HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
[I] decided to post-pone "Guppy build" because I don't want to not be able to fly.
I will include as many sensible mods that I can and since my current center section are pretty intact will give it a larger wingspan which probably would include modifying the existing flaps which are broken 2" off the outboard sides.

What do you think of fiber glassing the fuse or even silk span and polycrlic .
Maybe polycrilc and silk span everything. or fiberglass the fuse to give it some strength and silk span the wings and tail. The larger wingspan should easily overcome the additional weight. A larger prop and ESC will help too.
anyone want a build report or just wait for the finished product? or not.
The larger wingspan will make the stock fuselage more short coupled. I'm not sure fiberglassing will really improve the survivability. YMMV
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,939 Posts
Thank you for the picture tlar633. Those yellow strips are fiberglass, similar to the ones in the fuselage. That must have been some hit, to snap both of them in half. Using Polycrylic and cloth would make the plane very heavy and you would lose soaring performance.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
u r rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thank you for the picture tlar633. Those yellow strips are fiberglass, similar to the ones in the fuselage. That must have been some hit, to snap both of them in half. Using Polycrylic and cloth would make the plane very heavy and you would lose soaring performance.
Further inspection shows they are indeed fiberglass strips.

Really think it would be to heavy with silk span and polycrylic? Even with increased wing area?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:43 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Really think it would be to heavy with silk span and polycrylic? Even with increased wing area?
Depending on your flying style, it might be perfect. I like to keep my planes as light as possible and add removable ballast for super-windy days, but that's just me. If you wanted to do a lot of slope soaring and landing on rocks and in bushes, the cloth would probably be a good idea. Are you planning on getting another set of new wings or doing the extension out of scrap foam?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,491 Posts
Quote:
I have glassed the underside of the wings on my Radian using 1-ounce cloth and Polycrylic. I did so mainly to protect the bottom surface from scrapes and scratches on landing but it also adds stiffness. The process added about one ounce. On my next set I am going to glass the top and bottom but will go to 0.5-ounce cloth.

After glassing I painted the bottom of the wings with flat black Rust-Oleum Painter's Choice. It adheres well to the glassed surface and does not scrape off the way it does on an untreated wing.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
more on my rebuild

Decided not to spend a lot of time making a longer wing. Paul Naton and others suggested that it is probably not worth the effort although I have seen a 3 meter video.
Also someone stated than Ktylon paint will melt the foam (not Krylon H20.

All I want to do is make the plane thermal better and be stronger so I will do all of Mr. Natons Mods . I do plan on rebuilding the damaged wing but plan to cut out large sections of foam and leaving 3/8 ribs then covering (after adding proper spar the full length of wing (just curious and I have some light weight covering that works on foam)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:01 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,939 Posts
Quote:
I do plan on rebuilding the damaged wing but plan to cut out large sections of foam and leaving 3/8 ribs then covering (after adding proper spar the full length of wing
Yes the Krylon H2O is safe, but the other ones I tried were not. One thing to keep in mind while repairing the wings, is that they have quite a bit of washout. Most of the twist is built into the inner section, and the outer section is significantly rotated with respect to the root.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
while I am at it

Repaired old wing yesterday I think it will be OK to use in a pinch. I haven't decided for sure yet but may go ahead and cut the tips off and use the center to give almost 3 meter wing. OR cut out a lot of foam leaving ribs and cover with light weight film.

I am have a very hard time on props. I would like a suggestion on what size and pitch to give optimal climb on stock motor esc spinner and battery. I will change out the battery but bought a few stock ones and don't want to waste them. Climb doesn't need to be vertical but the closer the better.

Any other hints to increase thermal ability would be helpful.
Hey ! you guys talked me into rebuilding just want to do it right!

Thanks
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:23 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Repaired old wing yesterday I think it will be OK to use in a pinch. I haven't decided for sure yet but may go ahead and cut the tips off and use the center to give almost 3 meter wing. OR cut out a lot of foam leaving ribs and cover with light weight film.

I am have a very hard time on props. I would like a suggestion on what size and pitch to give optimal climb on stock motor esc spinner and battery. I will change out the battery but bought a few stock ones and don't want to waste them. Climb doesn't need to be vertical but the closer the better.

Any other hints to increase thermal ability would be helpful.
Hey ! you guys talked me into rebuilding just want to do it right!

Thanks
Be careful lightening the wing as it also weakens it. For the amount of weight saved with the lightening holes, you will make the wing more flexible/fragile with little benefit. The strength of the foam is in the surface area of the connection so if you cut out a "rib bay" it will break along the skinniest piece.

I am doing a lot of prop testing (was, I stopped for winter mid-October and will continue come March/April). The stock spinner is 6.5mm hub spread while most of the replacement blades are 8mm hubs. Note, I tested the stock blades on the aluminum spinner also for reference. Attached is the initial numbers I got. I didn't get a chance to measure the static thrust but I did spend a day flying with the TGS11x8F 11x8 prop and it gave me near vertical climbs and I didn't see any difference in flight times but the climb to altitude was much faster. I did use the aluminum spinner. I am not sure you can fit the 8mm hubs into the stock spinner. The numbers listed are a three run average with the same freshly charged 1 season old GensAce 1300mah 3S (I saw too large a difference between batteries). I also replaced my ESC with a Plush 40amp ESC with 3amp BEC due to the stock BEC (700mah) issues. I would be concerned that the extra motor draw of these other props would brown out the Rx.

this document will be updated with the actual static thrust this spring
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:50 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Excited to take my Radion Pro out today. Going to a new place with some small hills and such.
Still looking at the rudder mod and wondering if that might help. Hummmm
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Excited to take my Radion Pro out today. Going to a new place with some small hills and such.
Good luck there with the new spot there .
Goona look for some new spots in Fremont area for the Radian.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:51 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
If the wind is right, it doesn't take a very big hill to have lots of fun. Good luck with that new place. What kind of mod are you thinking of making to the rudder?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Yes the Krylon H2O is safe, but the other ones I tried were not.
I use Rustoleum Painter's Choice, which is carried by Home Depot. It comes in a nice selection of colors, most in gloss. semi-gloss and flat. It adhere fairly good but will scrape off easily to the bare Radian foam but sticks good to "glassed" surface . As always, test on some scrap material.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10905

Hobby King sells 18 grams/meter (about 0.5 ounce/square yard) glass cloth for $0.99/square meter that works nicely without adding too much weight (about one ounce/wing set). At a local fiberglass store it is available off the bolt at about $7/square yard. The only drawback from HK (other than the long shipping time) is that it comes in one-meter packages only which is marginally long enough to cover a Radian half-wing.
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,491 Posts
Deleted duplicate post.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:03 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
went flying with my bro yesterday. he flew his radian. i flew my pro!
northerly winds at about 12mph up to 19mph on a nice ridge site butserhill!
they both flew brilliantly.
neither one was better than the other as i flew both. the advantage in the situation was given to the pro for the ability to have reflex help massively with wind penetration without huge height loss. where as the rad1 had to nose down to get enough speed n penetration to get out to the best lift.
once we were both out in the lift together they both rose at the same rate being next to each other all the way up to 800ft or so wing tip to wing tip. eventualy the pros strengths preveiled as i used reflex, moved to better lift, cambered the wings and rose to 1173ft!
really happy few hours and it was my bros first time slope soaring and he loved it too.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23