SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
*sigh* This video contains content from Smithsonian Networks, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.
That's so annoying. I wonder why they bother saying they are sorry. A guy in England uploaded one and everybody could watch it except us Canadians. The message said there was a copyrighted audio track. I asked the English guy what was on the audio and he laughed and said it was Nickleback.

I ended up watching the Gimli video on a different link. Hopefully this one will work for you...

Air Crash Investigation - Gimli Glider / Miracle Flight / Deadly Glide (S05E02) (47 min 26 sec)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Newest member of the group here, just ordered my Radian Pro! Woot Woot!! Now the wait......
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Welcome campbellj
It's a great plane and this is a very active forum. There are plenty of folks here willing to help out. Just ask and ye shall receive.

Hello Eastcoast
Just checked out your FPV setup and it looks like it's almost ready to go. It will be interesting to see how it all works out, and also how much tail weight it takes to get the CG set. We're counting on you to get some close up vids of those icebergs. I am curious to know why the camera swivel is tied to the rudder and ailerons instead of a channel of it's own.

At the beginning of the video you mentioned the brown glue on the fuselage after the repairs. White spray paint is a quick and easy solution to that. The factory assembly of my fuselage was very sloppy, with gobs of brown glue on the joints and along the control rod casings. There were spots of brown glue all over and it looked like somebody had handled the fuselage with glue on their fingers. The white spray paint took care of it all.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Welcome campbellj
It's a great plane and this is a very active forum. There are plenty of folks here willing to help out. Just ask and ye shall receive.

Hello Eastcoast
Just checked out your FPV setup and it looks like it's almost ready to go. It will be interesting to see how it all works out, and also how much tail weight it takes to get the CG set. We're counting on you to get some close up vids of those icebergs. I am curious to know why the camera swivel is tied to the rudder and ailerons instead of a channel of it's own.

At the beginning of the video you mentioned the brown glue on the fuselage after the repairs. White spray paint is a quick and easy solution to that. The factory assembly of my fuselage was very sloppy, with gobs of brown glue on the joints and along the control rod casings. There were spots of brown glue all over and it looked like somebody had handled the fuselage with glue on their fingers. The white spray paint took care of it all.
thanks man, yea i kinda slapped it together lol..hmm i may just have to give her a lick of paint in the spring.

With the cam and everything there in a RTF config i need about 1 oz of lead on the tail.
I got those sticky back lead 1/4oz pieces. going to stick it to the hoz stab.

As for not using a separate channel on the RX, im using the 6ch OrangeRX with satt and everything is used up.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
With the cam and everything there in a RTF config i need about 1 oz of lead on the tail.
I got those sticky back lead 1/4oz pieces. going to stick it to the hoz stab.

As for not using a separate channel on the RX, im using the 6ch OrangeRX with satt and everything is used up.
I made a hole in the rear of the fuselage just above the tail skid. When using the camera, I stick a 1/2 oz fishing weight in there and hold it with some tape. It's easy to pull it out when flying without the camera.

I am flying mine with only 6 channels as well. The RTF and BNF versions are set up to operate as 5 channel airplanes, with the ailerons on a Y-cable. That means you could put the throttle on a switch and use the throttle stick to rotate the camera. Another option would be to leave the throttle on the stick and use mixes and switches to get various camera positions.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:33 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
That's so annoying. I wonder why they bother saying they are sorry. A guy in England uploaded one and everybody could watch it except us Canadians. The message said there was a copyrighted audio track. I asked the English guy what was on the audio and he laughed and said it was Nickleback.

I ended up watching the Gimli video on a different link. Hopefully this one will work for you...
nope, same message in USA
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
I have considered all these options, was going to test it like this and see how it is. What's using up the channels is having camber/reflex.
I could use the dial if i didn't have my Aux1 used
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Marlin,

That's one of my favorite extreme piloting skill stories! Happened not too far from my hometown up on the Canadian border of Minnesota. Did you know that the captain on that flight was also a sailplane pilot? He said it was his sailplane experience that allowed him to pull it off. Also, the runway was in use by a group of drag-racers at the time. They had to scatter in a hurry when they saw the heavy coming in right at them.

Joel
I had seen the show on it and had read about it so was actually aware of this. Very cool story isn't it Joel! Amazing piece of flying, but can you imagine the pucker factor for those racers on the ground seeing that big steel bird coming down at them ... wow!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:28 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:

The full episode is viewable on the Smithsonian YouTube Channel here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w5LqlTwbhs

I just watched the animated sequence of the flight on this link

MAYDAY, AIR ACCIDENT: AIR CANADA FLIGHT 143 "The Gimli Glider" (HIGH QUALITY) (7 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Dec 01, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Newest member of the group here, just ordered my Radian Pro! Woot Woot!! Now the wait......
Welcome aboard there campbellj
This thread has been a great source of information for me about the Radian Pro. Your gonna love flying yours I hope. I have two war birds (a p47 and and p51 mustang) and a flat foamy stunt plane but I always return to my Radian Pro for a nice relaxing soaring session to relieve the stress of flying other high performance planes.
Enjoy that Radian Pro
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Welcome campbellj
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Welcome aboard there campbellj
This thread has been a great source of information for me about the Radian Pro. Your gonna love flying yours I hope. I have two war birds (a p47 and and p51 mustang) and a flat foamy stunt plane but I always return to my Radian Pro for a nice relaxing soaring session to relieve the stress of flying other high performance planes.
Enjoy that Radian Pro
Thanks guys! Tons of great info here, I can't wait to get my Radian Pro, I'm pretty much a self taught beginner. I had some sim training and started with a T-28. I've got close to 30 flights with decent landings, well all but the last one in strong winds, brought her down kinda rough. So I'm in the middle of a overhaul with it, luckally it was all repairable.

In the meantime I was looking for a more relaxed flying plane so I could develop skills at a little slower pace and got a couple recommendations for a radian. Honestly I never considered a glider, but the more I read about them, the more fun they seem to be so I'm very excited with my decision! At first I was looking at the radian, but since I already have a DX8 I figured I would go with the Pro so I could use my Tx to its fullest.

This thread is great and I'm sure I will have tons of questions as time goes on. Thanks again everyone!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
I was looking for a more relaxed flying plane so I could develop skills at a little slower pace and got a couple recommendations for a radian. Honestly I never considered a glider, but the more I read about them, the more fun they seem to be so I'm very excited with my decision! At first I was looking at the radian, but since I already have a DX8 I figured I would go with the Pro so I could use my Tx to its fullest.
Sounds like we're about the same level of "talent".
I also went with the Pro. I didn't ask or consider if I was ready for it.
I love flying it, but the Radian would probably be more relaxing and appropriate for my skill level.
The 1st time my left wing tip caught the edge of a thermal, I over-reacted (I didn't know what caused it) and almost ended up in a death spiral. I think the Radian might be more forgiving in these type of situations ? I may take a step back and get a Radian and save the Pro for when my skills are a bit better.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Dec 01, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:09 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Hey Campbellj, congrats on the purchase of the RP!

I have been flying for a little bit, fixed wing pattern, scale, some IMAC, and recently 3D. Also flying some heli, mild 3D and just FFF, but only got into GLIDERS late this summer when my wife bought me a Radian Pro as a gift. (I had been himmming and hawwwwing about one for a while.) I caught a nice thermal on my second flight and have been AMAZED at how much I enjoy flying this plane. It has inspired me to learn about the entirely new style of flying that is thermal soaring and thermal competition. I haven't tried to find a competition yet, but I have read a ton on various threads here on RCGroups about the techniques, objectives and strategies around thermal gliding and it has been an absolute BLAST!

Can't wait for next spring and the onset of thermal season again.

Hope you enjoy your RP as much as I have mine, it's a great way to get into this element of the hobby and you will find some amazingly bright and helpfull folks on this thread and others.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:20 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Hey Campbellj, congrats on the purchase of the RP!

I have been flying for a little bit, fixed wing pattern, scale, some IMAC, and recently 3D. Also flying some heli, mild 3D and just FFF, but only got into GLIDERS late this summer when my wife bought me a Radian Pro as a gift. (I had been himmming and hawwwwing about one for a while.) I caught a nice thermal on my second flight and have been AMAZED at how much I enjoy flying this plane. It has inspired me to learn about the entirely new style of flying that is thermal soaring and thermal competition. I haven't tried to find a competition yet, but I have read a ton on various threads here on RCGroups about the techniques, objectives and strategies around thermal gliding and it has been an absolute BLAST!

Can't wait for next spring and the onset of thermal season again.

Hope you enjoy your RP as much as I have mine, it's a great way to get into this element of the hobby and you will find some amazingly bright and helpfull folks on this thread and others.

Marlin
It your fingers and batteries can stand the cold, winter thermals are actually stronger due to the temperature differential. Plus if you have any roads or parking lots near your flying fields the black asphalt surrounded by snow cover can give you a reliable thermal generator on sunny days
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:08 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
It your fingers and batteries can stand the cold, winter thermals are actually stronger due to the temperature differential. Plus if you have any roads or parking lots near your flying fields the black asphalt surrounded by snow cover can give you a reliable thermal generator on sunny days
+1 on that! The best thermal I ever had was last winter after a spell of 30 below and then it warmed up to just above freezing. The birds were all loving it and it was one of the only times I ever had to work to bring the plane down. This summer was one of the hottest summers we have ever had, and I was expecting to be able to soar forever, but the thermals still weren't as good as you guys get out in the open. If I drive east for an hour and get out of the mountains, the thermals are more steady.

The other day I hit another big one, and the temp was about +5C. In the winter this town is just one big heat-generator, with gas furnaces and wood stoves doing their thing.

Keeping the batteries warm is difficult on some planes, but not on this one. They are tucked inside and surrounded by insulating foam. If you tape the holes shut, it keeps the snow out and the battery stays warm. I use fleece gloves with holes cut in the thumb-pads and fly down to minus 25C.