SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
@Coreman... I know you will be doing some prop tests. In the meantime, having no life and having bad weather, I did a quick test on 3 Graupner CAM props using the same LiPo ( recharged between tests ), Turnigy Super Brain ESC to get data log, Soaring Circuits CAM ALES limiter to run 30 second WOT, PKZ 960kv factory motor and a 50 mm aluminium spinner.
Actually, I have done similar tests to yours on all the props I have. I have a scale now that I can do static thrust measurements with and I have a GPS frob that I can do actual climb rate tests with. I saw pretty significant differences between the different 11x8 props I tested also but feel that while the 10x8 and 11x8 are similar amp draws, the 11" props SHOULD (not measured yet) have more thrust. Spring will tell. I know the 11x8 that had the best current numbers visually outperformed the stock prop just in raw angle of climbout (I took it flying for my last weekend) and since my "limiter" was simply my eyesight, I did see much quicker climbs to my comfortable altitude.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
I think I got into my first thermal today. Took the RP out at lunch, had 3 batteries charged up and it turned out I only used 1. I had the plane in the air for 47 minutes with only 2 climb outs. After my initial launch I got into a spot over the field where I noticed I wasn't losing altitude, wasn't gaining that much it just kind of stayed at the same level for a while. A gust of wind knocked me out of it and I came down to about 20ft and hit the motor again. Same thing in the same spot. I kept circling but staying at the same altitude. Had a few big buzzards join in, It was great!

Then I decided to bring it down to check my time and voltage. At about 10ft I accidentally tried turning with aileron instead of rudder and stalled it. Dang it, the nose went into the dirt, crunched in the front and cracked the fuse a bit. Nothing that's not an easy repair. Figures it would happen though with 3 cars pulled into watch lol. Oh well it was a great flight overall and my ending voltage was 11.9v.

I think when I straighten the nose back out I'm going to put a couple of short pieces of 2mm CF Rod in the foam for added strength. Now I know what the addiction is about finding thermals!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Putting together a charge/fpv station let me know what you guys think thanks!
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
WOW, when I grow up and get into FPV I'd wanna look just like that!!!

That looks sweet!! Neat and compact!! You using goggles as well or just the monitor?

Nice job!! Can't wait to see your vids!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:51 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Saw some other stations and decided to change it up a bit lol I plan on putting a bi quad on the back with a hinge so it can be pointed up at the plane and looking into some coverings to make it look cleaner this is just some first attempts thanks!
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:53 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muhkaydenz View Post
Saw some other stations and decided to change it up a bit lol I plan on putting a bi quad on the back with a hinge so it can be pointed up at the plane and looking into some coverings to make it look cleaner this is just some first attempts thanks!
Very sweet looking
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:27 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
300 Posts
Just want to compare how mine weighs compared to other folks'.
Weighed with after market CF spar.

How much does your RP weigh in at ?
No battery = 960g
1250 battery = 1060g
2200 battery = 1134g

thanks,

Paul
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Last edited by Patchitagain; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
I think I got into my first thermal today. Took the RP out at lunch, had 3 batteries charged up and it turned out I only used 1. I had the plane in the air for 47 minutes with only 2 climb outs. After my initial launch I got into a spot over the field where I noticed I wasn't losing altitude, wasn't gaining that much it just kind of stayed at the same level for a while. A gust of wind knocked me out of it and I came down to about 20ft and hit the motor again. Same thing in the same spot. I kept circling but staying at the same altitude. Had a few big buzzards join in, It was great!

Then I decided to bring it down to check my time and voltage. At about 10ft I accidentally tried turning with aileron instead of rudder and stalled it. Dang it, the nose went into the dirt, crunched in the front and cracked the fuse a bit. Nothing that's not an easy repair. Figures it would happen though with 3 cars pulled into watch lol. Oh well it was a great flight overall and my ending voltage was 11.9v.

I think when I straighten the nose back out I'm going to put a couple of short pieces of 2mm CF Rod in the foam for added strength. Now I know what the addiction is about finding thermals!
Welcome to Thermal Duration flying, it can be worse than Crack cocane!!!
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:04 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
I am operating under the assumption that it is better than crack cocaine. If it turns out that is not true, I will need to re-assess my addiction profile.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Thanks, yes I see that. It's funny though that my vision of where I wanted to go with this hobby has really made a u-turn since I got the RP. Before I wanted the fastest plane I could build with a ridiculous amount of wattage being produced not caring if my flights were cut down to 2 minutes because of the power system.

Now I want the slowest floater I can find and keep it in the air as long as possible trying not to even use the motor. It's starting to make me wonder if I even want a motor on my next plane. Maybe just a hi-start will do me just fine. I've been reading about that and seeing pictures of guys relaxing back in a reclining chair, enjoying the weather and watching their plane cruise around making friends with the birds . That's where I want to be.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:34 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
It's a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Remember the sunblock! The motor is just so much easier than the highstart. minimal setup and with crow, you can fly in and out of much smaller fields. A stopwatch is the only competitor you need. But "a new personal best" is a harsh mistress!

Quote:
Thanks, yes I see that. It's funny though that my vision of where I wanted to go with this hobby has really made a u-turn since I got the RP. Before I wanted the fastest plane I could build with a ridiculous amount of wattage being produced not caring if my flights were cut down to 2 minutes because of the power system.

Now I want the slowest floater I can find and keep it in the air as long as possible trying not to even use the motor. It's starting to make me wonder if I even want a motor on my next plane. Maybe just a hi-start will do me just fine. I've been reading about that and seeing pictures of guys relaxing back in a reclining chair, enjoying the weather and watching their plane cruise around making friends with the birds . That's where I want to be.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Now I want the slowest floater I can find and keep it in the air as long as possible trying not to even use the motor.
If you get a chance to try out a standard RE Radian, you will get even more of the above = slower = more floater etc.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:51 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:

For me I have been in the hobby now for over 40 years, of course back then nitro was about your only option, and I never would have even given the thought of flying a glider more than a heartbeats time. I flew pattern for many years and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit, then the electrics started appearing. Didn't think much of it in the begining as packs were expensive and of course the variety was small. As it grew I got an EZ glider and of course souped it up and flew it more like a plane on steriods than a glider, then I was introduced to a field that was electric only and how to look for thermals. That was it, almost all of my RC interest went there, I still fly hot rods now and then, I think its good for the fingers and the rush. No matter what a 150+mph beast is a rush. I build and sell a 3D epp plane that is simply put, a blast as well But as I have progressed with gliders I'm now in to DLG's as well. That to was a segment of this hobby I would have never thought of doing and now I watch the sky and the air no matter where I am when ever I can, wishing I had a plane up right now!. I'm addicted

sorry for off topic comments, back to regular programing
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:57 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
BTW this is a thread I started last year thats not to long that you might find of use. It's a disscusion for newer pilots on Electric saiplane flying. It's been quiet and thats ok, I think what it contains is about all that it needs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371863

cheers!