HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
Thanks for the info and great video Jovanx! You did get pretty low. I can't imagine losing the plane for a while... scary!

Sam
that's one mistake people make a lot of times is that when they lose sight they stop flying. Keep flying the plane in a steady matter for at least some time.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
In this case I didn't have the option of just letting it glide and hoping to spot it. The plane was down behind some big trees and would have ended up in the river. I knew the only hope was to give it throttle and hope it would climb above the trees and I got very lucky. To make matters worse, the heavy (6oz) camera makes it more difficult to gain altitude, as it really wants to fall off to the side while climbing.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
In this case I didn't have the option of just letting it glide and hoping to spot it. The plane was down behind some big trees and would have ended up in the river. I knew the only hope was to give it throttle and hope it would climb above the trees and I got very lucky. To make matters worse, the heavy (6oz) camera makes it more difficult to gain altitude, as it really wants to fall off to the side while climbing.
yep, throttle and launch mode. My comment is probably more suited to deadstick and pure gliders. just because you drop out of sight doesn't mean you are on the ground yet
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
I don't even have a launch mode on my radio LOL. It's just a DX6i and I was guessing how much up-elevator it might need, and was trying not to move the ailerons at the same time. With the heavy camera and the extra drag, it takes some work to keep it going up, even when you can see the plane.

Without the camera, it is much easier, but I still have to be ready if it wants to fall off to the side. How does your launch mode work? Can you set it so the plane will just keep going up without much input from you?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I don't even have a launch mode on my radio LOL. It's just a DX6i and I was guessing how much up-elevator it might need, and was trying not to move the ailerons at the same time. With the heavy camera and the extra drag, it takes some work to keep it going up, even when you can see the plane.

Without the camera, it is much easier, but I still have to be ready if it wants to fall off to the side. How does your launch mode work? Can you set it so the plane will just keep going up without much input from you?
Well, the most important thing is to trim your plane so it tracks straight. launch mode is mostly just some flaps to give you added lift. I just put it on one of my 3 position switches (flying a JR8103) and when i launch i give it some elevator to set the climb angle, level the wings and then just get off the sticks and it climbs out. I've been playing with props and i have mine so it launches at a 75 degree or more angle. What you DON'T want is for it to climb/loop under power so you have to feed down elevator to keep it climbing straight. The first think I did was move my CG aft. I think I'm between 85-90mm from the leading edge currently

As always YMMV and you need to set it so it conforms to your flying style
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Jovanx,

That was a great save! Don't think I've ever flown one blind under power for anywhere near that long.

Coreman,

I learned about keeping on flying after losing sight of my plane during my first solo RC flight! The engine quit shortly after takeoff. I didn't have enough altitude for a go-around, so I had no choice but to glide her in straight ahead. There was small rise followed by a gentle downward slope off the end of the runway. That end of the field was mostly dirt. I watched my plane disappear over the rise, still flying at around 6' AGL or so. I figured that if I held the sticks in that position, the plane would continue to follow the same glide-path. I stood there motionless for over a minute. My instructor finally said "It has to be on the ground by now!" We walked quite a distance before we spotted the plane - just sitting there in the dirt on all three wheels, as if nothing had happened. She was completely unharmed. Not even a bent gear strut or a scratch on the prop.

Fast-forward about 15 years. I again lost power shortly after takeoff & had no choice but to keep going straight ahead. This time I was flying a 60-size Ace Bingo, and I was at a different field. The ground sloped gently downward for about a mile & gradually turned into a grassy marsh. Sure enough - the she sailed right over the horizon - just like my trainer had done years before! I kept on flying. After about a minute, I figured the plane had to be on the ground. After all, it's a 60-size sport-plane with a .91 Saito up front. How far could it possibly glide? I dropped the sticks & started jogging in the direction it was heading. A couple of pilots joined me. We walked for what seemed to be ages, yet still no sight of the plane. We knew it had to be somewhere between the end of the runway & the highway that was a mile from the field. We kept walking for awhile longer. Sure enough, there she was - sitting there on her spinner & main gear at the edge of the marsh, with her nose stuck in the muck - over a half-mile downrange!

By the way she went in & the lack of tire marks, we figured that she must have still been flying just a few feet AGL, and she promptly nosed-in when I dropped the sticks. The only damage was a broken prop, cracked gear, and a crunch in the cowl. Good thing the ground was soft! I didn't think a Bingo could glide that far, but the slope was considerably steeper than I had thought. Guess I should have kept on flying her for another minute or so!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Guess I should have kept on flying her for another minute or so!
Thank you for the stories. Here is another example where it would have been better to just leave well-enough alone. It was my second time slope-soaring and the slope was right and the wind was right and I launched the Radian Pro without power and it was all too easy. I cruised around for a long time with a grin painted onto my face and took some videos and did some loops and turns into the hill and it was all good.

All this time I was under the illusion that the throttle could be activated at any moment if needed, but in fact my throttle cut switch was on and I didn't know it. Eventually overconfidence got the plane into a situation where it was behind the lift and coming down into a small hollow. Just before it disappeared from view, I hit the throttle stick but nothing happened...then I realized the throttle cut switch was on.

If I had just let it land, there probably would have been no problem and it would have been a 100 meter walk to pick it up and launch it again. As it was, I activated the throttle cut switch with the stick at max, and the motor cut in just as it was settling down onto the ground. That resulted in my first broken prop and prop adapter. Live and learn. The really stupid part is that when I had hiked almost all the way down to the truck, the realization came to me that I didn't need that prop anyway, and could still be up there having fun.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
When I first flew my Ultra Sport 60 it was a perfect "test flight" day being lovely weather and no breeze. I came in to land and crossed the threshold at about 5' and crossed the opposite side of the field (a capped landfill cell) about 4.5' for a go around. Keep in mind this was the maiden flight so I had no experience with stalls and such with it. I took it up high and practiced side slips and finally got it to the point where I was able to side slip the plane in to a landing dead stick. One other interesting feature of our field is that if you land opposite the prevailing wind, the field drops off so generally you land slightly up hill but the ground effect compensates. If the wind is opposite, you can have lots of fun because as you flair, the field slowly slopes down away from you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
I think I need a little help understanding what you mean "side slip into a dead stick." I understand a dead stick landing to be one without power, and a side slip... ? I'm trying to picture what you're saying and failing miserably.

Thanks,

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
I think I need a little help understanding what you mean "side slip into a dead stick." I understand a dead stick landing to be one without power, and a side slip... ? I'm trying to picture what you're saying and failing miserably.

Thanks,

Sam
Here is a short video of a full sized plane doing it

From the Boeing manual

It is mostly used when landing in a crosswind. You use the rudder to turn the plane off the flightpath and then use the ailerons to drop what would be the outside (in the resulting rudder turn) wingtip below horizontal. You then fly at an angle so you have more than normal of the side of the fuselage causing drag so you slow down faster than a straight in approach. The deadstick just means that you lose all power produced lift because when I set up the plane for the maiden the motor wasn't fully broken in so I had a higher than needed idle set.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,677 Posts
Side Slip Landing

Here is another Vid that shows a very exagerated side slip landing ... effective way to loose altitude without gaining tons of speed when you find yourself too high and without the option to go around. Used a LOT by glider pilots to burn off altitude and still be able to land on the "spot".

Interesting story, check out the "Gimli Glider" on google. Air Canada passenger jet looses power (in the end proved to be out of fuel due to mix up as Canada moved from Imperial to Metric systems I believe) and had to put down on an old military strip. Pilot had been making for Winnipeg, was not going to make it there, remembered the old military strip from his service days, and decided to go for it. Was too high, and applied the glider technique of SIDE SLIPPING to loose altitude while keeping speed low enough to land and stop on the runway ... but in a massive jet, not a single seat glider! Great airmanship.

Cool topic as well.

Side Slip Landing
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,421 Posts
Got working on the FPV for my now "old RadainPro" she's been through alot. so now its FPV ;0)
FPV pod for RadainPro (11 min 39 sec)

And part 2
FPV pod for RadainPro Part 2 (12 min 51 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Marlin,

That's one of my favorite extreme piloting skill stories! Happened not too far from my hometown up on the Canadian border of Minnesota. Did you know that the captain on that flight was also a sailplane pilot? He said it was his sailplane experience that allowed him to pull it off. Also, the runway was in use by a group of drag-racers at the time. They had to scatter in a hurry when they saw the heavy coming in right at them.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:43 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Starting at 4:50 minutes is the side slip 60 degree bank with good animation of what it might have looked like
*sigh* This video contains content from Smithsonian Networks, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.
RCG Plus Member