SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Dang that sucks about the pro I would try to fix it. The wings look like poo on my first radian but I am still able to fly with them. Good luck
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Not screws but skewers. Just like a bamboo skewer but made of a piece of CF rod about the same diameter as the bamboo, and sharpened at one end. Just give me a bit of time, and I will upload all the info to the mod thread.
There's a Mod Thread?
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Spent the first part of my day flying my Pro. While I was in a very good thermal a guy shows up and sets up what I later discovered was a Rifle hot liner. He set up at the far end of the field , I was setting in my lawn chair just enjoying a great day. Since he arrived and I decided to land and as a turned onto final he was completing a high speed low level pass down the center of the field.. Since the wind was blowing in his direction I never heard his plane until it passed me a about 10 feet off the deck. Long story short he pulled up right into my plane totaling both models. He came running up as I was just sitting there trying to figure out why my plane was down a lot sooner than I expected. He seemed a little irritated ant me as if the crash was my fault. He actually thought I was still at altitude and never looked down low to see if it was clear. Finally he offered to pay...yep $30 dollars provided he could keep the pieces of the Pro. I declined

After he left I had a good time with my Eflite ASK 21 to my surprise I actually thermaled the thing for about 10 minutes, although it took over an hour of 10 to 20 second flights of the little high start to find one. The little beasty will be happier flying off the sand dunes at the beach.

rest in peace Radian Pro
looks fixable to me!
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
looks fixable to me!
I agree. besides, if you screw up fixing it, you can always throw it away later

I have a rule that anything I think is totalled I collect all the parts together and stick them in a corner of my show. I find that 2-3 weeks later, the damage looks a lot less. Just always police the area and pick up all the foam. It's a great rainy day jigsaw puzzle and then you can fly the cr@p out of it and not worry since it's a "free plane" from the scrap heap
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:31 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
868 Posts
This is not a criticism of new owners but the same questions come up time and time again. With 700 odd pages to trawl through if you are new to RP, even searches become daunting. We need a "sticky" on the first page with all the FAQ's, mods and suggestions.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Spent the first part of my day flying my Pro. While I was in a very good thermal a guy shows up and sets up what I later discovered was a Rifle hot liner. ....
I had a guy flying one of those at my field also. I landed when he showed up. His thing was to do a max speed dive with a low pass over the runway and then pull up into a big loop --- again and again. The plane was so fast there was no way anyone could get out of its way, and too fast for him to safely control it. Thankfully I haven't seen him for several months so I guess he got bored or crashed it.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:50 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
This is not a criticism of new owners but the same questions come up time and time again. With 700 odd pages to trawl through if you are new to RP, even searches become daunting. We need a "sticky" on the first page with all the FAQ's, mods and suggestions.
I hear you, thanks! It can get overwhelming when there is such a large thread.
New Radian owner.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
1 replace FG wing spar with CF
2 replace FG fuselage spar with CF
3 add a couple of small CF skewers to the V-stab
4 something such as a wire or plate added to the narrow waist of the elevator

Total weight gained: none. In fact it will end up lighter, the wings won't flap, and the whole plane will be stiffer giving the control surfaces more authority.

OOps almost forgot...all of the above mods are optional, but here is one that is not. Unhook the control rods at both ends and slide them back and forth. You can feel there is quite a bit of resistance, and that is due to a sticky black coating on the rods. Pull them out and sand them with fine sandpaper until the black stuff is gone. Now they move easier and the servos don't have to work so hard.
Thanks very much. What size CF for the wing and fuse spars? I would think strips for the sings (vertical mount) and rods for the fuse for lateral and vertical rigidity. I have a few foamie 3Ds so the skewers on the tail feathers I know about. How about the wing mounting set up? I get a little wobble in the wing saddle?
Appreciate the help. I did the same over on the Peaks and there are loads of good mods. Always a good place to check for tips before a disappointing maiden that could have been avoided.
Look forward to pics and your reply.
Last edited by dth7; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:05 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Freaking love my Radion Pro. Just wish the wings were a little less flexible.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Freaking love my Radion Pro. Just wish the wings were a little less flexible.
See above list!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
There's a Mod Thread?
Yes the mod thread is right here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...646181&page=12

I'm going to gather up some pictures and post them to that thread in the next hour or so.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Radian crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
looks fixable to me!
Yep it is fixable but think I will just take off the useable parts and use them in a Guppy.
I was planning on giving it away anyway. Looking back I guess I should be angry but hey it gave me more fun than it cost.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633