glider. Thank you for your time and advise.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Wow, great reccomendatiton. It's cheap and is exactly what I want out of a glider. Thank you for your time and advise.
Check the reviews on the Nitroplanes page. The reviewers all liked it (Nitroplanes will not publish negative reviews) but there were some CG issues. I did not discuss that with the guy flying it but did ask what battery he was using. He said it was a 3s 2200 mah. Let us know what you think if you go for it. I am thinking it might be my next but.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:20 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppridday View Post
My RP is one of my first planes as I came from heli's and quads. I like the fact that I can just run it up and then float it back down. So much more relaxing than heli's. Is it really meant to be a speedy, rolling type of glider?

Paul
+1 It was my first plank after flying helis for 3 years. I had the basic model to start with and now I have a Pro. They are what they are and for the price they do well. Even my wife finds it relaxing just watching it float around the sky, especially if the eagles come for a fly as well. Would I buy another Pro. No, but I would buy another basic model to fly outside my back door. I would replace the Pro with something else because it's like changing cars. Its a man thing.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
radian pro flight with go pro (5 min 33 sec)
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz