SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Could you possibly post some pictures of your mod? Did you just put a ring around each prop pin, or cover the whole thing? I would like to try this.

After a year with the RP and 5 months with the Radian, I never broke a prop or a spinner. There were a few minor nose-ins along the way. Then I started to push the envelope (slope soaring over rocks and lots of hand-catches), and broke 4 of them in 2 months. It is not minor nose in events that break it, but prop strikes. All 4 were caused by my wrong decision to hit the throttle when the plane was too close to the ground.

If you hear that squealing sound, you may as well assume the spinner is broken.
+1 for the pics, I would also like to see it. Seems like a great idea!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I have no proof but my theory is that you should avoid mounting a receiver in close proximity to the ESC. ESCs generate high energy pulses which could cause interference.
Also, the ESC will generate a lot of heat at times, so anything on top wil a) reduce cooling of ESC, and b) put that heat into the sat aerial.
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:49 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Stayed up tonight and repaired my wings on my RP the best I could. I'm probably not going to go too much more with it though, unless any of you have any more suggestions. I will probably put clear packing tape all down the leading edges and I might fill in the scratches with light weight spackle but that will be about it. Here is what I done so far

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hopefully I will have her back up in the air soon!
You could install an aluminum leading edge as I did on my Radian pro.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Could you possibly post some pictures of your mod? Did you just put a ring around each prop pin, or cover the whole thing?
Let me see see what I can do tonight. I didn't take in pictures as I went so I'll go out and update the extra one I have.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Sorry pictures suck I tried the best but camera was having a hard time focusing, you should be able to get the general idea.

You will need fiberglass cloth for joining built up balsa wings.
Name: 100_0300.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 136.9 KB
Description: First you will need some fiberglass, I used some for joining balsa wings together.

Rough up / sand lightly the four areas on each side of the spinner where the pins insert to hold the prop blades in.
Name: 100_0301.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 96.6 KB
Description: Sand this area a bit with a file, you want to rough up the surface to bond the fiberglass too.

Cut the fiberglass into strips and place on each section and drop CA glue onto it. I use the tip to spread it out all the way past the edges of the spinner sides. Using some pliers to hold it keeps you from gluing your fingers together
Name: 100_0304.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 85.3 KB
Description: Cut fiberglass into strips and place on this area, I drop the CA glue onto it and use the tip to spread it out as I go.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Let the glue dry really good for each of the four sides, you want some glue to wick-out from the edges to make it easier to trim flush to the sides.
Name: 100_0305.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 91.0 KB
Description:

When glue is dry, trip with hobby knife flush to the edges and one up the pin holes.
Name: 100_0310.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 94.1 KB
Description:

That is it, you will need to sand down the spinner inside edges that touch the sides that have fiberglass s they will still fit together smoothly.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
That is it, you will need to sand down the spinner inside edges that touch the sides that have fiberglass s they will still fit together smoothly.
Thanks for that jrtubb. Although the pictures were fuzzy the verbal description was clear. I have pondered other possible solutions such as hollowing out some of the cheap plastic and putting a metal or nylon washer there to make it stronger.

I know all the guys with aluminum spinners are laughing while reading this, but I just can't bring myself to the point of adding a bunch of weight to the front of a plane that is already nose heavy.

In defense of aluminum spinners, both Radio.Active and Av8rshane have come up with effective methods of moving the CG back, making the use of heavy aluminum spinners more viable. Maybe someday I will go that route, but right now I am sticking to the story that all of the failures of the stock spinner are pilot-induced.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:14 PM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
Finally bought a Radian Pro during the week(it's my first glider).

Had a lovely maiden in 15-20mph winds and even managed a little slope soaring.
The crow is amazing! Awesome to see how it slows the glider right down.

The ailerons seemed so sluggish. It felt like I had to use massive amounts of rudder to get the glider to turn. Why are the ailerons so ineffective?

Next day tried a low pass at WOT and lost control. She nosed into the ground at WOT
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post

The ailerons seemed so sluggish. It felt like I had to use massive amounts of rudder to get the glider to turn. Why are the ailerons so ineffective?

Next day tried a low pass at WOT and lost control. She nosed into the ground at WOT
The ailerons are ineffective because the stock FG wing spar is so wimpy. If you replace that with a stiff CF rod the ailerons will respond to your commands.

Why would anybody do a low pass at WOT with this plane? It is a glider. I like to do high speed passes but only with the motor off.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post

The longer the wings the more effect adverse yaw has and the greater the need for aileron differential.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Maybe someday I will go that route, but right now I am sticking to the story that all of the failures of the stock spinner are pilot-induced.
They are, the pilots refuse to see the light and swap them out!!
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Why would anybody do a low pass at WOT with this plane? It is a glider. I like to do high speed passes but only with the motor off.
I think the phrase (it's my first glider) (and he said it was bought this week) answers that question.

As a power pilot, what is your first task once the trimming is done? WOT passes.

What does the peanut gallery chant? Lower! Lower!
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I think the phrase (it's my first glider) (and he said it was bought this week) answers that question.

As a power pilot, what is your first task once the trimming is done?
WOT passes.

Actually - as a power pilot, the first task after trimming should be to explore the plane's low-speed handling qualities, stall-behavior, and power-on/power-off glide characteristics up high. I've been doing it that way for 28 years so far. It tends to greatly extend a plane's service life.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
LOL true! There is a limit to how low you can go. After that limit is exceeded, you no longer have a bunch of parts flying in formation.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Actually - as a power pilot, the first task after trimming should be to explore the plane's low-speed handling qualities, stall-behavior, and power-on/power-off glide characteristics up high. I've been doing it that way for 28 years so far. It tends to greatly extend a plane's service life.

Joel
I totally agree. Every time I maiden a new plane, I test out it's gliding abilities and stall characteristics, even though it is not a glider. I had a 28 minute flight with the Mustang once, thanks to a major thermal event. IMO trying to fly a warbird as a glider is better than trying to fly a glider as a warbird.