HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Newest member of the group here, just ordered my Radian Pro! Woot Woot!! Now the wait......
Congrats Campbell!! You're gonna have a blast, especially with your DX8, used to have a 6i & I'm loving flying her with the 8, great group of guys here that are always willing to help!!! Looking forward to hearing 'bout your maiden when she arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
thanks man, yea i kinda slapped it together lol..hmm i may just have to give her a lick of paint in the spring.

With the cam and everything there in a RTF config i need about 1 oz of lead on the tail.
I got those sticky back lead 1/4oz pieces. going to stick it to the hoz stab.

As for not using a separate channel on the RX, im using the 6ch OrangeRX with satt and everything is used up.
Easter, your FPV on the RP is the @#%^!!!!!!!!! I can not keep up with you!! That's so cool!!! Soooo looking forward to your FPV vids with her!! I'm all excited I'm gonna put the Contour on the Icon A5, LOL, but digging your setup, can't wait
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Congrats Campbell!! You're gonna have a blast, especially with your DX8, used to have a 6i & I'm loving flying her with the 8, great group of guys here that are always willing to help!!! Looking forward to hearing 'bout your maiden when she arrives
Oh man I too can't wait to maiden it, I've been catching myself looking for birds circling every time I go outside, lol I guess I've got the bug. I always tried to keep my T-28 relatively low to the ground though within a couple hundred feet, I guess I sub consciously wanted to keep it close so it didnt "get away". It's probably something to do with being a beginner, but I'm hoping I can let the Radian Pro go up and do its thing without getting the height jitters.

I've also been looking around for what seems to be the best setup to download for my DX8 but there is so many it's confusing!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
706 Posts
Radian Pro Wing Joiner Tube Weight?

Can someone tell me how much the Radian Pro wing joiner tube weighs? Also what are its dimensions? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is a little beefier than the standard Radian's, and I was thinking of perhaps using it in my Radian when flying in stiffer winds.

Thanks,

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Can someone tell me how much the Radian Pro wing joiner tube weighs? Also what are its dimensions? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is a little beefier than the standard Radian's, and I was thinking of perhaps using it in my Radian when flying in stiffer winds.

Thanks,

Cliff
just order the appropriate size from one of the carbon fiber retailers, like RC Foam. It will be lighter and stronger. The Radian Pro is 9.5mm in diameter and I used this tube
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Oh man I too can't wait to maiden it, I've been catching myself looking for birds circling every time I go outside, lol I guess I've got the bug. I always tried to keep my T-28 relatively low to the ground though within a couple hundred feet, I guess I sub consciously wanted to keep it close so it didnt "get away". It's probably something to do with being a beginner, but I'm hoping I can let the Radian Pro go up and do its thing without getting the height jitters.

I've also been looking around for what seems to be the best setup to download for my DX8 but there is so many it's confusing!
LOL, I hear ya 'bout checking out the birds! I'm always on the lookout for them everytime I fly! It's so cool to soar with them, you'll have to take a look at Jumpysticks vid where he gets "attacked" by one!

I haven't taken a look at the Spektrum site lately but I use their .spm file they have for the RP and I'm happy with it. I took it a step further & also put Flaps on the AUX 3 switch for a "variable" setting which helps me out for my spot landing practice, but I mostly use the Flaps on the Flap switch.

Have you taken a look at this guy:

http://www.radian-pro.com/mods

Eastcoast78, Jumpysticks, aeajr & Jovanx are a few that come to mind that have helped me a lot with mods & questions, their blogs are loaded with good info as well as excellent vids!!!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:05 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
It your fingers and batteries can stand the cold, winter thermals are actually stronger due to the temperature differential. Plus if you have any roads or parking lots near your flying fields the black asphalt surrounded by snow cover can give you a reliable thermal generator on sunny days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
+1 on that! The best thermal I ever had was last winter after a spell of 30 below and then it warmed up to just above freezing. The birds were all loving it and it was one of the only times I ever had to work to bring the plane down. This summer was one of the hottest summers we have ever had, and I was expecting to be able to soar forever, but the thermals still weren't as good as you guys get out in the open. If I drive east for an hour and get out of the mountains, the thermals are more steady.

The other day I hit another big one, and the temp was about +5C. In the winter this town is just one big heat-generator, with gas furnaces and wood stoves doing their thing.

Keeping the batteries warm is difficult on some planes, but not on this one. They are tucked inside and surrounded by insulating foam. If you tape the holes shut, it keeps the snow out and the battery stays warm. I use fleece gloves with holes cut in the thumb-pads and fly down to minus 25C.
Man do I have a load to learn about this aspect of things, I just ASSUMED you would not get good thermals in winter with the sun being at such an oblique angle. I fly all winter anyway, with a Tx mit and parka, usually off skis on my PZ Stinson and SE5a, couple belly landers, helis and my micro planes off the hard packed street. As you can tell, the cold won't stop me. Just need some nice sunny days as recently it's been nothing but clouds and flurries.

I will definately be checking out potential thermal generators now ... thanks for the tips guys!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Nov 2012
181 Posts
prop mods?

What is your opinion on the best upgrade to do on a Radian Pro. I love mine, but want to start mixing things up a bit...
mkharrell is offline Find More Posts by mkharrell
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:22 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharrell View Post
What is your opinion on the best upgrade to do on a Radian Pro. I love mine, but want to start mixing things up a bit...
I love the near vertical climb I get with an 11x8 prop on the HK aluminum 50mm spinner. I did upgrade the ESC after reading the BEC on it was only 700mw. The 40amp one I'm using is overkill but it lets me draw 25amps from the motor without worry. And while the draw is high, the climb is much faster to altitude so I think it's a wash on flight length

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10983
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
300 Posts
Yup, the prop/spinner mod is a definite must have... I also upgraded the ESC with a Turnigy Plush 40A (brake on) and installed Golden-Rods.. You may want to tear off the tape off and verify the FG spar for the fuze was glued in properly (mine wasn't )..
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:22 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Stock motor & ESC but I went with a Graupner 10x8 prop & Turbo Aluminum 50mm spinner & it's a HUGE difference!!!!! Have fun!!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Anyone used this setup on their DX8?

http://www.radian-pro.com/spektrum-r...trum-dx8-setup

My Radian Pro should be delivered tomorrow and I'm searching for a setup to download to my TX. This one seems complicated on paper, but it might be easier than it seems. Anyone have any experience with it or others to recommend?
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:05 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,067 Posts
Quote:
My Radian Pro should be delivered tomorrow and I'm searching for a setup to download to my TX. This one seems complicated on paper, but it might be easier than it seems.
My suggestion would be not to get hung up on details at first. Just take it out as a 5 channel plane (4CH + flaps) and fly it a few times without any fancy settings. There is plenty of time for that later.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:26 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Eascoast78 sent me his file for the Dx7. I'm happy to send it to you if you PM me your real e-mail address (or he can), however I'm not sure if it will work on yours?

I haven't fiddled with it at all; it worked great "as is." The one thing I really like is it puts the flaps down in a slow movement over 4 seconds time, so it doesn't throw off the downward drift (for landing).

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Anyone used this setup on their DX8?

http://www.radian-pro.com/spektrum-r...trum-dx8-setup

My Radian Pro should be delivered tomorrow and I'm searching for a setup to download to my TX. This one seems complicated on paper, but it might be easier than it seems. Anyone have any experience with it or others to recommend?
That's my setup. It's not too difficult to understand, plus it allows you to slowly start using its more complex features. Start out with just three switches (FMODE, Flaps and Mix). Flaps aren't required, but help new pilots land successfully.

FMODE and Mix work together. With this program Mix (rear right switch) enabled/disables your RP's motor. Motor speed is controlled by the throttle stick, while the Mix switch turns the motor on/off. Consider it a safety switch, use it before connecting your RP's battery to avoid bumping the throttle stick before you're ready to launch.

Typical launch sequence:

Place Mix in safe position.
Connect battery, wait for ESC to initialize.
Check control surface movements (in the correct directions too).
Fmode should be fully down (Position 0)
Flap switch should be fully up. (Note: flaps remain down until Mix switch is changed)
When ready to launch, advance throttle slightly (motor shouldn't start, because Mix is still active)
Quickly toggle Mix switch off and on once to verify motor starts.
Motor should stop when Mix is on again.
Make sure you're aware of other models in the air and people around you.
Hold RP up with wings level, and nose and tail level.
Advance throttle to about 1/2, motor will not start yet.
Double check people and other model positions.
Flip off Mix switch (motor will spin up to 1/2 throttle)
Toss your RP level and straight ahead.

Your RP should fly level then slowly start to climb.
Once you're sure it's flying Okay and you have control, slowly advance throttle.
Expect your RP to nose up as throttle is advanced, it's likely you'll need to use a touch of down elevator to prevent it from climbing too steeply to maintain airspeed.

If anything goes wrong, flip Mix switch on to kill motor. It's easier to control when gliding than under power.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan