RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:01 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Eastcoast, Scb28, Xptical, Hostage, & Rahtware,

Thanks for your recommendations and he links!

I am reading through them all.

Thanks!

Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Dec 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:19 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Same for me, actually. Too bad I haven't had the chance for a maiden yet, with this stupid winter storm thats battering the east coast, and pushing 20+ mph winds minimum here in fl...

As for mods and all that, quite honestly I think the real trick to the radian pro is simply to master all the features it comes with! How much flaps to use, when to use flaps, reflex, camber, crow... Who knew flying a sailplane could be so complicated...
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:26 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Got in some good flights today. Climb out power was adequate even with battery voltage near LVC.

I tried out adding some Camber to the ailerons, however, my aileron control almost vanished. So, I decided to jack up the aileron throws, which would also improve maneuverability at low speeds. My LHS found some longer servo arms (DuBro 932 Micro Servo Arm XL) that fit the Parkzone servo splines OK. So I swapped in 25mm arms to both servos and centered them, which removed most of the differential. I shortened the pushrods and connected them to the next to the last hole. Unfortunately, I ran out of threads on the pushrod - couldn't get it quite short enough to eliminate the diff altogether.

The result was that the max aileron throw increased from 17mm to 26mm, which helps quite a bit when the airspeed drops (e.g., landing patterns, stalls, etc.). I bumped up the expo to keep the PRO from being twitchy in speedier flying.

Camber worked batter after the ailerons were improved. Camber adds several mm of extra down on the aileron midpoints, which is in addition to the full wing trailing edge droop. The PRO seemed to be more floaty. We'll see tomorrow if that impression was real or imagined...

BTW, this post shows how I implemented Camber on the DX6i.

EDIT: One of my longer aileron servo arms actually jumped several splines on the servo shaft during a normal landing. The arm screw was tight so I suspect improper spline compatility between the Dubro 932 arms and the Parkzone servos. DON'T USE THEM.

So today, I swapped the aileron horns out for smaller ones (Dubro 919 Micros), which I mounted on piece of 1/32 plywood. I reinstalled the original servo arms and now have about 22mm of aileron throw with no differential.
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Last edited by jchunter; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:00 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Good stuff.I was thinking after i use the Crow setting for abit. Im using the (DX6i)I was planning on changing the AIL, From up(Crow) too down a few mm (Camber) to see if it well help with lift ,I already Sub Trimmed the the Flaps down 2-3mm,Just too give abit extra lift all the time. and Flip my Switch for Ail movement to give the AIL a down Camber setting.that may be the trick too compensate for the Extra bit of Weight..
I haven't flown mine yet,Waiting for that glimmer of hope.All rain...and now we got that Storm hitting us in the next day or so...

I posted some pics on the door covering...That bay door is Bad for Moisture/snow. Im also putting my RX in a balloon.
Think we had a victim yesterday.Snow up there a few time and Shorted it and crashed...
snow in that area a few times is not good...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post16923426
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennerz19 View Post
Hey all I haven't posted in some time. I got a radian about a yr ago as my first ever rc anything really. I loved that plane, flew it a lot, mounted my gopro camera on it, and just generally had a blast with it. Unfortunately a few weeks ago I had a crash that this time I don't think is repairable. I figured I would eventually get a new one but not anytime soon as money is tight. Well my wife just surprised me for Christmas. I unwrapped a new radian pro PnP today! I was pretty excited to say the least. I have my original DX5e controller and AR5000 receiver from my original radian. As I understand it, these are capable of flying the new radian pro (yes I know, not maximizing it's full potential though). I still am pretty novice to RC, the radian is all I've ever owned and it came RTF, any tips or know how on getting my radian pro to work with my original receiver and transmitter? For example, what ports in the receiver do I connect each cable? I know this is probably way basic, but I don't have a clue haha. Thanks for any help. I'm anxious to give the new bird a try.
Attached is picture after original radians last flight
Not sure you got the full answer you wanted.

SETTING UP A RADIAN PRO ON THE DX5E AND AR500 RECEIVER

Your DX5e absolutely has all the controls needed to use all the features of the Radian pro. You won't be able to do the fancy surface mixing that at the expensive radios can do but they are not required. You can absolutely fly the Pro on the DX5e and the AR500 and do more than you might think.

I will be laying out controls based on Mode 2, the most commonly configuration used in North America. Mode 1 or 3 would place things differently but the effect is the same.

Pitch and roll - right stick
yaw and speed - left stick

ELEVATOR stays on right stick as pitch goes on the right stick.

AILERONS - AR500 has a built in "Y" cable so it has two aileron connections but a single aileron channel. You can just plug in the ailerons in the aileron slots. You will control these from the right stick which is where primary roll control always goes regardless of what surfaces you have.

*Rudder - moves to the left stick. This is true of every plane that has ailerons. Rudder now becomes your yaw control which goes on the left stick. You now have finer control of the Radian Pro than you had of the Radian because Yaw and Roll are no longer coupled.

Throttle and Flaps - Where to put them on the DX5e? Well, that depends on you and your intent.

If you are more of a power plane pilot, then you put the throttle on the left stick and the flaps on the switch. The flaps will need a Y cable which may be included with the Pro. That means you use the throttle a lot and the flaps are only used as brakes just before you land. Nothing wrong with this, but this is not the way I would set it up.

If you are more of a glider pilot then you put the throttle on the switch and the flaps on the left stick. I am more of a glider pilot so that is what I would do. To me flaps are more than brakes, they help me reshape the wing in the air to control speed and glide path. I want fine control of the flaps.

I only use the motor to climb so it is on or off in 30 seconds typically. I really don't need fine control on the throttle so I would put that throttle on the switch. In fact many high end competition e-glider pilots with expensive radios and planes put their throttle on a switch. Power on/power off is all you need.

With the flaps on the left stick I have fine control of the flaps and that means I can use them for full glide path control as well as braking. Flaps would be neutral with the stick all the way forward. If you think of this as a speed control, flaps neutral is my high speed position for them. Left stick pulled all the way back is my low speed or stopping position. That is the standard way to set them up on a glider.

If I find lift, I can apply a very small amount of flaps to increase the undercamber shape to the wing in a thermal and to climb more quickly. That means I would pull the left stick slightly toward me, back, to bring the flaps down a couple of mm or about 1/4". On my Futaba 9C sailplane radio I have this on a switch, but using the DX5e I would just move the left stick a little.

If I am up high and want to get down I can ease in more flaps to help me bring the plane down steeply without gaining a lot of speed. I might not put them full on, depending on my goals, my distance from the field, etc. I have fine control so I use it.

As I am coming in for a landing I can ease the flaps in and out as needed to control the glide path for a precision landing. Remember I am a glider pilot so the idea of using the motor on approach is not part of my flying style.

What about reflex, which is flaps slightly up? This is used for penetration into the wind. Well, if you use your trim control on the left stick and put in about 4 clicks of up trim that would be reflex. When you are done you just give it 4 clicks of down to get it back to center/neurtal. You don't even have to move the left stick.

As you can see a DX5e and the AR500 can be used to fly the Radian pro and you will have advanced controls as compared to the orignal Radian. You won't have crow, you won't have full trailing edge camber control and you won't have flap to elevator mixing.

FLAP TO ELEVATOR MIXING - As you apply flaps you increase the lift of the wing. If you have a computer radio that can provide automatic flap to elevator mixing then you mix in some down elevator as you apply flaps. Even basic computer radios like the DX6i have this mix. Otherwise the nose of the Radian Pro will "balloon" up and the plane will tend to stall. Without this mix set you have to do this with your right stick manually.

If you are flying the DX5e or other standard radio without mixes you will need to learn to apply some down elevator whenever you apply the flaps. If you don't you may find yourself crashing a lot. This is true whether you have the flaps on the switch or the left stick. It is a learned process and after a while it becomes automatic. But this is one reason people like computer radios. They do this for you.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 27, 2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:32 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Duplicate post
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Good stuff.I was thinking after i use the Crow setting for abit. Im using the (DX6i)I was planning on changing the AIL, From up(Crow) too down a few mm (Camber) to see if it well help with lift ,I already Sub Trimmed the the Flaps down 2-3mm,Just too give abit extra lift all the time. and Flip my Switch for Ail movement to give the AIL a down Camber setting.that may be the trick too compensate for the Extra bit of Weight..
I haven't flown mine yet,Waiting for that glimmer of hope.All rain...and now we got that Storm hitting us in the next day or so... ...]
I feel your pain. I grew up in upstate New York. Not fun in winter
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:15 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Props

I just ran across Value Hobby and found graupner equivalent folding props for under $4.00 per set. I ordered 2 11x6's and 2 10x8's and with shipping from Illinois it was around $18.50 total. Check them out.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...45&item_id=432

Steve

(This may have already been posted, but I didn't want to surf through the forum)
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:29 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Nice find there SailingAlong...They don't ship too Canada so no good for me.Not sure what the Quality of them are like...Be-carefull they don't Split off on you...

Yea Jc im Bummed out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I figured that for the price, it was worth the chance. Once they arrive, I will put them to the test and report back of their performance, etc. Most likely it will be a test of time though

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,630 Posts
Well I talked to Horizon this morning and they were very helpful. They sent me a return label to ship the whole plane back.

Once they get it they are going to send out a new one.

Can't ask for much more than that.
FiremanBill is offline Find More Posts by FiremanBill
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBill View Post
Well I talked to Horizon this morning and they were very helpful. They sent me a return label to ship the whole plane back.

Alsome Fireman,No you cant ask for more then that...
So have you figued out a casue? Strange for a 2.4 too crap out on you like that.Im wondering what would casue that.Of-course a power shortage
But what casued that...
looks like tomorrow is my day for a flight(Finally).
Winds 20km/h partly sunny Temp 7Celus.
I think my Buddy is coming out with me, ill get some Video of it...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Dec 27, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:

Woo Hoo!!
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:56 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:

It's customer support like this that makes Horizon Hobby a pleasure to do business with. Whenever I've had a problem, they have always gone the extra mile to fix it.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead