HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

(Given the seemingly never-ending argument in these two threads, one could get the impression that some people spend the majority of their free time hangar-flying, rather than actually flying their planes! I sometimes wonder if a certain individual even owns an RP - or any other RC plane for that matter.)

Joel
Pretty nasty comment.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Yes. And there have been reports of just about everything else breaking at some point.
True, but few failures area as destructive as throwing a prop. The resulting unbalance usually rips the motor out of the plane.

I am not arguing that everyone should replace the plastic hub - just answering another poster's question. I have replaced mine but it is because I am using a more robust Turnigy motor and a larger Graupner prop.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:08 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
I'd also like to augment the roll-rate by mixing the flaps with the ailerons
Nice idea Joel,
I'll mix it in tomorrow on my DX8. my son is on school holidays and Friday we're off to the field.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:21 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Nice idea Joel,
I'll mix it in tomorrow on my DX8. my son is on school holidays and Friday we're off to the field.

Brgds,
Danny
This has been much-discussed on this forum, but it is worth mentioning again. The specifications for the stock esc are "Drives up to 5 analog or 4 digital sub-micro servos with the BEC". Considering that the flap servos are digital, we can see that our luck is being pushed with this 6-servo airplane. If you want to use your flaps as ailerons, as opposed to one-time deployment, it might be a good idea to upgrade your esc.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Thank you Jovanx,
I'll bear that in mind.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
If you want to use your flaps as ailerons, as opposed to one-time deployment, it might be a good idea to upgrade your esc.
Or better yet just get one of these.
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16663__HobbyKing_HKU5_5V_5A_UBEC.html
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Absolutely! Whenever you can go "switch'n" instead of "linear" especially with that 5A, and for $5, you win. Just remember to read the docs about cutting that one reduntant "+" wire between the ESC and RX.
I normally push the wire out of the connector and tape it out of the way. That way you can easily recommission the bec In the future should you want to.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I just love these adds in which one line says _ _ _

Weight 7.1 gram (wires included)

and the next line says
Weight 12 grams.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,835 Posts
That threw me for a while too, Zor. Then I realized that the first one is the net weight and the second is the shipping weight. The ones that tick me off are their motors. They will charge one for 100grams or so when the motor is in a plastic bag with a bit of foam that weighs about 3 grams!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderca View Post
Ok you got me. I'll setup a flight mode and put flap on left stick and report back. See you on the mystique thread for sure.
I use the H switch to turn off the motor.

H position 0 motor on - when B switch set to 0, left stick controls motor.

H position 1 motor off - throttle curve 0

B switch position 0 normal controls

B switch position 1 flaps and ailerons working together

B switch position 2 left stick moves flaps.

A switch position position 1 - crow

I'm sure there are other ways. I was pleased at how easy it was to set up on the DX18.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:14 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
That threw me for a while too, Zor. Then I realized that the first one is the net weight and the second is the shipping weight. The ones that tick me off are their motors. They will charge one for 100grams or so when the motor is in a plastic bag with a bit of foam that weighs about 3 grams!
You are probably correct.
Lots of space on that lower line to write "ship" or "shipping" in front of "weight".

The ususal world of confusion and guessing.

Thanks for your response.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:20 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RC,

Thanks! Yeah - it's definitely different than the UMs. But then I've been flying large & giant-scale ships for 25+ years, so the RP is pretty much a 'normal-sized' ship to me - at least in terms of wingspan. I need to pick up some servo extensions today at my LHS, as I will be removing the wings for transport. I am looking forward to experimenting with the variable-geometry wing & I'd also like to augment the roll-rate by mixing the flaps with the ailerons, so I plan to also pick up an AR7610 if they have one in stock. I may have to dust-off my 10CHP manual for this one....
I forgot you fly the giant birds!! I remove the wings for transport also & servo extensions work for me!! Have fun experimenting with the wing!! At first I was bummed at the roll rate 'til a few pointed out "it's a sailplane, NOT an aerobatic flyer" That's why I have other planes for that style of flying, right!!
And I'm with ya as far as the 1s batt goes with the UM Spitfire!!! I think I'd be all over her if she ran on 2s, my 240mAh Babbel Batts would go well with that one!!!

p.s.- Since you've read 'bout the prop/spinner & plastic hub problems a few of us have put this on her along with a Graupner 10x8 folding prop: http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-alumin...ropellers.aspx
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: post script added
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
This has been much-discussed on this forum, but it is worth mentioning again. The specifications for the stock esc are "Drives up to 5 analog or 4 digital sub-micro servos with the BEC". Considering that the flap servos are digital, we can see that our luck is being pushed with this 6-servo airplane. If you want to use your flaps as ailerons, as opposed to one-time deployment, it might be a good idea to upgrade your esc.
Jovanx,

Good point! Looks like it's time for a stand-alone BEC or a new ESC. No big deal. I'd much rather do it right the first time than take a chance on overloading the BEC or starving a servo.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
Maiden flight last Sunday am

First glider flight ever last Sunday. Flew the RP stock except for McMaster cf tube in the wing and a quarter taped to the tail. 1300 mah battery, AR800 Rx.

Little nervous at first but ended the flight with a great landing and feeling confident. I found the RP relaxing to fly and graceful to watch. Looking forward to many more flights. A great addition to the hangar which includes everything from a V1 Sbach um (waiting for the AS3X V2) to the SlowStick.

Replaced the AR800 with a AR600. The 6 chnl takes up much less space. Did a range check at over 90 paces.

I fly most of my models at half-throttle most of the time and have never had a ESC failure...not even in 90 degree plus weather.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik