HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Got my RP a couple of week ago and just making a couple of small changes. I have no experience in model mods or building so slowly does it. I plan to keep my radio and receiver on 35mHz which is very challenging as the receiver I have is proving to be a really tight fit. I need to make sure not to restrict the movement of the control arms. I am also putting in lead extension from the receiver to the wing joiners so there is no messing about trying to plug the wing leads into the very snug receiver. One question, is the box a suitable material to test different adhesives and paints on to see what is safe?

Happy flying
TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:07 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
One question, is the box a suitable material to test different adhesives and paints on to see what is safe?
Yes the box foam works well for that purpose, even though it is not exactly the same. Also, you can enlarge the receiver bay to make room for a larger receiver. Many people have done that. Have you had a chance to fly it yet?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
To those who are new to soaring, I suggest picking up Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg. Coreman recommended it to me. It's a fun read, and you'll learn a lot. It's the best 16 bucks I've spent in the hobby in a long time. I also suggest picking up Paul Naton's Secrets of Thermal Soaring, High Performance Thermal Soaring, and Performance Tuning For Sailplanes DVDs. Watch them a few times & you'll gain an in-depth understanding of how it all works - from the details of how the air behaves to the aircraft setup. You can get them here: http://www.radiocarbonart.com/catego...uctional-DVDs/

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
To those who are new to soaring, I suggest picking up Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg. Coreman recommended it to me. It's a fun read, and you'll learn a lot. It's the best 16 bucks I've spent in the hobby in a long time. I also suggest picking up Paul Naton's Secrets of Thermal Soaring, High Performance Thermal Soaring, and Performance Tuning For Sailplanes DVDs. Watch them a few times & you'll gain an in-depth understanding of how it all works - from the details of how the air behaves to the aircraft setup. You can get them here: http://www.radiocarbonart.com/catego...uctional-DVDs/

Joel
+1
I do love that book and if it makes you remember the concepts easier, it's well worth it.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Yes the box foam works well for that purpose, even though it is not exactly the same. Also, you can enlarge the receiver bay to make room for a larger receiver. Many people have done that. Have you had a chance to fly it yet?
Thanks for the reply, so to answer your questions..... I still can't get my receiver to fit, just spent the last two hours and I still not happy with it. I might just end up spending a little more and converting to 2.4mHz as the receivers seem to be much smaller. To get a plug in module for my radio would not be very expensive but it will have to wait to pay day. I don't want to start cutting to much away as I would think this might weaken the structure at the point where everything is situated. Unfortunately I have not had the weather to fly so far, lots of snow over here and I am a "fair weather" flyer but when I do I will be shouting it from the rooftops.......
TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2011
54 Posts
Hey Hobbit, I had the same issue with receiver installation just doesn't seem to be enough room. I am using the 6channel Orange RX 2.4 from Hobbyking with a Satalite extension. I had to put the receiver just forward of the servos free floats okay. The battery still fits nicely and doesn't affect the CG.

Mike
ColoradoFalcon is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoFalcon
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
Thanks Joel! I was actually about to ask which videos from this website would be the ones to get, guess now I don't have to.

What about the soaring master class, anyone seen those?
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:46 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
hey guys

my radian pro turned up today, got in from work for lunch, built it, bind it, set it up. its now in the car waiting for the end of work to fly it. i cant wait.

it has no mixes as yet and im not likily to do them until i swap my reciever for an 8ch one i have spare from my dx8 purchase.
i want to use it for the mixes like all moving ailerons/flaps then the rest like crow, reflex and camber.

i was also thinking about seting it up so that my trainer button was the throttle, ive bought this to be a self launch glider not a hotliner, and wanted to use the throttle stick as flap then crow braking as you bring it back.
also with the flaps coming down ill need the elevator to kick in and stop it ballooning.

does anyone know where to start to get these mixes to work?

otherwise i think im gonna be up all night trying to figure it out. if its even possible.

one more thing.

has anyone carried out the mods involving the tailplane angle adjustment and CoG movement as suggested by "Radio carbon art" in their youtube video?

how did it work out? is it a better flying sailplane? how does it effect the flying speeds, trim or control authority?

if there is a single post here somewhere that explains all this id love to be directed there. too many pages to filter through when i just wanna fly a great glider.

thanks in advance for your help.

russell
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
I bought JR11 XG to replace my old 9303 and transfer all my models but can't find RP setup with launch/land modes and motor function. Only as airplane setup.

Any body know how to setup RP with JR 11 to share?

Thanks
RichardMax is offline Find More Posts by RichardMax
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
Russell, I use a programmed flap-to-elevator mix.. It does not take very much elevator. I suggest using at 10 percent and do some trial flap deployments at a safe altitude until you get it dialed in.I have made the stabilizer mod that Paul Naton talks about and like the result but suggest that you hole off doing that until you get some flight time with the standard configuration because the mo makes the plane less stable in pitch. If you o it measure the difference betwee the wing and stab incidence angles (called decalage) before cutting foam. Not all Raians are exactly alike and if you cut too much the plane will be difficult to fly. In my case I cut only about 1/2 as much ad Paul did. Follow the old carpenter's rule - measure twice, cut once.

There is a long discussion of the decalage mod here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646181
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:40 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
hey guys

my radian pro turned up today, got in from work for lunch, built it, bind it, set it up. its now in the car waiting for the end of work to fly it. i cant wait.

it has no mixes as yet and im not likily to do them until i swap my reciever for an 8ch one i have spare from my dx8 purchase.
i want to use it for the mixes like all moving ailerons/flaps then the rest like crow, reflex and camber.

i was also thinking about seting it up so that my trainer button was the throttle, ive bought this to be a self launch glider not a hotliner, and wanted to use the throttle stick as flap then crow braking as you bring it back.
also with the flaps coming down ill need the elevator to kick in and stop it ballooning.

otherwise i think im gonna be up all night trying to figure it out. if its even possible.

one more thing.

has anyone carried out the mods involving the tailplane angle adjustment and CoG movement as suggested by "Radio carbon art" in their youtube video?

how did it work out? is it a better flying sailplane? how does it effect the flying speeds, trim or control authority?

if there is a single post here somewhere that explains all this id love to be directed there. too many pages to filter through when i just wanna fly a great glider.

russell
If you have a DX8, download Lizardman's RP setup. It works great, but the throttle is not on the trainer button, its on a switch. If the throttle cut is enabled, flaps and crow is on the throttle stick.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
If you have a DX8, download Lizardman's RP setup. It works great, but the throttle is not on the trainer button, its on a switch. If the throttle cut is enabled, flaps and crow is on the throttle stick.
that sounds good. where can i find lizardmans setup?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
hey guys

one more thing.

russell
Horizon Hobby publishes a set up for the DX8 for the RP. You can download it from the Radian Pro support site.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...pnp-PKZ5475#t6
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Russell, I use a programmed flap-to-elevator mix.. It does not take very much elevator. I suggest using at 10 percent and do some trial flap deployments at a safe altitude until you get it dialed in.I have made the stabilizer mod that Paul Naton talks about and like the result but suggest that you hole off doing that until you get some flight time with the standard configuration because the mo makes the plane less stable in pitch. If you o it measure the difference betwee the wing and stab incidence angles (called decalage) before cutting foam. Not all Raians are exactly alike and if you cut too much the plane will be difficult to fly. In my case I cut only about 1/2 as much ad Paul did. Follow the old carpenter's rule - measure twice, cut once.

There is a long discussion of the decalage mod here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646181

cheers for your speedy reply. ill hold off on the stab mod for a bit then. im sure i could handle it a bit more pitchy, dial down the throws etc.

modded my bros radian as he wanted flaperons. had loads of time on that before the mod so this will be a step up. i just like the radian so much i needed a self launch glider in my life.
my 3mtr condor doesnt get flown much since i got my 4mtr ask21, and that only get flown in the best weather or on aerotow situations.

so the RP will fill the void of not having a local tug or close by hill.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Horizon Hobby publishes a set up for the DX8 for the RP. You can download it from the Radian Pro support site.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...pnp-PKZ5475#t6
cheers for that. i did find that but wasnt sure of its setup details. guess it could still be a good starting point