HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
256 Posts
+100 on Lizardman's setup. And great advice on always preflighting both radio and airframe. Now if I could just get some smarts to know if my FM2 trims are flying any better than FM1, I'd be set. No substitute for hours in the logbook, I guess...

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
Also +1 on his suggestion of launching at half-throttle and then gradually ramping it up. I finally came to that method myself, but it took much longer than it should have to figure it out. There is no need to use max throttle to launch this plane.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Watched a guy put a Radian together, launch full throttle into a strong wind. Did a loop right in front of him and he put all the pieces back in the box and stalked off. Tried to tell him no full thorttle before he launched, not to gently told to mind my own business. There are idiots out there.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
Here is a vid of a guy doing the loop-crash thing. There is something about this video that makes me think it was all staged. What do you guys think?

RC Plane Crashes into a Gate (0 min 35 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
Eascoast78 sent me his file for the Dx7. I'm happy to send it to you if you PM me your real e-mail address (or he can), however I'm not sure if it will work on yours?

I haven't fiddled with it at all; it worked great "as is." The one thing I really like is it puts the flaps down in a slow movement over 4 seconds time, so it doesn't throw off the downward drift (for landing).

Sam
This one ?
http://www.radian-pro.com/spektrum-r...trum-dx7-setup
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Also +1 on his suggestion of launching at half-throttle and then gradually ramping it up. I finally came to that method myself, but it took much longer than it should have to figure it out. There is no need to use max throttle to launch this plane.
I also launch at about half-throttle & then ramp it up after the plane is in level flight. When I ran it up in my hand before the maiden & noticed that it had nearly a 1:1 thrust-to-weight, I knew that this bird wouldn't need full throttle right out of the gate.

Not much flying wx around here lately. I was out a while back with the on-board cam shooting landings & generally screwing around. If you guys want to watch some boring flying around the club field & a few landings, I'll put a clip together & post it.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Here is a vid of a guy doing the loop-crash thing. There is something about this video that makes me think it was all staged. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpv6N5ly0I
I don't think it was staged. Who could intentionally do that to a nice plane?
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
I'm used to standing on the winch and launching so I always launch full throttle and I have the CG and trims set so I get an arrow straight climb out. I would think I launch at something between 60-75 degrees with a good solid heft. Like I said, with the 40 Plush ESC and the 11x8 prop, it will accelerate pretty much vertically. Where I used to be in 30 seconds with the stock prop, I'm now there in 15 seconds. So while I'm drawing 25 amps for 15 seconds, it's less battery than the stock prop at 18 amps for 30 seconds so I feel I get the same number of climbs. Oh, and I'm still flying 1300mah batteries (GensAce mostly)

YMMV like I said, I'm used to standing on the winch pedal and testing the wing spars on my thermal duration ships.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:44 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,400 Posts
haven't had my pro out for a while so with plenty of thermals around today i put her up and had an excellent couple of flights. When the Thermals are about i love flying this Glider

had the key cam on but hey we have seen it all before, it was just a straight forward flight, so i won't upload it

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I don't think it was staged. Who could intentionally do that to a nice plane?
There are people who can spend more than that on a bottle of wine, and that might seem like a good deal for 15 minutes of fame. Then there's the video we saw a few months ago of guys shooting up brand new Radian Pros for fun. That Radian sounded like it was on it's last legs.

What makes me wonder about this video is the body language doesn't seem genuine. It doesn't look like OMG, but more like satisfaction at a job well done. There should have been some kind of groan or comment from the camera man but there was not. Instead he followed the action without a moment's hesitation, as though he knew what was going to happen in advance.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:37 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
What makes me wonder about this video is the body language doesn't seem genuine.
Well have a look at the body language in this video. Guess these guys really didn't like the Extra 300 too much...

Canberra Park Flyers - Parkzone Extra 300 versus light pole (3 min 19 sec)
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:35 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,557 Posts
And the point of that video....

So Chuck, what's going on with the kids in Canberra? Are there some unresolved anger issues with the youth or what ?
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:40 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post
Well have a look at the body language in this video. Guess these guys really didn't like the Extra 300 too much...
That's just plain rude!
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
[QUOTE=Nam Lemmi;23463735]Well have a look at the body language in this video. Guess these guys really didn't like the Extra 300 too much... ]

At least you have to give them credit for being honest. They decided it was a piece of junk and made a decent video of it being destroyed. Obviously it would have been better to give the plane away to some kid who would have been thrilled to have it. Unfortunately, a video of giving a plane to a kid wouldn't get as many hits as this one will.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM.