HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
I get about 6 launches of 30 seconds each, to about 600 feet on a turnigy 1300 ma 25-50c battery. I have the 11X6 aeronaut prop and turbo spinner mod.

I keep 6 batteries. Cheap as dirt at less than $10.00 each.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I get about 6 launches of 30 seconds each, to about 600 feet on a turnigy 1300 ma 25-50c battery. I have the 11X6 aeronaut prop and turbo spinner mod.

I keep 6 batteries. Cheap as dirt at less than $10.00 each.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
+1

I use GensAce 1300s. Also about $10 each and I use them on other models so I have lots (18 I think) so I just go and fly. I am using an 11x8 prop on the HK spinner and if I climbed for 30 seconds, I would be OOS. I climb to where it is easy to see the plane and then climb again. I was regularly getting 25-30 minutes of flying in reasonably dead air while verifying my crow mix ins, so wasting climbouts
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,056 Posts
I've been ordering from Value Hobbies, cheap as Hobby king but less on shipping.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-30c-lipo.html
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I've been ordering from Value Hobbies, cheap as Hobby king but less on shipping.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-30c-lipo.html
yep, GForce batteries are good when he has them in stock. HobbyPartz is west coast and for a minimum order, shipping is free (used to be $50, seems to be $100 now) and then I also check Hobby King USA. Who ever has the stock when I'm about to pull the trigger
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
2 flights in today cut very short. I only had 7-8mph winds and keeping my RP in the air was very hard and frustrating. I was actually trying to make rudder turns and my rudder seemed to do nothing. I did turn the mix off with the rudder/aileron and it seemed to help. I made a video from my 808 camera on my hat, I was hoping for some guidance as to what I am doing wrong, but it's just too hard to see the plane with the cloud coverage and the distance away it gets. I got too close to the ground in my first flight and landed on the other side of the field which at first I thought was in the canal. Luckily it stayed on the grass and didn't get wet. My second flight all the sudden came in way too hot, close to the ground and took a dive, by complete dumb luck I rolled out of it a couple feet from the grass and saved it. I figured it wasn't my day to fly so I packed it up and went home before my luck ran dry.

Like I said I know it is almost impossible to see the plane in most of the video, but for the few seconds that you actually can see the plane can you all see anything I might be doing wrong? I'm determined to learn how to fly this thing. Right around 37 seconds, it stalls and falls. it does this all the time during flight and that's one thing I'm trying to figure out why.

Next time I go I am going to try and figure out a way to get better video.

Parkzone Radian Pro, 808 Keychain cam test. (3 min 11 sec)
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,715 Posts
I don't see that you did anything seriously wrong in that video. The nose dropped just after launching and you pulled it up OK and seemed to be in control. Then at the 37 second mark it looks like you cut the power and the nose dropped and that is normal. Then you couldn't see much until the very end where it looked like a decent landing.

If it is continuously stalling and falling (which you couldn't see in the vid, that would mean the CG was too far back, or you are trying to fly too slow) Which way was the wind blowing...in your face or at your back?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:30 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
2 flights in today cut very short. I only had 7-8mph winds and keeping my RP in the air was very hard and frustrating. I was actually trying to make rudder turns and my rudder seemed to do nothing. I did turn the mix off with the rudder/aileron and it seemed to help.....

https://vimeo.com/56607059
The rudder was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, which is yaw the airplane. The RP has a very flat wing, which means no dihedral or polyhedral, or upswept wing tips to bank the plane once the rudder has yawed it. Give it full rudder, and it just cruises merrily along at a jaunty angle looking kind of silly. In order to turn the plane, you're going to have to bank it, using the ailerons.

Pylon racers and slope sailplanes don't even have rudders, as the most efficient (fastest) way to turn is the 'bank and yank'. While the RP might eventually come around 360 degrees with the wing completely parallel to the horizon (using rudder only), that turn radius is going to be huge.

In your video, it was hard to tell which pixel was the RP, so I can't comment on your flying. But if the c/g is correct, and you're not flying on the verge of a stall all the time or in a nose-down semi-dive all the time, the glide ratio of the RP is quite nice, you should be able to stay up for minutes in no lift conditions. See your doctor for a flight lasting longer than 4 hours.

The wind speed is irrelevant to the glide ratio of the RP, it's just flying along in a river of air. Whether that river is the Mississippi, or a whitewater rafting river, the RP still has to fly at the same speed through it.

Don't give up on the RP, keep it flying and you'll be fine.

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:38 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,533 Posts
I recently downloaded a Radian from the Knifedge website to my RealFlight 6.5 sim. Does anyone else have this. I would like to know if the sim Radian handles like the real one?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:39 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
The rudder was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, which is yaw the airplane. The RP has a very flat wing, which means no dihedral or polyhedral, or upswept wing tips to bank the plane once the rudder has yawed it. Give it full rudder, and it just cruises merrily along at a jaunty angle looking kind of silly. In order to turn the plane, you're going to have to bank it, using the ailerons.

Pylon racers and slope sailplanes don't even have rudders, as the most efficient (fastest) way to turn is the 'bank and yank'. While the RP might eventually come around 360 degrees with the wing completely parallel to the horizon (using rudder only), that turn radius is going to be huge.

In your video, it was hard to tell which pixel was the RP, so I can't comment on your flying. But if the c/g is correct, and you're not flying on the verge of a stall all the time or in a nose-down semi-dive all the time, the glide ratio of the RP is quite nice, you should be able to stay up for minutes in no lift conditions. See your doctor for a flight lasting longer than 4 hours.

The wind speed is irrelevant to the glide ratio of the RP, it's just flying along in a river of air. Whether that river is the Mississippi, or a whitewater rafting river, the RP still has to fly at the same speed through it.

Don't give up on the RP, keep it flying and you'll be fine.

--
Greg
I agree, the rudder alone does not do much to turn the plane. It might help skilled users perform coordinated turns, keeping the nose level with the horizon. Bank and yank works fine with this plane.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Wasn't that much wind at all when I launched it during that video. Then it picked up and started coming from behind me. The second flight I walked to the other side of that field so I could launch into the wind. I had also installed a 2100mah battery for the second flight to see if that helped anything. Honestly I didn't notice a huge difference.

At the end of the second flight I was using ailerons to turn it and it came by really fast angled toward the ground. I thought for sure it was a goner and would have been if it impacted. My dumb thumbs happen to roll it out right before and saved it. Even with the little wind going on it seemed very twitchy in the air and would kind of do what it wanted when a gust would hit it. I am sure flying slow had a lot to do with it though.

I will eventually learn this plane...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:10 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
I will eventually learn this plane...
You will for sure. Now that you've had a couple of flights that ended well it should get easier and easier. Just remember to always keep the wind in your face so you never have to struggle to bring it back towards you against the wind. It doesn't matter whether you use rudder or not, as long as you avoid steeply banked turns when close to the ground.

It also helps to fly higher to get away from the gusts and into a more steady wind. Once you get below tree-top level, the gusts can make this plane do crazy things.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I recently downloaded a Radian from the Knifedge website to my RealFlight 6.5 sim. Does anyone else have this. I would like to know if the sim Radian handles like the real one?
I don't have it yet, but if you give me a link to the file, I will download it and test it. I have RealFlight 5.5
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
What do you all think is the closest to the RP on Phoenix 4? I've been flying the thermal glider. Also is the RP on RC Desk Pilot anywhere near the real thing? I'm thinking about downloading it.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
nevermind, I downloaded RC Desk Pilot, it works but I can't get the Radian zip file to work with it. I'm horribly computer illiterate, lol. I'll just stick with phoenix