HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Some situations are not recoverable, which is why they are called death spirals.
A hard fact that I had to learn a few times. I am encountering it again with a plane I scratch built. Speed is you friend most times.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelder View Post
I was hoping for a relaxing, fun sailplane did I buy the wrong plane?
The standard Radian is relaxing to fly, but the Radian Pro requires more attention. Once it is trimmed out, you should be able to go for half a minute or so without any input. The important thing is that whatever happens when under power is more-or-less irrelevant. This plane is a little crazy when maximum throttle is applied, and the challenge is to simply keep it going more or less up.

The fun starts when the motor stops. When deciding what changes to make, it should be assumed that it is gliding and not running under power. It should be possible to fly hands-off when gliding. When the prop is running, you have to pay attention and work at it.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
rwelder,

Are you trying to climb too steeply? I know on my plane, if I let it get too slow at high throttle settings it has a strong tendency to roll and yaw, as torque takes over and the ailerons loose effectiveness. I could see how might cause your problem.

It can be tough to find the balance between climbing too steep, and flying too fast. Depending on the conditions, the window between the two is pretty narrow. Sometimes I find it's easiest to do a stepped climb profile, and kind of "walk" it up.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
rwelder,

Are you trying to climb too steeply? I know on my plane, if I let it get too slow at high throttle settings it has a strong tendency to roll and yaw, as torque takes over and the ailerons loose effectiveness. I could see how might cause your problem.

It can be tough to find the balance between climbing too steep, and flying too fast. Depending on the conditions, the window between the two is pretty narrow. Sometimes I find it's easiest to do a stepped climb profile, and kind of "walk" it up.
We do not have to climb a staircase.

We can have a stedy rate of climb if we control the climbing speed for the climbing power we have from the engine-prop combination.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
Depending on the conditions ... Sometimes
Those words mean there are variables involved... Example: trying to climb at the ideal speed with an aft CG and gusting wind... In a situation like that, you constantly have to fight the pitch to keep it right on speed, so it's easier to build a little speed, convert speed into altitude, and repeat. The process isn't dramatic, we're not talking about a 50 mph zoom and vertical climb, more like "working" it up.

In smooth air, it's definitely easier/better to use a steady climb profile. It's just not always appropriate.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:40 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas. For the record the plane is BNF with a DX6i.

Took her out this evening to try and figure out where my issues are. I think the biggest issue is definitely my flying technique. I had some success this evening flying into a bit of a breeze off of a slope. It was a handful to control under power and tended to climb at a crazy rate into the wind. Gliding was better and particularly with a bit of altitude. I could have flown longer but my transmitter started to give me a low battery warning sound so I cut the flight short. Maybe 15 minutes in the air.

I checked things over again once I got home and it seems like I may have been tail heavy, (measuring 2 3/4" from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage and then balancing the plane upside down on this spot.) I think that is weird since there is plenty of Guerrilla Glue holding the nose together but that could have contributed to the challenges I had been having.

I was hoping for a relaxing, fun sailplane did I buy the wrong plane?
Climb rate does NOT increase into wind.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Climb rate does NOT increase into wind.
That is true, but it's easy to see how a person can be fooled by the illusion that it is climbing more quickly. What it is actually doing is climbing at a steeper angle, as seen by the pilot on the ground. The number of vertical feet gained per minute doesn't change, but the ground distance covered per vertical foot is decreased.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Well I am officially done with my RP. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I went out after lunch today to the hill I flew from last night. I launched it into a gentle breeze and up it went. I had to work to keep the climb rate steady and the wings level. Once it got up fairly high, it started to bank to the right. As it was completing the turn it started to bank steeper and steeper. I had full opposite aileron to try and correct the bank and also tried to pull up. It dove full power into the ground. Thankfully it didn't hurt anyone or anything else.

I expect I can strip the electronics and the engine might have survived but the rest is toast and I am not willing to buy the parts to rebuild it.

I think I would rather put them into a HK P2K, HK Spectre 1800 or R2H Passer X.

Thanks to all for trying to help me with the RP.
rwelder is offline Find More Posts by rwelder
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,208 Posts
Sorry to hear that, rwelder.

I have a Specter 1800 and I love it but, right now, one can get the genuine Passer-X at a better price and it comes with a prop/spinner. It seems like the overall quality of the Passer is a bit better too. I started a thread on the Specter and almost everything will apply to either one. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688351
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,378 Posts
What is the spinner diameter I need to look at for the CAM props? is it 50mm or the 30mm?
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Well I am officially done with my RP. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I went out after lunch today to the hill I flew from last night. I launched it into a gentle breeze and up it went. I had to work to keep the climb rate steady and the wings level. Once it got up fairly high, it started to bank to the right. As it was completing the turn it started to bank steeper and steeper. I had full opposite aileron to try and correct the bank and also tried to pull up. It dove full power into the ground. Thankfully it didn't hurt anyone or anything else.
Are you saying you had no control over the throttle? Sounds like radio problems to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Could be but it is so difficult to diagnose remotely via text messages.
Yeah, but full bore into the ground is a massive clue. Not many pilots forget to chop the throttle.
RCG Plus Member