HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
If you ever get around to it, the rewards will be more than worth the effort.
yeah, I know. I just got real busy in my shop for other people. I still need to do the thrust and climb rate on that table of props I initially tested for the RP which is why it is sitting in my shop fully assembled. I have also gotten a hang scale finally to do static thrust measurements also.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
I lost my RP on Thankgiving day

This morning I had very good flights several times (taking off and landing). Suddenly, without warning, she flew away from me and disapperaed in the sky over the mountain. This is first time that I lost the plan. The altitude was about 1500 ft and the distance might be several thousand feet. The mountain is the south of the Flatiron (Rocky Mountain) in Boulder area.
I would like to find the reason to avoid future mistake. I have DX8, the firmware is new. The antenna was folding 90 degree during the flight. The Dx was DX8000. The ESC had 5V supply to Rx, but second UBEC had 5.1V to Rx as well. There is Telemitry inside the RP, so on the DX8 screen, it showed 5.1V for Rx voltage. Range check was used when I put the battery in, but not after practicing landing.
Any help would be really appreciated
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Last edited by xiaoyu80305; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
Any help would be really appreciated
I will keep my eye open for it.......'.......sorry couldn't resist that.

Had you done a range test?
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I will keep my eye open for it.......'.......sorry couldn't resist that.

Had you done a range test?
Yes, I do after every time I put the new battery in.
Last edited by xiaoyu80305; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,165 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss xiaoyu. It sounds like you were doing everything right, and then just got unlucky. I lost a plane once and looked for it for 2 hours and then it got dark. The next day, after another 3 hours of searching, I found it, unharmed.

Does your receiver have a programmable failsafe? Mine does not, but the next one I buy will for sure (such as the AR6255). I would set it to do a fairly tight spiral dive if the signal was lost and then it would be possible to have a pretty good idea of where it was.

Have you ever had any previous holds (flashing led) with that receiver?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Hello everyone,

I got the new battery pack, and WOW! What a difference! That thing will climb to the moon!

I had a friend and his sons over this afternoon and couldnít resist flying the plane for them. The video isnít that exciting (unless you know the area and want to see it from a birdís eye) but I posted it online.

No need to watch the whole thing. But I will say I climbed up to altitude, then let him take controls around 2:18, at which point it dive-bombed and I resumed control around 2:31Ö. !!!

I was impressed by how high-quality the video is, and by how quickly the plane moves through the sky. Also it would take forever to bring this thing down without flaps!

Again, thanks everyone for all the help on this venture!

Sam

By the way, sorry about the loss of the plane. I haven't set failsafe on mine; I presume you put in a little up elevator and a little rudder right (or left) so that it comes down in a tight circle? What you don't want is for it to come down fast...

Radian Pro with GoPro Hero 2 (6 min 21 sec)
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
Here it is. I couldn't get much elevation; seemed pretty underpowered. And listen to the prop; I thought it sounded a little funny. ESC issues?

I think the earlier issue (porpoising) may have been a binding rod on the elevator; I will polish soon.

Thanks for any and all feedback. Interestingly I never understood the term "wing tip stall" but I do now!

Sam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCz1S...ature=youtu.be

I know you have already gotten a lot of feedback on this so sorry for chiming in late but had to tell ya that I used to have a noise like that on my RP and what it was , was a crack in the firewall allowing the motor to flex. I kept glueing the firewall which helped but did not last. Eventually after a bad crash I wound up rebuilding the front with new prop, adaptor , and a new fuselage after cracking mine so bad that it could not be repaired. Now the RP flies like new. Just put in two days with it out here in the countryside where I was able to find some rather large fields to do some serious high soaring with it and for some long extended flights since I was not sharing a flying field with anyone. Anyway just a thought, you may have already checked fot the firewall but if not grab ahold of the prop/spinner and see if there is any side to side play in it. That was how I found the crack in my firewall
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
I think the noise stopped once I got a better battery actually (?!?).

Two dumb things I did and one comment:
1. About the third time I flew this, on a chilly overcast day, I was flying above my head (without GoPro attached), and doing slow circles (right stick only), maybe 300-400 feet, and it kept going up, up, up, and I started thinking, "NO WAY! I have already found a thermal, and this weather is NOT great thermal weather. This thing is AWESOME!" I kept watching it climb and then... touched the left stick and realized I had the throttle all the way up. Whoops!

2. Today I went to a different location WITH the GoPro to fly (20 minute drive), and when I got there... I had left the SD card at home in my computer. Doh! So I didn't get any video today, just went ahead and flew in the 45 degree overcast skies.

And (the comment): It was a blast. I have had a few other planes, but this one I have just really enjoyed. I think part of it is the light wingloading (so I can cut the throttle and glide around for quite a while before having to hit the throttle again), and part of it is the large size... there's something about flying such a big bird, that even when it's pretty far away from you it is not out of sight.

Ok, that's my commentary for today...

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
I think the noise stopped once I got a better battery actually (?!?).

Two dumb things I did and one comment:
1. About the third time I flew this, on a chilly overcast day, I was flying above my head (without GoPro attached), and doing slow circles (right stick only), maybe 300-400 feet, and it kept going up, up, up, and I started thinking, "NO WAY! I have already found a thermal, and this weather is NOT great thermal weather. This thing is AWESOME!" I kept watching it climb and then... touched the left stick and realized I had the throttle all the way up. Whoops!

2. Today I went to a different location WITH the GoPro to fly (20 minute drive), and when I got there... I had left the SD card at home in my computer. Doh! So I didn't get any video today, just went ahead and flew in the 45 degree overcast skies.

And (the comment): It was a blast. I have had a few other planes, but this one I have just really enjoyed. I think part of it is the light wingloading (so I can cut the throttle and glide around for quite a while before having to hit the throttle again), and part of it is the large size... there's something about flying such a big bird, that even when it's pretty far away from you it is not out of sight.

Ok, that's my commentary for today...

Sam
Ha ha....I've done bonehead No. 1 before.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Ha ha....I've done bonehead No. 1 before.
Yeah, we used to call them "Thumb Thermals" (because "dumb thermals" was too harsh)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Yeah, we used to call them "Thumb Thermals" (because "dumb thermals" was too harsh)
I did that once also, but my experience was very different. All of a sudden the plane started acting crazy and making moves it had never made before. At one point it was upside down, and I thought there must be a broken linkage or something wrong with the radio. I was stunned for several seconds thinking I had completely lost control of it, and it was on it's way down fast. Finally I could hear the motor running and I clued into what was happening.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
and I should say I mean dumb thermals because of how dumb you feel when you realize what is going on

Quote:
I did that once also, but my experience was very different. All of a sudden the plane started acting crazy and making moves it had never made before. At one point it was upside down, and I thought there must be a broken linkage or something wrong with the radio. I was stunned for several seconds thinking I had completely lost control of it, and it was on it's way down fast. Finally I could hear the motor running and I clued into what was happening.
Was it just the additional speed making things much more effective?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Was it just the additional speed making things much more effective?
That's all it was. I never motor around with this plane, and the only time I ever use max throttle is when it is going straight up. I guess it's ok to fly with throttle if you know you are doing it. It was way up there and dancing around like crazy and I couldn't figure out what was happening at first. This plane is definitely not made for WOT high-G maneuvers.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry to hear of your loss xiaoyu. It sounds like you were doing everything right, and then just got unlucky. I lost a plane once and looked for it for 2 hours and then it got dark. The next day, after another 3 hours of searching, I found it, unharmed.

Does your receiver have a programmable failsafe? Mine does not, but the next one I buy will for sure (such as the AR6255). I would set it to do a fairly tight spiral dive if the signal was lost and then it would be possible to have a pretty good idea of where it was.

Have you ever had any previous holds (flashing led) with that receiver?
I wish I had luck like you: "found it, unharmed". DX8 has a programmable failsafe, but I had never looked into it. I guess I will study it in my future plane. The antenna could set to straight or 90 degree, how much different does it make for the signal strength?
Last edited by xiaoyu80305; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
I wish I had luck like you: "found it, unharmed". DX8 has a programmable failsafe, but I had never looked into it. I guess I will study it in my future plane. The antenna could set to straight or 90 degree, how much different does it make for the signal strength?
There was some luck involved for sure, but a great deal of effort and bashing through bushes was also required. I tied ribbons onto trees to keep track of where I had been.

The failsafe is a function of the receiver, and not the transmitter. The stock receiver does not have it, and I don't believe the AR8000 has it either. All they do when the signal is lost is cut the throttle. I now have an AR6210 which has a satellite and works great, but it also has no programmable failsafe. As far as I know the AR6255 is the step up to this feature.

Did you have a look for the plane?