HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
I started to fly his while mine spiralled in.
LOL. I never heard of that and I haven't flown with anyone else yet.
Thanks for the "heads up", in case I ever get into that situation.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
It seems I have to experience every possible noob mistake at least once. My most recent smack down was a result of flying with a friend and our 2 Radians got too close. They didn't crash! I started to fly his while mine spiralled in. I had heard of that happening but never though it would happen to me bwahhahhahaha.
That is a good reason to "personalize it" so you can tell the difference. Where I fly indoors we will regularly have 5-6 champs or vapors or embers up at once and regularly have planes fly into the wall unattended. When a high performance glider becomes the "must have" plane (Supra currently) it is very easy to see 3-5 of them coring the same thermal in a launch group and suddenly notice one wander out. it usually isn't immediate since you are all giving about the same inputs to circle the same space but at altitude is hard to see small trim details and even different colored large stripes on the bottom blend to gray/black. it's worse when the one you are watching wanders out because the pilot needs to come down to make his time and now you need to discover which remaining ones is yours... I always try to put a chrome strip on my leading edges so I get a flash once per revolution from the sun. That helps at distance too as I know what orientation I must be in to see it even when specked out and I can level out and fly back by timing it. (another example of knowing your plane)
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
I've now seen that happen in a couple of ALES competitions when about 10 sailplanes are in the air close to each other but the spotter, if they are on their toes, usually see's that happening pretty and get everything back under control much to the embarassment of the pilot. Even world class guys can do this. Still, its funny to watch that few moments of panic and confusion when you aren't on the stick
yep, and if you aren't actively centering the plane, the edge of the thermal can boot you out (under just one wing). The easiest way to tell which is yours is to reverse the circle and see which one does it. If you do it right you can do a 360 into a figure 8 and get your thermal back. It's not as dramatic as hearing a plane got into the trees behind you and having an extra pilot still flying
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelder View Post
It dove full power into the ground. Thankfully it didn't hurt anyone or anything else.
Why was the throttle on full when it hit the ground?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:

.... one mistake I had to do twice in 2 years before before I learned was not to fly so high as to get near spec-out.
Not meaning this as a criticism because I realize that "spec-out" is following common usage in glider-speak but am wondering how it came to be that way. "Spec" is a term often used as a short for specification. When a plane gets far away it becomes a speck. Just curious.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Not meaning this as a criticism because I realize you are following common usage in glider-speak but am wondering how it came to be that way. "Spec" is a term often used as a short for specification. When a plane gets far away it becomes a speck. Just curious.
That is an example of one of the things that makes English challenging to learn as a second language. There are words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings. Another example is "wood" and "would". I suppose if you really wanted to be specific, it could be argued that spec'd out was being used correctly. In that case it would not be the plane that was being pushed beyond specifications, but the eyes of the pilot instead.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Climb rate does NOT increase into wind.
Rate of climb over distance does increase.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:

Unrelated to rweder's issue; one mistake I had to do twice in 2 years before before I learned was not to fly so high as to get near spec-out, getting distracted and looking away for a split second and unable to refocus on the plane ( near field myopia ) against a clear blue sky. I had a Graupner Elektro Rookie and a Radian, both with 808 cams and CAM ALES cutoffs, fly/soar away to never-neverland.
I know the feeling. I lost my Radian Sunday. She disappeared into a cloud that was far, far away. She is somewhere in the Land of Oz. I almost cried. It felt like I lost a child. It was a real bummer.

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Rate of climb is measured in FPM, not distance.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
There are many types of rates in aeronautics. One is rate of climb over distance. It's most commonly used at airfields located in a box canyon.

A high rate of climb/distance is useful if you want to keep your glider close to the field, or a thermal, etc. It's not the most effective way to get the most altitude from a timed launch. Then you want to maximize rate of climb over time.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:
There are many types of rates in aeronautics. One is rate of climb over distance. It's most commonly used at airfields located in a box canyon.

A high rate of climb/distance is useful if you want to keep your glider close to the field, or a thermal, etc. It's not the most effective way to get the most altitude from a timed launch. Then you want to maximize rate of climb over time.
I would think that would have to factor in wind speed? For example, it the wind were a steady 20 knots, and you flew directly into it at a 20 knot climb speed, the plane would be going straight up ( in a relatively level attitude of course) like an elevator. Is that how it works?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,004 Posts
Quote:
No. As cuff said, rate of climb is measured in feet per minute. You are confusing rate of climb with angle of climb.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Sep 28, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,004 Posts
Quote:

Not correct. Taking off into wind, for example, the best climb rate does not change but the climb angle, and therefore the ability to clear ground obstacles, is increased.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection