HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Awesome Sam, glad you got her in the air...at first i was thinking it was LVC. (a pulsing sound you head then your battery gets near 3.0v) which is pre programmed in the esc.
But then it seems to go away..you would not of been able to run the motor that long
with it pulsing like that...
Let my friend fly mine last year and put in a discharged battery..normally i give it a good bust of thr before take off which you would hear is anything was abnormal. He did but just a little burp..not enough to hear it
Crash is at the end..this is what i call wing tip stall ;0(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Pb5FeJI5TCo

as for that noise..it should like something is rubbing against something maybe? have you taken apart the nose section like the spinner and stuff? seeing its was bought second hand...you never know if the org owner did anything maintenance on her...i did even when it was new out of the box... you never know if your plane was slapped together on a Friday evening..

wait...they work 7 days a week in Asia don't they?

If you are going to be carrying the GoPro around it is quite heavy and the Parkzone batts are not the greatest...
I noticed you were asking about props...get a Graupner10x8 I'll email you with some links.
also not sure if you have ordered from HobbyKing before, thats where i get all my batterys. Only down fall is you well have to swap out that blue ec3 connector for a XT60 or buy the adaptor...but a higher C rated battery is highly recommended
The turnigy 20-30c 2200mah 3S are a great bang for the buck...I also have a 30-50 c one and its send mine skywards pretty fast even with the BIG billboard sign of a camera and is by far the best...;0)

Yours seems to be trimmed out nice..but i noticed you have a bit of a high sink rate? Did you noticed you were having to hold back on the elev stick?... you may want to get up, cut your thr and start trimming in some up elev until you notice she levels out with minimal sink. If you go to far(to much trim you well stall and start Porpoising
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Nov 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
PS...noticed there are some post while i was writing...

you are getting some great info here from the the radian pro masters \\ good to see this thread is still going and people are willing to help people new to it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
There is one more thing I saw in the video which looked unusual. There are a couple of times near the end where the motor stops, at 3:50 and 4:30. If you look at the prop as it folds back, it appears to curve outward. Mine definitely does not look like that, and curves slightly inward.

Maybe it is just an illusion caused by the fisheye lens. If it is not an illusion, it might explain the vibration that we hear.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
WOW! Thanks everybody! You're all a wealth of information!

Yes, the battery was used (I bought it used with the plane), and it is a little bit puffy. So it might be part of the problem.

However, I did order this battery a few days ago: 2200mAh 3S 11.1V 30C LiPo, 13AWG EC3 (E-Flite)

It should be here soon, and when it gets here I look forward to trying it out. I will also check the screws and attachments, and likely buy a new prop. I sure wish I had a LHS as it stinks to have to wait for stuff... I'll order a new prop when I get a chance.

[I think another thing that might be going on is a little fuse warpage so that my angle of incidence on my wing and horiz stabilizer are not perfect. I had to put in quite a bit of down on my elevator to get it to fly level; this may be contributing to drag thus a high sink rate (?) ]

Again, thanks everyone!!!

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
300 Posts
I had that sound on my plane also, I found the motor screws loose, which i tightened. (Don't use locktite tho.. It will melt the plastic). I also overlapped white electricians tape around the entire cowling where it meets the foam.. no more weird noises...

You may want to upgrade the spinner and prop though. My original ones didn't last long and seems to be a 'weak link'..
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
The gold foil packs seem to be weaker than the tape style. Others have reported the difference between them. Neither type is top quality. After a year of use, with tender care and feeding, they'd faded, badly. They'll get you started flying our RP. Don't expect them to work well using an after-market prop.
Interesting. I don't use the stock pack anymore, anyway. I tried it once & knew that I didn't want to fly with it again. Good packs really make a difference - even with the stock prop. I've had a number of guys at the field ask me why mine climbs faster & more steeply than theirs. The only difference is that I'm using decent 35c packs. Fortunately, I can use the Thunder Power 1300 65c 3s packs that I bought for my Blade 300X & Losi Mini 8ight, and I can also use my Thunder Power 2250 65c 3s packs from my PA Extra 260. I also have a couple of older NRG 1300 35c packs from an old heli that still perform reasonably well.

Here's how mine climbs out with nothing but a nearly 3-year-old NRG 1300 35c pack. Maiden flight. My very first flight with a powered sailplane.

ParkZone Radian Pro maiden flight (15 min 47 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Good packs really make a difference - even with the stock prop. I've had a number of guys at the field ask me why mine climbs faster & more steeply than theirs. The only difference is that I'm using decent 35c packs.
Agreed!! I have been flying the Radian and Radian Pro with 1000 mah 50c packs and the difference is astounding. There is nothing like having a setup that is both lighter and more powerful than stock. Have you tried the CF wing spar yet?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Update:

No loose screws.

I did have the 9.75x7.5_1 prop on there. However the gentleman who sold it included generic 10x8 props, which I just put on (I had to drill out the holes to make the pin fit in there).

I took out the elevator wire, sanded it well, lubed it with bike-chain oil, and put it back in.

Hopefully will get the new battery soon. Will try to decide if it's worth flying tomorrow with old battery or not, depending on wind. My guess is the battery I have is just shot.

Thanks again all,

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
sounds good, just keep an eye on the oil ..after awhile it well gum up from cold/dirt. There is a dry lube you can get. forget the name on it now..

All i did was sand that old crap paint on them and was fine.

But if you ever want a silky smooth elev..tear out the stock on and get a Gold n Rod.. i installed one a few months ago. Its very smooth now.

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/GoldnRodContent.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,563 Posts
Has anyone done a pull-pull rudder mod on the RP? It was always my linkage of choice and with Kevlar fishing line, there is no stretch issues like there used to be
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Has anyone done a pull-pull rudder mod on the RP? It was always my linkage of choice and with Kevlar fishing line, there is no stretch issues like there used to be
The non-stretch kevlar line might be undone by the flexible fuselage. When I do my pre-flight test on the Radian Pro, you can see that when the elevator is activated, the fuselage bends sideways. This is in spite of an 8" CF rod that I put in there to stiffen the rear of the fuselage.

Then when I got the standard Radian, I decided to do it better. The stock spar was removed from the underside of the fuselage and replaced with a 23" arrow shaft. That fuse is way stiffer than the RP fuse. Also, I moved the elevator horn inboard to straighten out the control rod forces. When I check the elevator throw on this plane, there is no visible sideways deflection of the fuselage. If you decide to put a pull-pull system on there, it would make sense to take the flex out of the fuselage as well.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Here's how mine climbs out with nothing but a nearly 3-year-old NRG 1300 35c pack. Maiden flight. My very first flight with a powered sailplane.

Joel
Nice, Joel. Which pixel was it in that video?

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The non-stretch kevlar line might be undone by the flexible fuselage. When I do my pre-flight test on the Radian Pro, you can see that when the elevator is activated, the fuselage bends sideways. This is in spite of an 8" CF rod that I put in there to stiffen the rear of the fuselage.

Then when I got the standard Radian, I decided to do it better. The stock spar was removed from the underside of the fuselage and replaced with a 23" arrow shaft. That fuse is way stiffer than the RP fuse. Also, I moved the elevator horn inboard to straighten out the control rod forces. When I check the elevator throw on this plane, there is no visible sideways deflection of the fuselage. If you decide to put a pull-pull system on there, it would make sense to take the flex out of the fuselage as well.
Yeah, I have a square 10mm CF tube for the fuselage stiffener in my "Round Tuit" pile. Haven't even managed to swap the CF wing spar I bought yet either. I've been carting the plane around fully assembled but have been busy this month. Still shopping for those pesky round tuits
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
If you ever get around to it, the rewards will be more than worth the effort.