HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Well with the switch at 0 there is no mix, position 1 and 2 is rudder aileron mix. No change between 1 and 2. It could probably be set up to make position 2 for opposite rudder.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,857 Posts
I just have a DX6i so there are no 3-position switches. It is an interesting idea though, to have same or opposite mixes on hand. I just do everything manually and that works and keeps you thinking.

Basically, you just have to give up on steeply banked turns with this plane. It is not designed to fly that way. Just think of it as developing a new skill, which is keeping the turns as flat as possible. With the standard Radian, you can bank as much as you want and it loves it.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
True. I've never really practiced coordinated turns, only bank and yank and opposite rudder turns. I think I'm going to tonight with my sim though and a aileron sail plane and go too far with it to see if I can recreate my mistake. I never really intend to get my RP into a steep bank though, but I do think I go too far accidentally and having rudder the same way doesn't help any at that point, then I'm in a dive and roll at the same time and trying to correct it. After you mentioned it while ago I had to go grab my T-28, hold it in the air and do the moves with it trying to figure out what was happening lol, my wife thought I was crazy as all she seen was me twirling a plane in the air not knowing why.....I never told her why after either lol
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,113 Posts
I did have the problem with 2 different batteries. I just got some new ones so I can try those too. I don't have extra ESC or motors to try so I might order something if it happens again with the new batteries.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:23 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
True. I've never really practiced coordinated turns, only bank and yank and opposite rudder turns. I think I'm going to tonight with my sim though and a aileron sail plane and go too far with it to see if I can recreate my mistake. I never really intend to get my RP into a steep bank though, but I do think I go too far accidentally and having rudder the same way doesn't help any at that point, then I'm in a dive and roll at the same time and trying to correct it. After you mentioned it while ago I had to go grab my T-28, hold it in the air and do the moves with it trying to figure out what was happening lol, my wife thought I was crazy as all she seen was me twirling a plane in the air not knowing why.....I never told her why after either lol
Spend whatever time is necessary to master coordinated turns. All of your 4+ channel planes will fly better & look much more realistic in flight once you master the coordinated turn.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
When you have a motor to pull you around you can afford to be less efficent in your flying. But when you learn to draw your energy from the air you find the true advantage of flying smoothly and efficiently.

That learning will translate back to your power flying too. Gliders can teach you a lot about flying.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,384 Posts
just tried a fixed camera fpv system with my friend, man what a blast
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
+1 for Campbell and aeajr's comments. Practicing hand coordinating turns will teach you alot about how the airplane handles, and you learn where the 'groove' is in a turn. I have a switch set up to add aileron rudder/mixing, but unless I'm too far away to see how the airplane is flying, I usually don't use it. (Mostly to keep my thumbs in practice for marginal conditions, which are typical for a good part of the year where I fly.)

Another thing with thermal type coordinated turns (multiple 360's, something most power airplanes avoid ), especially tight ones, is you may end up needing to use a slight bit of opposite aileron once in the turn to keep the inside wing from dipping. If you are relying solely on aileron/rudder mix, your turn radius will increase until it hits the neutral angle, which unfortunately is almost never optimal for whatever thermal you are in. Saiplane pilots need to determine, and hold, whatever particular turn radius makes the airplane go up fastest. Big boomer thermals allow lots of mistakes, but with little, tight, down low thermals on a windy day you'll do a lot less walking if you hand coordinate the turns.

My thinking when thermalling is opposite that of a coordinated 'end of the field' turn where you set the bank with the ailerons, pull the turn with the elevator, and eliminate the 'nose up' skid with the rudder. In a thermal, I'm maintaining the diameter of the turn with the rudder (and elevator, which has to be coordinated, too) and using the ailerons to keep it banked into that nice efficient groove. It's hard to describe, but easy to see, the saiplane just flies easier, looks nicer.... most importantly, it keeps going up! Big diameter turns need a little 'in' aileron, tight turns need a little 'out' aileron.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That learning will translate back to your power flying too. Gliders can teach you a lot about flying.
This is exactly the reason I originally got the RP so it would help me with my power planes. Only thing is the more I read about sailplanes, their capabilities, and the precise control it takes to fly one, the more I don't think about power planes anymore.

Before I started flying I thought all the warbirds was where it was at, now I know for me it's not. I have much more fun soaring with the birds. I'm so glad I bought the RP!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:22 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
This is exactly the reason I originally got the RP so it would help me with my power planes. Only thing is the more I read about sailplanes, their capabilities, and the precise control it takes to fly one, the more I don't think about power planes anymore.

Before I started flying I thought all the warbirds was where it was at, now I know for me it's not. I have much more fun soaring with the birds. I'm so glad I bought the RP!
it's a whole different type of flying and challenges when you don't have too much motor up front to make even bricks fly
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
My #16 keychain camera came today in the mail. I got the one with the D wide angle lens. Next time I fly my RP I want to mount it on and get some video, but I want to do it in such a way you all can watch and tell me what I'm doing wrong or could do better. What would be the best way to mount it for that purpose? On top rearward facing? On a wingtip facing inward or another way?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:19 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
My #16 keychain camera came today in the mail. I got the one with the D wide angle lens. Next time I fly my RP I want to mount it on and get some video, but I want to do it in such a way you all can watch and tell me what I'm doing wrong or could do better. What would be the best way to mount it for that purpose? On top rearward facing? On a wingtip facing inward or another way?
On the brim of your hat watching the plane?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
On the brim of your hat watching the plane?
I've actually been thinking about that but it gets so far away it might be hard to see with no zoom function. Maybe not though, I will probably try both ways.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
I've actually been thinking about that but it gets so far away it might be hard to see with no zoom function. Maybe not though, I will probably try both ways.
it's just easier to tell what is happening to the plane from a fixed ground reference
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Well I repaired the Radian Pro and took it for a test flight last night. Did a dive test and she would not pull out of the dive. Nosed right into the ground.

My dive was fairly steep but the elevator did nothing. I can't stop thinking that maybe crow or flaps might have helped pop the nose up. Any suggestions on what to do in that situation?

That's 2 crashes now with the RP. Really not sure wether to repair the RP or spend the money on buying another Radian.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi