HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
207 Posts
So, Clif, ...has the decalage between Hstab and wing been off by much on the pro when you measure at the root of the main?

--Jason

Oh, and the servos have held up fine on mine, even without covers.
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,046 Posts
I was thinking of getting a Radian PNP or PZ T-28 as a something different to have at the field in addition to my RP. I was leaning toward the Radian since it would use all the batteries I already have. But I've seen how nice and fun the T-28 is but would have to get more 1800-2200 batteries. Any thoughts?
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I was thinking of getting a Radian PNP or PZ T-28 as a something different to have at the field in addition to my RP. I was leaning toward the Radian since it would use all the batteries I already have. But I've seen how nice and fun the T-28 is but would have to get more 1800-2200 batteries. Any thoughts?
what need is the RP not fulfilling? My thought is the Radian would be redundant
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Most of us would probably do one of each.

Or, already have.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
But I've seen how nice and fun the T-28 is but would have to get more 1800-2200 batteries. Any thoughts?
You can run those in your RP, too.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
A Radian in addition to a Radian Pro is definitely not redundant. They are very different airplanes, and each can do things the other one cannot. I like them both for different reasons. The Radian floats much better especially in light lift. It is slower and more friendly to land or catch in small spaces. You can relax much more than you can with the RP, and even hand your transmitter to someone who has never flown before.

On the other hand, the RP can do many things the Radian cannot do.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
A Radian in addition to a Radian Pro is definitely not redundant. They are very different airplanes, and each can do things the other one cannot. I like them both for different reasons. The Radian floats much better especially in light lift. It is slower and more friendly to land or catch in small spaces. You can relax much more than you can with the RP, and even hand your transmitter to someone who has never flown before.

On the other hand, the RP can do many things the Radian cannot do.
Thank you. I just see the things the Radian can't do compared to the Pro and would miss them due to my background with gliders
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,046 Posts
So I do know I run the larger batteries in the Pro, I have a 2100 pack for heavy wind days. But in light wind days the heavy pack is useless as the plane sinks too fast and I end up motoring around the entire time.

I've flown with the Radian guys and they do float much easier in the light lift conditions we have at our field. Which is why I was interested in one. I also have a few smaller fields I would like to fly in that I don't feel comfortable with the RP in.

To make matters worse I was also considering the PZ BL P-51, but I would have to add wheels for our paved runway...
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Jun 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
So, Clif, ...has the decalage between Hstab and wing been off by much on the pro when you measure at the root of the main?

--Jason

Oh, and the servos have held up fine on mine, even without covers.
Well, I should have prefaced my comments. I fly a Radian, not the pro, so I can't comment on that particular bird. My new Radian had 2 degrees of decalage out of the box, measured on the main wing about 2 inches or so from the fuse. I set the decalage angle to 0.5 degrees using the light weight bubble level method because the weight of the Robart on the stab caused it to bend. Even the fuse twisted a little. I never felt confident that I could get it right. In fact initially my measurement was off and caused me to cut too much. I realized my mistake after I used the level to check my setup and had to undo things. Once I flight test the Radian I plan to inject some Gorilla glue or calk into the slot to fix things.

Right now my mind is on a leaky hot water heater, so flying will have to wait.

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Well, I should have prefaced my comments. I fly a Radian, not the pro, so I can't comment on that particular bird. My new Radian had 2 degrees of decalage out of the box, measured on the main wing about 2 inches or so from the fuse. I set the decalage angle to 0.5 degrees using the light weight bubble level method because the weight of the Robart on the stab caused it to bend. Even the fuse twisted a little. I never felt confident that I could get it right. In fact initially my measurement was off and caused me to cut too much. I realized my mistake after I used the level to check my setup and had to undo things. Once I flight test the Radian I plan to inject some Gorilla glue or calk into the slot to fix things.

Right now my mind is on a leaky hot water heater, so flying will have to wait.

Cliff
That is why I suggested checking the stab decalage both upright and inverted and then average the position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
539 Posts
Comments? I have a RP that I needed to rework a bit from some recent abuse. I am remounting the nose cone/motor mount and noticed a pretty large amount of down and right thrust angle molded into the piece. Since I've made some mods in decalage and balance, should I shim the motor mount to a more neutral thrust angle?

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn8uay View Post
Comments? I have a RP that I needed to rework a bit from some recent abuse. I am remounting the nose cone/motor mount and noticed a pretty large amount of down and right thrust angle molded into the piece. Since I've made some mods in decalage and balance, should I shim the motor mount to a more neutral thrust angle?

Jim
I wouldn't. it seems to fly pretty well under power with that setup
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Hey all. My DX18 just showed up cutesy of FedX. The first thing that is going in my new radio is my RP. What all can I do with the stock receiver in the Radion? Is anyone flying with the 18? Thanks for any help. Learning a new radio is sometimes challenging but I hope not to bad with this as I have been flying with the DX6i.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Congradulations on your investment. The receiver has nothing to do with it. Okay someone surely have a say here, but, you have a bunch of preporgrammed sailplane settings and wing types. You might find yourself moving some of the servos/channels around, get rid of all Y-Adapters, study the "wing-types" and "tail types" and "flight modes" under the sailplane settings.

You will be able to program "launch", "thermal" an "land" settings and more as I think there is about a dozen separate sailplane modes in the computer.

I suggest you search around RCG and Google to see if someone already has a nice full house setup you can plagerize and get up quickly. Then fine tune it for your likes. I always work on the assumption that someone has done or fixed this before me and i just need to search them out.

Did you also order any telemetery sensors? The altimeter would be nice to see lift especially when flying directly overhead.
No telemetery sensors yet (have to save some more) but the initial investment is made. I love the way this thing looks, and feels. And, that is what I'm hopeing for here, someone that has already done a full house setup with this beast so I can get up quickly. The sailplane software is more than I have ever seen, one of the reasons I got it, and I'm hopeing to learn it all, just going to take some time. Thanks for your help.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve