to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:10 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
What do you all think is the closest to the RP on Phoenix 4? I've been flying the thermal glider. Also is the RP on RC Desk Pilot anywhere near the real thing? I'm thinking about downloading it.
The forum won't let me attach that type of file. You can go to the Knifedge website and under Swap Pages download the various aircraft. I think the basic Radian file is in the RF 4.5 folder.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
68 Posts
Radian Pro finally in my possession so just need charger, battery and the ability to programme my radio. Have the offer of some help with the radio so not in a state of panic just yet .

TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:41 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microraver View Post
I'm still wondering about the legality of flying over urban areas...
That is the question of the decade, and is something that I ponder over every day. For a long time I have been meaning to start a thread on this important subject and your post prompted me to finally do it. It started at noon yesterday and there have already been 36 replies, so obviously there are many people interested to know the answer to that question.

There are several people on the Radian and Radian Pro threads who regularly post videos of flying high over a city. That means they (we) are flying over buildings, roads, cars, and people. If something goes wrong, there could be trouble. Also, every day hundreds of planes filled with people fly over the city of Vancouver. If anything goes wrong, there will be big trouble. Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801116

Although this is important for all types of model planes, it is particularly applicable to the Radian and RP threads. These are the two planes that are the most likely to be found flying high over populated areas, and encroaching into airspaces that go beyond the confines of the park they were launched from.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy View Post
How about shoe goo or just plain silicone
Will either one damage the foam on the R.P.
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy View Post
Will either one damage the foam on the R.P.
I recently glued the wing on my parkzone T-28 using white bathroom adhesive from Home Depot without any problems what so ever. I know it's not the same plane, but it's the same foam. And since its white it blends right in. I'm pretty sure it's what parkzone uses to glue servos in and such.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
And depending what your gluing, white gorilla glue works well and you can also use CA on z-foam. I use foam safe CA though.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:27 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
That is the question of the decade, and is something that I ponder over every day. For a long time I have been meaning to start a thread on this important subject and your post prompted me to finally do it. It started at noon yesterday and there have already been 36 replies, so obviously there are many people interested to know the answer to that question.

There are several people on the Radian and Radian Pro threads who regularly post videos of flying high over a city. That means they (we) are flying over buildings, roads, cars, and people. If something goes wrong, there could be trouble. Also, every day hundreds of planes filled with people fly over the city of Vancouver. If anything goes wrong, there will be big trouble. Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801116

Although this is important for all types of model planes, it is particularly applicable to the Radian and RP threads. These are the two planes that are the most likely to be found flying high over populated areas, and encroaching into airspaces that go beyond the confines of the park they were launched from.
Even in a normal urban area, the average space between each person (outdoors) is quite large in relation to the amount of space a person occupies. The odds of hitting someone in a crash is not so great. The odds go up when flying near highly traveled roads, where a plane crashing in the road might cause an auto accident. The odds go up greatly where a large number of people are congregated, such as at a football game.

I think so long as you stay away from freeways and crowded events the odds of hitting someone are not so high. Slower flying aircraft like the Radian and RP are probably also less dangerous than high speed models that cover a lot of ground in a short period. The larger wingspan does slightly increase the odds of hitting people or objects when landing (like light posts) as many of us can attest.

Naturally, the safest bet is to fly over a large field where there are no people.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:48 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
And depending what your gluing, white gorilla glue works well and you can also use CA on z-foam. I use foam safe CA though.
I'll go with the bath silicone cause I already have some, I dug out a groove at the root so I could shorten the servo leads a bit.
Thanks for the advice
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:20 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
I recently glued the wing on my parkzone T-28 using white bathroom adhesive from Home Depot without any problems what so ever. I know it's not the same plane, but it's the same foam. And since its white it blends right in. I'm pretty sure it's what parkzone uses to glue servos in and such.
and I know it works on the RP as I reglued my wing servos with it, but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to do structural repairs. White gorilla glue should work fine though
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
and I know it works on the RP as I reglued my wing servos with it, but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to do structural repairs. White gorilla glue should work fine though
True, GG is way better for structural repairs. I still used the wing mounting pins and screw, just added the silicone for added strength and the fact that I could get the wing back off if needed in the future.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
True, GG is way better for structural repairs. I still used the wing mounting pins and screw, just added the silicone for added strength and the fact that I could get the wing back off if needed in the future.
I like GG for foam repairs as it forces itself back into the foam bead matrix and you can easily keep it flat on the surface with a strip of blue painters tape while it expands/foams
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:05 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
The best stuff I've found for foam repair is UHU por. Haven't tried it on this plane, but the stuff works wonders on my UM & UMX foamies.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Anyone know a way to wipe GG from your hands? For such simple glue it sure wants to make a mess if your not careful. I do use blue painters tape though to seal it in The seams. That works great
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know a way to wipe GG from your hands? For such simple glue it sure wants to make a mess if your not careful. I do use blue painters tape though to seal it in The seams. That works great
I have successfully used butyrate dope thinner and acetone for cleaning off skin. Neither of which is a great skin product.
RCG Plus Member