HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,868 Posts
Hello tlar633

When you first connect the battery, you should get a single beep, followed by 3 lower beeps (indicating a 3-cell battery), and then after a few seconds a final set of 3 rising tones, which indicate the throttle is armed and ready to go. Is that what's happening?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
OK, Maiden a Radian Pro today for one of my friends at the field. Awesome as it just left his toss and screamed for altitude like an Eagle on afterburner. I reached a nice safe altitude and throttled back and set the trim at around 1/3rd throttle, two beeps of down and it was hands off for around 400'. Turning seemed to require just a tad of rudder input and flying the plane was like flying a dream machine. Finally after around 8 minutes time to land so I did my normal spiral to the altitude I felt was a good approach altitude. But, pulling out of the spiral I had to use full opposite aileron and full opposite rudder and a lot more up elevator than I felt comfortable with. My question is this the norm for this model when exiting a spiral as it seemed really excessive?

Landing was a piece of cake one of the best I ever made ending in an almost uneventful Maiden I felt really represented the quality of this model.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hello tlar633

When you first connect the battery, you should get a single beep, followed by 3 lower beeps (indicating a 3-cell battery), and then after a few seconds a final set of 3 rising tones, which indicate the throttle is armed and ready to go. Is that what's happening?
don't know about all the tones but it sounded like it always does. I will check tomorrow. There is a possibility some of my xmitter settings have changed as I had named this model "PRO" but noticed the LCD screen says MDL 2. Misplaced the manual but will figure out that possibility. I assume the full throttle end point should be 100% and throttle off should be 0 (mine was set to -77%)

Do you know what Amp controller came with this plane? I have a new 30A I could swap out.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:41 PM
SKSS Delaware AMA 1010092
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Jan 2013
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
don't know about all the tones but it sounded like it always does. I will check tomorrow. There is a possibility some of my xmitter settings have changed as I had named this model "PRO" but noticed the LCD screen says MDL 2. Misplaced the manual but will figure out that possibility. I assume the full throttle end point should be 100% and throttle off should be 0 (mine was set to -77%)

Do you know what Amp controller came with this plane? I have a new 30A I could swap out.
The first thing I would check is the settings in your radio, do you have a throttle cut-off switch set?
I had this happen a while back, I changed all my throttle cut-offs to the same switch on my DX7s for all my planes
After that I would check the signal wire from the RX to the ESC..
Little_Eddie is offline Find More Posts by Little_Eddie
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Do a search, you will find heaps of info plus go to Parkzone web site.
Found it thanks. I went to Horizon and didn't see the links. A friend sent me a different horizon link and I should be all set. Waiting for a new Rx.

Thanks, cheers.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:05 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:

Make sure your throttle trim is all the way at the bottom. Some of the ESCs need the range set so it knows where off is. It the ESC doesn't see "off" it won't arm (but the servos will work) You get the three rising tones when it arms
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Make sure your throttle trim is all the way at the bottom. Some of the ESCs need the range set so it knows where off is. It the ESC doesn't see "off" it won't arm (but the servos will work) You get the three rising tones when it arms
Throttle trim does not need to be at the bottom. There is no need to ever use throttle trim on an airplane so set it to neutral and forget it. You do need to calibrate the ESC, if you have not done so.

Remove the prop for safety.
Disconnect the battery from the ESC.
Turn on the transmitter.
Set throttle trim to neutral.
Push the throttle stick all the way forward.
Connect the battery to the ESC.
Wait for the beep tones to stop.
After the beeps pull the throttle stick all the way back.
The motor should then give the normal set of start-up beeps.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
I last flew my Radian Pro in October 2012. Set it in storage and was going to fly today. Topped off two batteries and decided to test before going to my flying field. All the servos work as programmed but the motor doesn't do anything. I tried both batteries with same result. Motor feel free with no hang-ups and the controller does not get warm. Any idea? (I vote for the controller but cannot imagine why this would happen...is there a fuse on the controller.) Frankly I don't want to spend any more money on this rather poor performer but am willing to troubleshoot more or else I will rob the airframe for servos, linkages etc and build a bubbles.

Found problem ....loose nut at the controls!! I had the wrong aircraft selected set it to aircraft 1 and all is well.
Thanks for all the input. I said I was going to build "bubbles" again I am getting old and should have said "Guppy"
I will be giving the Pro away with my 12 year old radio to a wanna be. It will be a good trainer for him even though its full house.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Found problem ....loose nut at the controls!! I had the wrong aircraft selected set it to aircraft 1 and all is well.
You managed to confuse the rest of us as well, with the fact that the servos were all working. This is not the best plane for a beginner, but with some help, he should do okay.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:50 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Throttle trim does not need to be at the bottom. There is no need to ever use throttle trim on an airplane so set it to neutral and forget it. You do need to calibrate the ESC, if you have not done so..............
I would agree with this. It needs to be done with every new ESC and it is IMHO something you repeat occasionally like rebinding. I did have a HK plane once which, even after doing a throttle calibration, seemed to default back to requiring the throttle trim all the way down. It was however the only ESC I had which did this and as I use HK planes as crash dummies the plane did not last very long. If anyone has a Castle Creation ESC, particularly the HV and ICE range they know you have to go through a throttle calibration using Tx endpoints to set the high and low throttle points.

PS Some ESC's do require you to enter programming mode to set throttle end point so check the ESC instructions.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Last edited by Watdazit; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muhkaydenz
...the elevator got messed up and I went to the local HS and found something that looked like it would work turned out I love it more than the stock elevator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Make/model # ?
Sorry it's a bit late but here you go I had to modify the plane just a little bit but it is awesome and feels a lot stronger.
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:27 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Hmmm, interesting, but what did you have to modify on the RP ?
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
hi guys.

weather has been really bad here on the south coast of england, today has been the first good day for flying the radian pro.

so i left the girlfriend at home for an hour while i went flying just for a bit till i got too cold.
i got to the beach and stepped out of the car, brrrrrrrrrr, it was still cold.

pulled the plane out of the car and rigged up slightly exited to get flying.

once all sorted i launched into the steady breeze and flew a few laps of the feild, slightly showing off for a family that stopped to watch when something caught my eye.....

i dont know how i missed it before, maybe it just never occured to me while flying rc, which is weird because i do it all the time in the full size gliders.

as i looked to my left, into the wind, there were several seagulls soaring in the breeze and marginal lift on the seafront.
well i didnt think it would be strong enough as the slope of the shingle beach is very shallow but i had to give it a go.

power on and into the wind i flew and as i joined the gulls i cut the power, flicked the camber and hovered there for an hour powerless amongst the birds.

reminded me what its all about and how much i missed it after flying a stryker all this time. i knew i was getting bored of the stryker, but never thought it worth buying a powered glider.

im so glad i did. from now on ill be looking for every possible sources of lift i can find.
love the challenge.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:38 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
power on and into the wind i flew and as i joined the gulls i cut the power, flicked the camber and hovered there for an hour powerless amongst the birds.

reminded me what its all about and how much i missed it after flying a stryker all this time. i knew i was getting bored of the stryker, but never thought it worth buying a powered glider.

im so glad i did. from now on ill be looking for every possible sources of lift i can find.
love the challenge.
Yep, it's always a great time. I can remember in the 1980s getting my half hour slope flight for one of my LSF levels and having a hawk come and join me for a good part of it and then trying to squeeze the second half hour flight in late in the season (12/3) and having it start to snow and finishing it in very heavy flurries laughing our butts off. And yes, my witnesses stuck it out
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Yep, it's always a great time. I can remember in the 1980s getting my half hour slope flight for one of my LSF levels and having a hawk come and join me for a good part of it and then trying to squeeze the second half hour flight in late in the season (12/3) and having it start to snow and finishing it in very heavy flurries laughing our butts off. And yes, my witnesses stuck it out
that happened to me in 2004. with my first glider at the local site. flew my middle phase in very strong winds. couldnt get it down, everyone laughed as i noticed a blizzard rolling in. half way through the sudden snow fall i managed a "arrival", ran and hid in some bushes till the storm blew itself out. 15 mins later the air was dead and the hill was covered in 3 inches of snow!
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23