SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:22 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I still see no warning about running at medium throttle. The warning on the Radian is for long runs at WOT. Running wide open for long periods will surely heat up the batteries, so that's a given. I've never had a problem with the esc getting hot in my RP, but I have had batteries get puffy, even with non continuous successive launches. I'm talking with 30 second launches and a 2-3 minute glide between, when there is no thermal activity or heavy sink. The stock batteries are marginal, so I have recently purchased some 25-50 c batteries. I sure hope they don't use those stock batteries for non-gliders, where the motor runs most of the time. I do think they use the same esc for many of their non-glider planes.
It's still a know fact that partial throttle is harder on the ESC. Don't expect encyclopaedic explanations from these manuals though.

The stock battery is far from marginal if the glider is operated within specs. Climbing in bursts of full throttle protects both the battery and the ESC.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
If the esc doesnt do well with partial throttle than id say its a POS And would replace it. And that cant be a generalization or we would all be full throttle, helis planes cars the whole 9
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
If the esc doesnt do well with partial throttle than id say its a POS And would replace it. And that cant be a generalization or we would all be full throttle, helis planes cars the whole 9
Depends on a number of variables, not least of which is cooling.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:49 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
When I saw some of that ESC and BEC discussion earlier in this thread I popped a Plush 40a ESC on my next order. Sadly it will probably arrive before the PNP version of the RP which seems to be out of stock almost everywhere. I have plenty of 1300mah batteries and Spektrum Rxs and don't need another crap charger but if i have to to avoid missing out on peak foliage season, I will. My LHS has a BNF in stock (for $60 more) so if I can't get a solid delivery date, I'll get that instead
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:52 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I thought part of the problem was the failure of the spinner with it's build in plastic blade yoke?
Of the 2 times my friends RP threw a Prop was because he never maintained the hardware with regularly tightening the screws etc..which caused vibrations which caused the the breakage!
Our club this past summer seen 6 RP's added and i checked 4 of them and everyone the motor mount screws were loose NIB...

Maybe worth checking when new and every 5-10 flights.. i know i do! Almost 2 years now and im still using stock spinner/ yoke.. but of course a Grapuner 10x8 prop
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Of the 2 times my friends RP threw a Prop was because he never maintained the hardware with regularly tightening the screws etc..which caused vibrations which caused the the breakage!
Our club this past summer seen 6 RP's added and i checked 4 of them and everyone the motor mount screws were loose NIB...

Maybe worth checking when new and every 5-10 flights.. i know i do! Almost 2 years now and im still using stock spinner/ yoke.. but of course a Grapuner 10x8 prop
yeah, I've been looking at the Graupner CAM 10x8 also
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
I concur. A ESC that won't tolerate running in the middle of the throttle range is junk. With my aerobatic planes I very rarely fly at full throttle and demand precise throttle control throughout the range. I demand the same performance from my gliders when there's no lift and I do low altitude aerobatics too.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I concur. A ESC that won't tolerate running in the middle of the throttle range is junk. With my aerobatic planes I very rarely fly at full throttle and demand precise throttle control throughout the range. I demand the same performance from my gliders when there's no lift and I do low altitude aerobatics too.
I leave mine in the hanger and fly something more at home nearer the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
The Corsair that has been out for a few years uses the same motor and esc as the Radians. The Mustang also uses that motor, but with a smaller esc. I don't fly these planes wide open all the time, but many people do. It's true that esc's need to dissipate energy as heat, but that's their job.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
E-Flite "Our way... or the pavement... Just Fly"
sliderca is offline Find More Posts by sliderca
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
You're missing out, Gerry. Nothing is quite as graceful as a nice sailplane swooping over the field at eye level then pulling up for a loop, roll, or just a lazy wingover. Anyone can stunt a stunter but low level aerobatics with a sailplane are very rewarding and exhilarating.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,521 Posts
Quote:
You're missing out, Gerry. Nothing is quite as graceful as a nice sailplane swooping over the field at eye level then pulling up for a loop, roll, or just a lazy wingover. Anyone can stunt a stunter but low level aerobatics with a sailplane are very rewarding and exhilarating.
Except that wing fold maneuver into the classic figure 9

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
There have been reports of the plastic hub breaking and throwing the prop. Many have replaced the stock parts with aluminum hubs and spinners for that reason. That however is not covered by any factory recall. The early props is. If you have an original prop without a "-1" at he end of the part number PZ will replace it at no cost.
Yes. And there have been reports of just about everything else breaking at some point.

If you run the stock prop, the stock spinner is more than adequate to the task. If you upgrade the prop to a larger or deeper prop you are placing more stress on the prop system then it was designed to take which can lead to failures.

If you crash the nose of the plane a few times you can develop cracks and breaks that go unseen which can lead to failure.

If you allow the motor mount/plastic nose area to become loose, leading to vibration, this can lead to failure of the prop, the spinner and/or the motor mount.

In other words, if the glider is used as intended and properly maintained, stuff can still break but the probability will be minimal. If you don't properly maintain the system or apply upgrades beyond original design then your probability of having a failure go up.

This is true for the Radian pro and for $1000 gliders too.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 02, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Nothing is quite as graceful as a nice sailplane swooping over the field at eye level then pulling up for a loop, roll, or just a lazy wingover. Anyone can stunt a stunter but low level aerobatics with a sailplane are very rewarding and exhilarating.
When there is little lift, it's fun to play around with some aerobatics. I've had folks comment on how much more graceful the RP looks in maneuvers than most park flyers. You have to stay ahead of the plane more because of the slower roll response, but the result is less jerkiness than the typical park flyer.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Congrats with the maiden Joel!!!

Big difference from the micro stuff huh, LOL!!

I really like using all options, Flaps, Camber, Reflex & Crow/Butterfly. I also have the Flaps on the AUX3 Knob on the DX8.

Looking forward to your video!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
And have you gotten your UM Spit yet? Seems to be the week for them and the reports (if you wade through the busy topic) are that she will do your nice big loops. Still waiting for both of these planes to arrive
RC,

Thanks! Yeah - it's definitely different than the UMs. But then I've been flying large & giant-scale ships for 25+ years, so the RP is pretty much a 'normal-sized' ship to me - at least in terms of wingspan. I need to pick up some servo extensions today at my LHS, as I will be removing the wings for transport. I am looking forward to experimenting with the variable-geometry wing & I'd also like to augment the roll-rate by mixing the flaps with the ailerons, so I plan to also pick up an AR7610 if they have one in stock. I may have to dust-off my 10CHP manual for this one....

Coreman,

I have yet to pick up the UM Spit. I just got back from up north, so I haven't had time to catch up on all of the threads. I'm still on the fence on this one, as I am not fond of the 1s brushed power-package. I hope there are lots of videos showing the Spit executing effortless 'big-air' warbird maneuvers. If so, I may have to pick one up. But I already pre-ordered the ASK-21 to go with my UMX Carbon Cub, and I also pre-ordered the new AS3X-equipped Sbach 3D. Along with the RP & a few TP 65c packs of various capacities & cell-counts, that pretty much blows my hobby budget for this month. No problem. I already have more RC aircraft than I can fly in a day at the field (or carry to the field, for that matter). If the UM Spit would have been 2s brushless with a proper fighter-plane airfoil, I'd have been all over it in a heartbeat. (I prefer warbirds that fly like warbirds, not aileron-trainers or sport-planes.)

Back to the RP - looks like I got some passable video, so I'll put something together & post it later today. Might have to wait until this evening though, as it is shaping up to be a great flying day. I think I'll be heading to the club field after I stop at the LHS.

(Given the seemingly never-ending argument in these two threads, one could get the impression that some people spend the majority of their free time hangar-flying, rather than actually flying their planes! I sometimes wonder if a certain individual even owns an RP - or any other RC plane for that matter.)

I believe it is time to fly!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member