SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:07 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
If it's just wing flex you want to get rid of, a CF wing spar will totally take care of that, and actually make the plane lighter. If you want to land the plane on rocks then laminating it might make sense.
It would b more for durability. As far as carbon goes, do u just cut the fiberglass ones out or leave em
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:41 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
It would b more for durability. As far as carbon goes, do u just cut the fiberglass ones out or leave em
No just leave em. I am talking about the tubular FG wing spar which is removable. Durability is a separate issue, and I know what you mean because lately I have been slope-soaring at a location where the landings are not exactly friendly. There are sharp rocks that can cause damage. Rather than armor plating the plane, my strategy has been to try to hand-catch it instead. Learning that skill takes it's own toll on the plane, but I believe in the end, that having a light floaty plane is better than a heavy strong one.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I agree, i already put a carbon tybe inside of the stock tube, it was a piece of landing gear from my xaircraft gimbal (junk gimbal lol) wings are pretty good now
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
EC, those LEDs look AWESOME! Have you thought about putting any on the top of the wings? To help orientation when you're banking in a turn ?

--
Greg
That's man! There are lights on the top, just can't see em.

Radian Pro Night flying (4 min 36 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
322 Posts
EC, do you have a link for the lites ?
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Accs_.html

If your doing any bit of sodering i would also get a few of there 22gauge silicone wire. Comes in 1m sections
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...esh_Guard.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Accs_.html

If your doing any bit of sodering i would also get a few of there 22gauge silicone wire. Comes in 1m sections
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...esh_Guard.html
I have found (at least with the heatshrink they sell) that if you order several meters, they ship it as a single piece. No guaranties of course
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:47 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I have found (at least with the heatshrink they sell) that if you order several meters, they ship it as a single piece. No guaranties of course
Yea they never with the wire i ordered, i never have ordered heat shrink from HK
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:27 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Yea they never with the wire i ordered, i never have ordered heat shrink from HK
I've had good luck with the heat shrink and at $0.25/meter it was worth the chance. I have most of the sizes and colors now. I swear the cost of shipping is as much as the product but even still, $0.50/meter shipped is much cheaper than the local retail options. Then again, I am a manufacturer so I go through quite a bit of it. Having the various sizes in my shop has lead me to find additional uses for it
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
308 Posts
I was kite boarding a while back, and Lost my Right leg and knee-brace.
Another kite-boarder, put on his diving tanks and retrieved it for me.

I want to teach him to fly a glider and have all the JR trainer cord
equipment to with.

Would this be an OK glider to teach with ? The leg he retrieved was
worth a Lot of money so i Don't want to buy him a (POS) ! I also don't
mind spending the time to teach him as long as he ends up with a decent
glider that he can enjoy for a while.

Thanks Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
ahhhh first off where do oyu buy right legs? and i would think they cost a lot? Sorry...

yes the RP is great...you could even pass the controller back and forth to...but yea onthe trainer with her is great

i was teaching a gentleman this summer past how to fly with it...hes older and can manage to fly for a bit but if the plane gets ahead of him he loose's it...

i would go for it...even the original Radian might be best for a first glider...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Getting ready to fly...

Hello all...

I received the bird (used) in the mail today and am putting it together with my NEW Dx7s... below is the e-mail I sent to the gentleman (from this forum) who is helping me, but I'm posting it here too in case any of you have any advice... thanks in advance. Sorry I should add that he sent me his file which I downloaded onto my DX7s, which was VERY helpful:

The bird arrived today in good condition. I just spent the last half hour trying to get all the pieces in, but I've got a couple questions:

The aileron leads go to the "Y" harness (I assume). Then I plug this into the aileron slot on my receiver. And they seem to work, but this is just the two outer servos (meaning further out on the wing, not the two close to the fuse). I have, remaining, a servo link from each wing (for the servos closer to the fuse). Do I plug these into gear, Aux 1, Aux 2, or Aux 3? I assume the right goes into one and the left into another, if you could get me this info that would be great. I presume that there will be some mixing (which you have programmed in?) so both the servos on each wing steer with aileron input? (I did plug, I believe the left wing into Aux 1, and when I moved the aileron stick it almost ripped the control horn out of the surface because it was wrenching so much... I may have to turn that down!)

Also, my aileron servos are not zero'd (i.e. one looks perfect, the other is off a bit). I know I can control this with trim but am concerned that I will always have each a little off... how do I balance these out? (And you can just refer me to a post online if that's easier!)

Also do I put the battery as far towards the front as I can? There are two slots with velcro to hold the battery in: one more forward (the velcro isn't long enough to go around the battery) and one more rearword (this one IS big enough to go around the battery).

Thanks again SO MUCH for the help!

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Sep 2010
569 Posts
Assuming you have the BnF model (with AR600 RX preinstalled), you have enough channels to control three wing surfaces. That's two ailerons (outer surfaces) and two flaps (inner surfaces) with a Y-cable connecting both flap servos to a single RX channel.

IIRC, remove the aileron Y-cable, you don't need it. Connect the right aileron servo cable to the RX's ail channel, and the left aileron to RX's AUX1 channel. The Y-cable connected to both flap servos should be plugged in to the RX's Gear channel.

For this to work correctly your TX must be set to the correct "Wing Type": two aileron one flap. This may seem confusing, because the RP's wing contains four servos, but the flaps are driven together acting as one due to the Y-cable.

As for battery placement, that depends on your RP. They're assembled in a hurry, and vary from glider to glider. Some, like mine are tail heavy due to extra glue inside the tail area. Mine balances best with the battery further forward than others I've seen. Start by using the 70mm balance point outlined in the manual, this method uncovers your RP's build differences - tail heavy vs. nose heavy.

Enjoy your RP!
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:32 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
I am the gentleman (from this forum) who is helping him along... lol

i think we got it...its just the aero head DX7 setup from Radain-Pro.com.
im using on my 7s with a few tweaks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
308 Posts
Quote:
ahhhh first off where do oyu buy right legs? and i would think they cost a lot? Sorry...

i would go for it...even the original Radian might be best for a first glider...
That was "Funny" !!
I got My leg(s) at Wall-Mart ; here is what happened :
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpr...e-billy-floyd/

I figured it would take a bit longer to teach him with the Pro, than it
would if i used the original Radian. I'll give him my old Jr-388 & teach
him how to set up 3deg of flap with 2deg reflex on the ailerons ; dog
it right out till he gets better on it. I Like how that old radio will allow a program
to trim down as Ya add in the throttle. Parts look inexpensive and i like
the Look of this plane !!

Is the 1300mah battery , big enough ?

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly