SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
Teterboro Tower-Piper 202
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
When I put her in a 45 degree dive from altitude, it holds that line perfectly for around a hundred feet or so, then the angle starts getting steeper. Is that an indication of noes, or tail heavy?
The "diver" CG testers would say tail heavy although you are close. However, read Gordy Stahl's article on testing by his method. He refines CG adjustment a little further...http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/?page_id=498. There may be other references in this thread by Gordy but I could find this one faster.
Dave F
>< *>
got-one is offline Find More Posts by got-one
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Dive test is a can of worms, there are many opinions , especially on this forum, but if you want to read what the top fliers have to say on this topic, go to this forum and do some reading. Very interesting discussion by the US best glider pilots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766381

It starts a bit slow but then Gordysoar, Daryl Perkins, Tom Kiesling and other 'who is who' in soaring get involved in this one. Very cool.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-one View Post
The "diver" CG testers would say tail heavy although you are close. However, read Gordy Stahl's article on testing by his method. He refines CG adjustment a little further...http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/?page_id=498. There may be other references in this thread by Gordy but I could find this one faster.
Dave F
>< *>
That makes sense to me. As soon as our weather improves . . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:42 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Dive test is a can of worms, there are many opinions , especially on this forum, but if you want to read what the top fliers have to say on this topic, go to this forum and do some reading. Very interesting discussion by the US best glider pilots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766381

It starts a bit slow but then Gordysoar, Daryl Perkins, Tom Kiesling and other 'who is who' in soaring get involved in this one. Very cool.
Dan
By diving you are passing more air over the tail so you get to see if there is some deflection holding the nose up or down. That is all the dive test really indicates, that your trims are set to compensate for a poor balance. Likewise under power (remember, the dive test on a GLIDER causes you to react to the speed change) the plane will react the same way as in the dive test and your nose will pull up or down based on the trim. If your plane pulls up under power, you are trimmed with some up elevator and nose heavy. If you leveled the elevator and tossed it, you would find the nose drop due to the nose weight so you would add up elevator to get a flat glide. put on the throttle and that up elevator will make you climb. Do the dive test and that up elevator will cause it to pull out. They are all telling you the same thing. if you have everything 0-0-0 then toss it and it drops the nose (not stalls and drops mind you) then add some tail weight instead of up elevator and try again. When you get it to glide smooth with no elevator/stab change, it will fly the same with power too.

And as for the CG on the plans? That is to get the plane to fly stable for 80% of the pilots.it's not for the plane to fly optimally, just manageably by most. And it has a huge range around it that would be acceptable. This is the difference between "flies" and "flies well"
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
videos from today

Here's the footage I got today, the first video was recorded from my 808 camera on my hat. It turned out better than the last video as I purposefully tried to keep the plane lower and visible. Nothing exciting, just slowly gliding around.

Parkzone Radian Pro 01-06-13 808 #16 keychain cam (10 min 56 sec)

This was my first video having the 808 mounted to the fuse. This is the one that get's interesting right before 7 minutes as I have the hard decent under power and almost clip the top of some trees. I think there might be a loop somewhere in there too.

Parkzone Radian Pro 808 #16 keychain camera 01-06-13 (11 min 7 sec)

This last video ended in a tree, but no damage. I did notice a few minutes ago the front cowl/firewall was pushed in just a little and the canopy over hangs it by maybe 1/16 inch at most. I would use the hot water trick to pull it back out, but I don't really want the alligator skin it gives the foam. hopefully I will figure something out. I pulled everything off the front to check for cracks, none found anywhere. Seems like all the packing tape reinforcements did the trick!

Parkzone Radian Pro tree landing 808 #16 keychain camera 01-06-13 (4 min 3 sec)
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Hi all,
I would like to say thanks for all the use full info in this thread.
I am a first time flyer who went with the radian pro + dx6i combo. Took my baby out for landing practice on Sunday (too close to airport to go too high) I also tested attaching my go pro but I may have it a little too far forwards... (Mounted on canopy)
Here is my #9, #10 landings .. Got a little to wet in end. Can't wait to soar!
Parkzone Radian Pro - 1st flight Landing practice with Gopro (1 min 41 sec)
ktuluz is offline Find More Posts by ktuluz
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:34 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post

This was my first video having the 808 mounted to the fuse. This is the one that get's interesting right before 7 minutes as I have the hard decent under power and almost clip the top of some trees. I think there might be a loop somewhere in there too.
Loop at 1:48. You have such a nice open area to fly in, why get behind the trees? I didn't see any tail boom flex or twist in the part I watched. The launch climbout seemed pretty straight. and for "motoring around", nothing says you need to use full throttle. In watching for flex, I did see a lot of vibration under power and wonder if you have an unbalanced prop. Balancing a folding prop can be tricky. If you can hear/feel the vibration in your hand under power, you can put strips of scotch tape on one blade and see if it is better or worse and either swap blades with the tape or add until it get worse again and then take the last piece off
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Loop at 1:48. You have such a nice open area to fly in, why get behind the trees? I didn't see any tail boom flex or twist in the part I watched. The launch climbout seemed pretty straight. and for "motoring around", nothing says you need to use full throttle. In watching for flex, I did see a lot of vibration under power and wonder if you have an unbalanced prop. Balancing a folding prop can be tricky. If you can hear/feel the vibration in your hand under power, you can put strips of scotch tape on one blade and see if it is better or worse and either swap blades with the tape or add until it get worse again and then take the last piece off
I think sometimes I end up behind the trees because I'm still a noob lol. I'm getting better with it though. As far as flex there shouldn't be any now because I put a carbon arrow shaft in the tail boom a couple weeks ago, it really helped a lot. The winds were calm yesterday so I had no problems on climb out or gliding. It flew great, the only reason I landed it 3-4 of the times was just to reset my camera so I wouldn't have too long of a video, and to practice landing.

I did notice the vibration though. Never thought about it until I seen the video because I don't feel any vibration in my hand when launching it. From what I could tell though, it seems like the worst visible vibration was on the back of the wings right next to the fuse. If the whole plane was vibrating the camera wouldn't the entire screen be just as shaky? I was hoping it was just capturing the rapid airflow over the wings from the prop. I will try some tape on the prop and see what happens.

I also seen a trick with using a laser pointer and watching the dot shake on the wall. Apply tape, if the dot shakes worse, put the tape on the other blade, trying to make the dot as smoothe as possible.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:03 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
This last video ended in a tree, but no damage. I did notice a few minutes ago the front cowl/firewall was pushed in just a little and the canopy over hangs it by maybe 1/16 inch at most.
Nice video, campbellj. Those of us who live on the frozen tundra really appreciate seeing some green grass and liquid water.

It's kind of like the single obstacle syndrome - if there is an obstacle on the flying field somewhere, whether it's a tree, a light pole, a car, or even you - eventually - you will smack straight into it. Happens every time.

I especially like how - after it hits the tree and ends up on the ground - you deploy the flaps. Nice touch.

--
Greg

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Nice video, campbellj. Those of us who live on the frozen tundra really appreciate seeing some green grass and liquid water.

It's kind of like the single obstacle syndrome - if there is an obstacle on the flying field somewhere, whether it's a tree, a light pole, a car, or even you - eventually - you will smack straight into it. Happens every time.

I especially like how - after it hits the tree and ends up on the ground - you deploy the flaps. Nice touch.

--
Greg

--
Greg
Yea those trees, haha they always end up in my way for some reason. I did notice a couple other flights though it was easier to stay away from them if I stood in the middle of the field. Something about having them close behind me, I always get into my flying and forget they are there until I turn around.

And yes the flaps turned out to be one of the "too late for those" type things lol. They are actually programmed to my throttle stick when the motor kill switch is activated. So when it hit the ground I moved the throttle all the way down to hold it with my thumb as I always do when the plane has landed, and they dropped. But I agree it made a nice touch lol
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:30 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
With belly landers it is best to retract the flaps before touching down to save wear and tear. I know that didn't apply to this particular situation, but it's a good habit to get into. If there is lots of room and a bit of wind, I don't use the flaps at all. If room is tight or I'm coming in too high, I use them just to get back on line and then retract them. The plane lands more smoothly without the flaps because it's not coming down so hard.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Still doing some small modifications to my new Pro such as taping up the leading edges, adding some support tape around the hinge areas and cleaning up the control rods and guide tubes. Looking at the elevator clevis it does not naturally line up so when I connect it the control rod has to bend slightly. This will put some additional resistance on the movement so I wanted to know if I should move the control horn over 1/2 an inch to meet the clevis.

TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
Still doing some small modifications to my new Pro such as taping up the leading edges, adding some support tape around the hinge areas and cleaning up the control rods and guide tubes. Looking at the elevator clevis it does not naturally line up so when I connect it the control rod has to bend slightly. This will put some additional resistance on the movement so I wanted to know if I should move the control horn over 1/2 an inch to meet the clevis.

I haven't done that mod yet, but I know a lot of people does, so go for it
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:21 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Yes it's easy to move the control horn to a better location. While you are at it you can make the elevator more effective with this, from the mod thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1646181&page=2

The picture was taken before the horn was moved, but you get the idea.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx