Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
What will give the plane a more relaxing, easier to control flight? 70 or 77? I would think 70 having a little more weight up front.
yes, moving the CG further forward will soften the sensitivity of the controls. It will also dull the "thermal indicating" of the plane
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
So I think I had wrong measurements at 77mm. I had previously tried to lay the ruler on the wing and "eyeball" the end of the ruler to the edge of the wing. Obviously that didnt work, so tonight I found a 90 degree straight edge, put flat on the table and touched the leading edge with it, measured from that. And tried it upside down. I wasn't far off, but enough to throw off the whole CG. Now with the battery about 75% the way in it balances pretty well at 77mm. I can't put the battery in any to get it to balance at 70mm so I think I'm going to scratch that balance point. Hopefully this works out good, I will find out Sunday morning...
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:19 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
So I think I had wrong measurements at 77mm. I had previously tried to lay the ruler on the wing and "eyeball" the end of the ruler to the edge of the wing. Obviously that didnt work, so tonight I found a 90 degree straight edge, put flat on the table and touched the leading edge with it, measured from that. And tried it upside down. I wasn't far off, but enough to throw off the whole CG. Now with the battery about 75% the way in it balances pretty well at 77mm. I can't put the battery in any to get it to balance at 70mm so I think I'm going to scratch that balance point. Hopefully this works out good, I will find out Sunday morning...
Good luck and let us know how it goes (those of us stuck in the "ho ho ho" cold north)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Good luck and let us know how it goes (those of us stuck in the "ho ho ho" cold north)
I'll let you all know, actually I'm pretty excited because this morning and tomorrow morning we are in the colder temps also with rapid rising temp after the sun comes out. I'm hoping for some good thermals from it that I have read is associated with cold weather.

It's not cold by your standards from up north, but for down here being used to warm weather year around, its cold lol.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thank you for that explanation, coreman. It totally explains why I couldn't get my RP to fly straight. No amount of aileron or rudder trim ever worked for long. Then one day, months later, I clued into the fact that one wing was 4.5 grams heavier than the other. A quarter taped to the underside of the wing at just the right spot made all the difference.
I did the same thing with a quarter last night and got the lateral balance almost perfect. makes me think that the round circles molded into the foam on the bottom of the wings close to the wing tips were made for quarters because that's exactly the spot I put it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
I'll let you all know, actually I'm pretty excited because this morning and tomorrow morning we are in the colder temps also with rapid rising temp after the sun comes out. I'm hoping for some good thermals from it that I have read is associated with cold weather.

It's not cold by your standards from up north, but for down here being used to warm weather year around, its cold lol.
You should have some good lift (and strong sink coming in behind it) with the temp differential.

We're happy when the daily High breaks freezing. It's been spitting snow all day today but nothing sticking at the moment. As mentioned in the Mini Vapor thread, we are busy thermalling over heating vents in our living rooms at the moment
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
I did the same thing with a quarter last night and got the lateral balance almost perfect. makes me think that the round circles molded into the foam on the bottom of the wings close to the wing tips were made for quarters because that's exactly the spot I put it.
Interesting...that is the spot, exactly, where I put mine too. Maybe somebody else will try weighing the wings individually to see if the left one is 5 grams heavier than the right one.

Maybe it's a built in feature to help us turn left with no trim lol
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Interesting...that is the spot, exactly, where I put mine too. Maybe somebody else will try weighing the wings individually to see if the left one is 5 grams heavier than the right one.

Maybe it's a built in feature to help us turn left with no trim lol
I wonder if anyone else has put a quarter in that spot?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
I also took out the orange RX that was in it and installed an AR8000 with the satellite. Even though I've heard a lot of great reviews about the Orange RX's, for some reason I feel better with the spektrum in there.

My wife also ordered me a #16 keychain camera for Christmas. I'm overly excited about getting it, hopefully soon my flights will come with some video!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Dec 2012
67 Posts
Hi, just signed up in the hope of a little advise. I'm in the UK and thinking about getting the Radion Pro and having searched google the only forum I could find was you guys. I have a very limited amount of experience with Electric Gliders but have been out of the arena for quite a few years. I would like to get back to flying and having read through most of this thread it would seem the Radion Pro ticks all the boxes. I will continue to read and ask questions and look forward to speaking to you very soon. Take care and Happy Christmas
TheOldHobbit is offline Find More Posts by TheOldHobbit
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Frodo, perhaps a Radian first??
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
Hi, just signed up in the hope of a little advise. I'm in the UK and thinking about getting the Radion Pro and having searched google the only forum I could find was you guys. I have a very limited amount of experience with Electric Gliders but have been out of the arena for quite a few years. I would like to get back to flying and having read through most of this thread it would seem the Radion Pro ticks all the boxes. I will continue to read and ask questions and look forward to speaking to you very soon. Take care and Happy Christmas

I for one love my Radian Pro
It was my first big plane coming from ultra micros but after I got over the intimidation of hand launching something this big I now use it as a relaxing change of pace from my big warbirds and my foamy stunt
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Last edited by foamyflyerr; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Be careful here; someone, whose name must not be spoken, will suggest that the all-wise Radian Pro designers did that undocumented feature intentionally. I will refrain from other "left leaning" conspiracy references in the spirit of this season
Did I skip this information somewhere in the thread?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,197 Posts
So I flew my Radian yesterday twice, it has been several weeks. It was a great day and every thing checked out on the ground. Launch was good till about 30 seconds and she lost a lot of power and sounded like a duck quacking! I cycle the throttle a several times and ended up bring her in for a landing. I checked it on the ground and no quacking, so I launched her and no quacking and a nice flight. For the second battery about an hour later it did the same thing. This time I caught some good lift and just flew around.

After landing it was still making the quacking sound and some of the other pilots said the motor was shot. I took the motor out at home and looked at the magnetics, and checked the shaft to see if it was bent. All seemed good and clean, so I put it back in and checked it out in the garage. Yup now quacking, so I have no idea what is going on. Plane is my oldest electric and has a lot of flights on it and 1 nose crash that broke the fuselage in half but that was months ago. It was cold here, in the 50s on the ground and probably colder up high.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member