SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:56 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Glad you sorted it.

Note to self: Mr. L and Mr. B, you were both so right.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Nov 04, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Something a bit different..ohh listen for the gun shots

If you link off to Youtube and watch it, the times are listed..one of my Subscribers noticed them
RadianPro Tail View (11 min 53 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Nov 04, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
I've finally pinpointed the problem that frustrated me to the point of almost getting rid of the RP.
It turned out that the elevator servo was not centering. (stock servo)

I replaced it and at the same time lubricated the push rod to reduce the friction in the guiding tube.
Glad to hear you didn't give up. The pushrods are coated with a sticky black substance (why?) and if you sand them until they become shiny silver, no lubrication is necessary. It's the stickiness of the black stuff that causes the problem.

I also had a servo not centering on the rudder of my RP after flying it for a couple of weeks. I put a mark on the spline and was able to determine that it was the arm slipping on the spline that was the problem. I found a larger screw and forced it in nice and tight and figured that was the solution, but it still slipped. Then I put some CA on the spline (not the screw hole) and that fixed it. The splines on this servo have finer teeth than others I have seen, and probably strip more easily.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:20 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Thanks Jovan_x,
for now the copper-slip is doing the job and a 5$ servo was not something a huge expense.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:31 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jovan_x,
for now the copper-slip is doing the job and a 5$ servo was not something a huge expense.

sanding the Push rods was the first thing i did way back when the RP came to the mass's almost 2 years now wow...where do time go...

I've sense switch to gold n rods...they are 12 bucks each but are worth it
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:23 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Radain Pro is awesome for the GoPro or other cameras. I've gotten some steller shots and videos over the last 2 years...not bragging or anything

Upgraded 10x8 prop on a 30-50c battery is key though if you want to get up there fast.. if i put a 20c batt in i fell like falling asleep as it climbs to 800+agl ;0) I only use 2200mah's in her! i used to run some 1800mah's but they started getting tired
I posted this awhile ago but heres one of my latests flicks...
you can tell when im using/have reflex/camber on, as you can here the digital flaps servos singing. I have it on the dial (DX7s), full CCW gives 100% reflex and full CW gives full camber. Only a about 6mm i do believe at full throw.

I have it activated on the MIX switch beside it. So i can either turn on/off or just centre the dial(it emits a beep when at centre (12 o'clock) so you know)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRkZ8qWFp9E
Sweet, does the gopro on its back cause a ton of wing flex... Or u just avoid any hard vertical decents? Im debating putting my gopro on mine and runnin a vtx to it for laughs
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
One dislike is the diffulty getting the wings mounted and the servo-wires tucked in, space is really insuficient.
Also I need to sort out a more user-friendly fastening method for the wings.
Hi Danny,

I used magnets at the l/e and just behind the spar for wing fixing, e.g. http://wifly.co.za/products/8077-str...x#.UJdee8XMjng
and I did the Multiplex plug mod and now assembly/dis-assembly is a two minute job, no fuss. e.g. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465058

Regards, Ken (Sedgefield)
kenironside is offline Find More Posts by kenironside
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:57 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Sweet, does the gopro on its back cause a ton of wing flex... Or u just avoid any hard vertical decents? Im debating putting my gopro on mine and runnin a vtx to it for laughs
Yea when the cam is on i don't over do it per say! Usually its just for nice stable recording But i have put her in some high speed dives

Im about to link every RadainPro video on my blog...good lord that is going to be a lot of footage...well be a nice montage though.

FPV..yes..i am so temped to make up a mock /scale cockpit of a glider or something and stick my small fpv cam in there as to look like in.
was thinking of doing it with a small doll figure so it looks like this but in a glider!
FPV Flight, chasing plane, having fun (7 min 29 sec)

Cant believe i turned down a crashed RP a few months ago..my friend put his in!! he bought it second hand for under 100bucks. so he was fed up with it and passed it to me and was like...here take this, you can have it for the parts or fix it up..it wasn't in to bad of shape either...;0(

But with the amount of planes i have now..i turned it down and my other friend took it..tossed the fuse and wings in the trash....

Still kicking my self for that brain fart!! But we fly together a lot and im going to see if he wants to part with the motor/esc to make a good fpv platform...he said today he has no use for it...
winter is coming and i need something to keep myself busy!!

With something similar to this or make one my self if i can't find one to fit!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pit_ASW28.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:22 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
used magnets at the l/e and just behind the spar for wing fixing, e.g. http://wifly.co.za/products/8077-str...x#.UJdee8XMjng
and I did the Multiplex plug mod and now assembly/dis-assembly is a two minute job, no fuss
Thanks,
I like the idea and I have some magnets from an old outrunner motor.
I'll install them before the weekend.

I may also cut a little foam away to make space for the servo leads.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Eastcoast - do you have a link for the instruments?

Thanks.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:54 AM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
ESC placement

bought a used Radian Pro few months back & not knowing anyone else with one have gotten some great info on this site in setting it up. Just bought a DX7s to see how camber & reflex effect the flight. a friend just bought a used one over the weekend and while helping him set his up noticed his ESC was placed right behind the motor / in front of the battery. mine is tucked into the well behind the battery in front of the servo compartment. I also have a YAK 54 and the ESC is located there (lower air hole behind the battery) so I thought it was right. which is correct or how do they come from the factory? havent put that many flights on mine since i got it but dont want to burn up ESC due to lack of good air flow.
Thanks.
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:43 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
The stock location for the esc is between the motor and battery. Maybe the previous owner was trying to shift some weight rearward, because this plane is nose-heavy.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Eastcoast - do you have a link for the instruments?

Thanks.

Rick
those are cool aren't they...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:23 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Right on Easter!!! Nice evening flight!! Even taking flak during your night sortie!!! That gun shot was a crack up!

And go figure, finally decide on a camera and here comes the GoPro3, LOL!! Always the case, something better comes along after ya make a purchase, LOL!! Good videos as usual and nice cordinated turns with your RUDD!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 05, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: words added