HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
If you want to ignore the 72 MHz option, which is perfectly fine, I would not put money into the 5X. I would get a new radio.

Now, new 2.4 GHz radios cost from $100 to $3000 so you better give us some idea of your budget. But I will point out that HH has an outstanding offer on the DX7s right now. $300 with 3 receivers. The DX7s, as part of that package, is about $100. An excellent buy.

Check with your local hobby shop to see if he has these or can get them for you. I always recommend buying local if you can. Then, if you have a question you can ask for help.

So you could buy the BnF version, the DX7s, bind it and fly it.

And you would have 3 receivers to put in your other planes.

That would be a great package.
DX7s
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-md2-SPM7800C

DX7 set-up instructions for the Radian Pro
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/Radi..._DX7_setup.pdf

Radian BnF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
Thanks for the info. Just ordered the special deal tonight. Would like to support my LHS but there is not one inside 100 miles of here (Wyoming!).

I also ordered a radian pro used off this site; hope it all goes together nicely; I already have the GoPro Hero2 so hope to post videos soon! Thanks everyone for the help,

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Right on Easter!!! Nice evening flight!! Even taking flak during your night sortie!!! That gun shot was a crack up!

And go figure, finally decide on a camera and here comes the GoPro3, LOL!! Always the case, something better comes along after ya make a purchase, LOL!! Good videos as usual and nice cordinated turns with your RUDD!!!
thanks coco, yea i hear ya!! cameras are getting jsut as bad phone/appleproducts.

When i was reviewing the footage i heard the sound but it did not dawn on me what it was...i was stumped..untill one of my subscribers called it out...crazyness!!

The rudd turns are mixed

Check your Yahoo mail and see what im working on with the RP
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff View Post
Thanks for the info. Just ordered the special deal tonight. Would like to support my LHS but there is not one inside 100 miles of here (Wyoming!).

I also ordered a radian pro used off this site; hope it all goes together nicely; I already have the GoPro Hero2 so hope to post videos soon! Thanks everyone for the help,

Sam
Let me know if you want my file to try...save it to your SD card and installed it in your model memory. PM me for details on it, when you get your DX7s.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:56 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
The rudd turns are mixed

Check your Yahoo mail and see what im working on with the RP
LOL, how long have i known you and I NEVER new you mixed your RUDD!!! Hilarious!!

Responded to your mail, too cool!!! Can't wait!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
LOL, how long have i known you and I NEVER new you mixed your RUDD!!! Hilarious!!

Responded to your mail, too cool!!! Can't wait!
haha yea i have it on a switch so i can turn it on/off ;0) when i do turn it off, it flip another switch and that enables Differential

Thanks!! its going to be quite the Project!! ;0) But going to be super cool!! I'm just working out the details to get the DragonLink and OSD shortly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:37 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenironside View Post
Hi Danny,

I used magnets at the l/e and just behind the spar for wing fixing, e.g. http://wifly.co.za/products/8077-str...x#.UJdee8XMjng
and I did the Multiplex plug mod and now assembly/dis-assembly is a two minute job, no fuss. e.g. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465058

Regards, Ken (Sedgefield)
I tried the Multiplex plugs but for some reason I could not fathom that when they were connected I could not get the Rx to initialize. I checked and double checked the wiring for the correct connections without success. In fact I did not even have to have the wings connected and the Rx would still not initialize. If I disconnected the flap and aileron wires from the Rx it would initialize. I connected the servo wires to the Multiplex plugs using "normal" servo female plug which I found fitted nicely over the male prongs of the Multiplex plug with heatshrink over them. Any ideas anyone?

By the way I have in the meantime gone back to normal servo plugs with the same Rx and everything works OK.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:57 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I tried the Multiplex plugs but for some reason I could not fathom that when they were connected I could not get the Rx to initialize. I checked and double checked the wiring for the correct connections without success. In fact I did not even have to have the wings connected and the Rx would still not initialize. If I disconnected the flap and aileron wires from the Rx it would initialize. I connected the servo wires to the Multiplex plugs using "normal" servo female plug which I found fitted nicely over the male prongs of the Multiplex plug with heatshrink over them. Any ideas anyone?

By the way I have in the meantime gone back to normal servo plugs with the same Rx and everything works OK.
I would suggest actually soldering them to the pins. you have to group the negs together and group the pos together(from each servo) then solder each group to a pin.. then you need to solder each signal wire to a pin each. you just have to make sure the ail and flap signal is connected to the ail and flap...if oyu cross them, then you pop your flap switch, your ail are going to move and vise versa!!
I made a bo bo in the pic...i said Ail and RUDD it meant Flap lol you can disregard the Pos and Neg on the 2 other pins as that is for the LEDS on each wing ;0)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Nov 07, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:40 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Thanks Eastcoast for taking the trouble to reply. Can you explain why grouping the Pos+ and Neg- wires would make a difference? I can accept soldering might provide a better connection but surely a poor connection would not stop the Rx initializing? I am easily confused on electrical matters.

By the way the connection is made a lot easier by the new housing, http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex...sing-pair.aspx.

I mounted these on the fuselage on some 2 mm ply CA'd to the foam next to the securing lug. The housing is a bit fragile and you have to be careful you do not split it when you push the plug into it.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:55 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Eastcoast for taking the trouble to reply. Can you explain why grouping the Pos+ and Neg- wires would make a difference? I can accept soldering might provide a better connection but surely a poor connection would not stop the Rx initializing? I am easily confused on electrical matters.

By the way the connection is made a lot easier by the new housing, http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex...sing-pair.aspx.

I mounted these on the fuselage on some 2 mm ply CA'd to the foam next to the securing lug. The housing is a bit fragile and you have to be careful you do not split it when you push the plug into it.
No trouble at all!
Basically the whole reason to mod to this plug is to make it quicker and simpler to connect 2 servos via one plug. On this 6 pin you could have every servo wire separate and still work..as along as no Pos/neg were crossed and/or the signals were mix matched.
But oyu could have a neg from the flap cross with the neg form the ail from the RX with no ill effect.
Also i may add! usually it was a 4 pin connector is very popular where you would have to group the pos/neg together! then use the remaining 2 pins for your 2 signal wires.

So you were saying you have no power when you connected the servo plugs? the way the pattern of the pins on these 6 pins..i cant see how a servo lead would lines up...

regardless your RX get power via the ESC servo lead... so your ail and flap connections should have no effect?
im just brain storming here as its 5:23am...i should go to bed haha
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:17 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Time for you to either go to bed or go to work!

The way I connected it is easy to follow the wires through the Multiplex plug...pos to pos, neg to neg and signal to signal. One group of three prongs were aileron and the other group of three were flap. As I said I do not even have to connect the plug to the wing (flaps and aileron) and the RX will not initialize. It blinks a couple of times and then nothing. If I disconnect the Multiplex plug from the Rx the Rx will initialize.

I will try soldering and see what happens.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:22 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Time for you to either go to bed or go to work!

The way I connected it is easy to follow the wires through the Multiplex plug...pos to pos, neg to neg and signal to signal. One group of three prongs were aileron and the other group of three were flap. As I said I do not even have to connect the plug to the wing (flaps and aileron) and the RX will not initialize. It blinks a couple of times and then nothing. If I disconnect the Multiplex plug from the Rx the Rx will initialize.

I will try soldering and see what happens.
haha yea bed for me...i get off work at 1am '0) If flights are on time

Id like to see a pic to understand what you were trying to do...pictures speak a thousand words!! so they say!
try soldering it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
haha yea i have it on a switch so i can turn it on/off ;0) when i do turn it off, it flip another switch and that enables Differential

Thanks!! its going to be quite the Project!! ;0) But going to be super cool!! I'm just working out the details to get the DragonLink and OSD shortly!
I think I'll give the AIL-RUDD mix a try! And I can not wait to see your next FPV!!!!! It's gonna be so killer!!!!

GO TO BED!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Any of you guys laminate ypur wings? Just finished lamming my zephyr, thought about wrapping the radian pro wings with some light weight 3 mil
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Any of you guys laminate ypur wings? Just finished lamming my zephyr, thought about wrapping the radian pro wings with some light weight 3 mil
If it's just wing flex you want to get rid of, a CF wing spar will totally take care of that, and actually make the plane lighter. If you want to land the plane on rocks then laminating it might make sense.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
662 Posts
Quote:
.....LEDS on each wing ;0)
EC, those LEDs look AWESOME! Have you thought about putting any on the top of the wings? To help orientation when you're banking in a turn ?

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism