SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGROS View Post
Have two sets of spinner/props, one came with a Radian Pro and the other was bought has a reserve.

Decide to check the prop/spinner sets and here is what I found:

As you can see, the spinner seems to be the problem, holding the half props at a different angle.
Your static photos do not ell the correct story because as RA said the spinner's job is not to hold the prop at the correct angle. Centrifugal force does that, unless of course the deployment is stopped prematurely by the spinner or other obstruction. Have you tried swapping the blades from one spinner to the other?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:06 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The best stuff I've found for foam repair is UHU por. Haven't tried it on this plane, but the stuff works wonders on my UM & UMX foamies.
Joel
That is amazing stuff for sure. I got a tube of it with an EPP plane kit, and still have half of the tube left. It is still flexible when it dries, so I use it in places where epoxy or GG would be too brittle (such as on depron). The fumes are pretty toxic. Normally I use 5 min epoxy for small jobs and GG for larger ones.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Even in a normal urban area, the average space between each person (outdoors) is quite large in relation to the amount of space a person occupies. The odds of hitting someone in a crash is not so great. The odds go up when flying near highly traveled roads, where a plane crashing in the road might cause an auto accident. The odds go up greatly where a large number of people are congregated, such as at a football game.

I think so long as you stay away from freeways and crowded events the odds of hitting someone are not so high. Slower flying aircraft like the Radian and RP are probably also less dangerous than high speed models that cover a lot of ground in a short period. The larger wingspan does slightly increase the odds of hitting people or objects when landing (like light posts) as many of us can attest.

Naturally, the safest bet is to fly over a large field where there are no people.
Related to this -- just in case you didn't see this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799578 (RC glider kills spectator)

Extremely sad that this happened.
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:51 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The best stuff I've found for foam repair is UHU por. Haven't tried it on this plane, but the stuff works wonders on my UM & UMX foamies.
Joel
UHU is good but Beacons Foam Tac is even better. It is specially formulated for RC modlers. There is a thread or two about it in the Scratchbuilt Foamies forum. To apply you just put it on one side of the pieces to be glued press together, pull apart for a few seconds and put back together. It grabs much quicker than UHU but still gives you enough work time.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Just a quick question for those with the pro. I have not flown mine yet as a few alterations to make and waiting for decent weather, but reading the forum, one of the main observations seems to be the massive increase in climb rate when the motor is applied. My question, can a mix be set up to input a little down elevator as the motor is increased. I guess this probably depends on the Radio but just wondered if it was possible?
TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
Just a quick question for those with the pro. I have not flown mine yet as a few alterations to make and waiting for decent weather, but reading the forum, one of the main observations seems to be the massive increase in climb rate when the motor is applied. My question, can a mix be set up to input a little down elevator as the motor is increased. I guess this probably depends on the Radio but just wondered if it was possible?
Yes. I have done this for my Radian, but my RP doesn't have this characteristic. I would fly it first and see if you really need it and if so, how much.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,916 Posts
Quote:

I've never had that be a problem yet perhaps because when I am applying the motor for the most part I am climbing. On a rare occasion I feather the motor on a downwind turn to keep from tip stalling the RP. I prefer to keep from using the motor at all when gliding down from an assent and to fly it as if once it is up there and coming down it is simply a glider. Congrats on the aquisition of an RP there I love mine and welcome the break from the fast pace of my Warbirds and the precision demands of my 3D Foamy.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:59 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
Yes. I have done this for my Radian, but my RP doesn't have this characteristic. I would fly it first and see if you really need it and if so, how much.
+1 Mine climbs and flies straight regardless of power settings with no mixes. But yes, many radios would allow for a throttle to elevator mix
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
Any transmitter with programmable mixes can be set up with throttle as the master and elevator as the slave. With the right percentage coupling, a plane can be set up to climb at a constant angle at almost any throttle setting. I think that the 6e has programmable mixes.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,171 Posts
Quote:
What I like to do, is let mixes take care of the hard stuff, while I do the easy stuff manually. Having a Flap-to Elevator mix is a godsend. Once you get it set right (trial and error is the only way) it is so great to be able to deploy flaps and have the elevator do the right thing.

As far as Aileron-to-Rudder, or Throttle-to-elevator, I would much rather do those manually. If your sailplane is trimmed to glide properly, it can't help but go up when throttle is applied. That's what we want it to do.

Since you have some time waiting for weather, hopefully you have removed that sticky black stuff from the push-rods. IMO, that is the only must-do mod for the Radian Pro.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
+1 Mine climbs and flies straight regardless of power settings with no mixes. But yes, many radios would allow for a throttle to elevator mix
Same here. After balancing & trimming, mine had little, if any throttle-pitch coupling.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Thank you for the reassurance, the high climb rate must have been something I read on the original Radian and not the Pro. "Black sticky Stuff" is this something I need to know more about? I just had a look at the control rods and I am unsure how they are removed. I guess I release the end attached to the control horn and unscrew the cleat. Remove the control arm from the servo and pull the rod through. Is there a good way of cleaning out the control rod tubes to ensure that anything that might interfere with the movement is removed
TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:49 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,171 Posts
Yes you remove the clevises from the rear end first. You can't remove the rod from the servo arm at the front without removing the servo arm from the servo. Take out the screw and pull the arm up off the servo. There is no need to actually pull the control rod from the servo arm.

Then move the control rod back and forth and you can feel there is a lot of resistance that that makes the servos work harder than they should. Pull out the rods and sand the black stuff off and then reinsert them and you can feel how much easier they move. Time well spent.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:07 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
I got about 1.5 hours flight time in today with my RP. It flew amazing, hardly any wind to deal with at all. I feel like today I actually took control of the plane instead of reacting to it. (Most of the time) It ended though when I glided into a tree and came nose down. Totally my fault making too wide of a turn and forgetting the trees were behind me, lol. i did get it on video. Fortunately nothing broke or warped. It's still in one piece!

I have came to the conclusion that flying this plane under power I hate. Seems that's always when I get into trouble. Only had one instance today, but I was climbing and it went into some low clouds and it took a dive. I saved it but it almost went into the tree tops at full speed. I couldn't think quick enough to cut the power switch, but I finally did and continued my graceful flight. I got that on video too lol. I am planning to upload the videos later, 1 was on my hat, the other 2 were on board.

I can't say the same went for my T-28 today. It is destroyed, I might get the servos, pushrods and control horns from it and that's about it. Maybe the motor and esc, I need to investigate those more. On its 3rd flight I lost all power up high and it came down uncontrolled. I have no clue why I lost power, Oh well I like my RP better! Now I got some spare parts for it! And if the motor and esc are still good, they were upgraded from stock and happen to be the perfect size for an eflite mystique.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:43 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Hey all. Quick question. I have been flying (and loving) this thing for over 6 months now and I still can't believe how much fun it is. I have read a lot here and here http://www.radian-pro.com/
I have been playing around the last few days trying to find my "perfect CG". I am close. Now the question. When I put her in a 45 degree dive from altitude, it holds that line perfectly for around a hundred feet or so, then the angle starts getting steeper. Is that an indication of noes, or tail heavy?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve